Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP C5501 SC 547. Blown 15a fuse on PSU

Friday a great machine... Tuesday SC 547 and a blown 15a fuse on the PSU. The customer has had a electrician in the building since last week and he worked all weekend. Now suddenly there's a SC 547 on the screen. I have tried replacing the 15a fuse...blew again right after turn on.

So is it just a power supply issue or do you think some other thing is causing this?
    Poor customer is desperate for this machine to work again quickly...kinda feeling sorry for them.
    Suggestions? I'm leaning towards replacing the PSU to start with.
    BTW I did put my fluke on the power source (plugged in power cord and tested it at the machine end)and it was normal voltage.

Let me know what you're thinking.

Thanks
    Jeff in STL

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP C5501 SC 547. Blown 15a fuse on PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Friday a great machine... Tuesday SC 547 and a blown 15a fuse on the PSU. The customer has had a electrician in the building since last week and he worked all weekend. Now suddenly there's a SC 547 on the screen. I have tried replacing the 15a fuse...blew again right after turn on.

So is it just a power supply issue or do you think some other thing is causing this?
    Poor customer is desperate for this machine to work again quickly...kinda feeling sorry for them.
    Suggestions? I'm leaning towards replacing the PSU to start with.
    BTW I did put my fluke on the power source (plugged in power cord and tested it at the machine end)and it was normal voltage.

Let me know what you're thinking.

Thanks
    Jeff in STL

since the electrician didn't turn off the copier I would tell the customer the electrician is responsible for the cost of the repair.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Hate it when stuff like this happens!
    I think you're correct with replacing the PSU.
    And Phil's correct......let the electrician eat the bill!
    Omertà

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just got back from this call. Certainly feels fishy that this happens with electrical work going on.
    But, the customer is happy with me and knows this isn't my or the machines fault.
    They may try to get the electricians company to pay them back, but they just want it running.

Looked up the part at Hytec and it looks like $250 buys one with a year warranty.
    Think that's where I'm headed with all this...at least I'll make some labor time and a little on the part.

Anyone have any thoughts on me replacing the PCU?

Thanks
    Jeff in STL

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If it keeps blowing the fuse, I would put a meter on the outlet to make sure it the right voltage. I had a doctor's office that was doing a remodel. The electrician mislabeled the stinger and hit half the building with 240V.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Hate it when stuff like this happens!
    I think you're correct with replacing the PSU.
    And Phil's correct......let the electrician eat the bill!
    Forwarding bills to a 3rd party does usually end up in discussions. Better let your customer have this discussion with his electrician.

I think there's no real hard evidence to blame anybody - perhaps the power went off and on due to this nature of work and at some point this old unit dies during a cold-start wich also can happen to us if we power off old units for repair that has been powered on 24/7 over years.

Other thing is to consider a high risk that you might have not a "PSU only" issue here. Not shure if the MPCxxx1 series uses induction heaters and dedicated fuser PSUs/coil units that might be affected as well.

I probably would not just put the PSU on my estimate and wouldn't recommend any repair at this point.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'm back onsite and installed the new PSU.
    I reset the SC 547 and rebooted again.
    It looks like it's fully powering up until late in the boot cycle and the SC547 returns. So there are additional issues here. I'm not at all sure what to do.
    I can get into the tech area and all lights and display are functioning. Customer even said they could scan to file last week when this SC 547 started...I haven't tested that though.
    My knowledge on this unit is pretty superficial. It hasn't needed any real service since I installed it 5 years ago.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

It hasn't needed any real service since I installed it 5 years ago.
    If it was me, I would replace the fuser just to know for sure that it is not part of the issue.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I'm back onsite and installed the new PSU.
    I reset the SC 547 and rebooted again.
    It looks like it's fully powering up until late in the boot cycle and the SC547 returns. So there are additional issues here. I'm not at all sure what to do.
    I can get into the tech area and all lights and display are functioning. Customer even said they could scan to file last week when this SC 547 started...I haven't tested that though.
    My knowledge on this unit is pretty superficial. It hasn't needed any real service since I installed it 5 years ago.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks
    That's what I meant - you might also have to deal with a blown coild unit or fuser psu. I think the fuser itself is probably fine because it's an induction fuser. I'd stop unless you have a parts donator.