Thread: SCAN TO FOLDER

Senior Tech 250+ Posts sharpmind's Avatar

SCAN TO FOLDER

AUTHENTICATION FAILED when computer name is used in the folder path. Using IP address in the folder path, scan to folder is working. What setting do I need to change in order for scan to folder to work in computer name?NETBIOS over TCP/IP is already enabled. The network is only simple WIFI.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    SCAN TO FOLDER

Re: SCAN TO FOLDER

Did you perform a NSLOOKUP?

enter DNS settings and WINS

do an ipconfig /all
    Last edited by bsm2; 06-17-2021 at 12:24 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SCAN TO FOLDER

If you are connecting to a domain, make sure that the domain name is correct on the MFP. If not make sure that the workgroup name on he computer and the MFP are the same. If NETBIOS over TCP/IP was not enabled, you wouldn't be able to scan at all as that is what SMB uses to connect. In order for proper name resolution to IP address, one of the DNS settings for the MFP, preferably the first, needs to be a part of the local network. If there is no server then it should be the local router.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

NetBIOS is only needed if you're using the legacy SMB port of 139, which is SMB over WINS. WINS and NetBIOS are both pretty much dead protocols since DNS has replaced them.

Make sure the machine is using an internal DNS server and not something like Google (8.8.8.8) or any other external DNS like the ISP. There's no need to ever use those in any environment with internet access as the forward-lookup on the local DNS server will always route to an external provider.

I've also seen issues with IPv6 being enabled but pulling from the ISP instead of locally.

There have also been a couple of models that have had firmware updates for scanning to hostnames in specific scenarios.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SCAN TO FOLDER

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    NetBIOS is only needed if you're using the legacy SMB port of 139, which is SMB over WINS. WINS and NetBIOS are both pretty much dead protocols since DNS has replaced them.

Make sure the machine is using an internal DNS server and not something like Google (8.8.8.8) or any other external DNS like the ISP. There's no need to ever use those in any environment with internet access as the forward-lookup on the local DNS server will always route to an external provider.

I've also seen issues with IPv6 being enabled but pulling from the ISP instead of locally.

There have also been a couple of models that have had firmware updates for scanning to hostnames in specific scenarios.

I remember when Windows XP first came out. Prior to that win Windows 95 and Windows 98 you didn't even need to login in order to scan. For XP Ricoh made a custom firmware available for their current model lines. You had to fill in an online form to request the update.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I remember when Windows XP first came out. Prior to that win Windows 95 and Windows 98 you didn't even need to login in order to scan. For XP Ricoh made a custom firmware available for their current model lines. You had to fill in an online form to request the update.
    I remember the same thing when Server 2003 introduced packet signing as an option. It seemed like they changed the form every time I needed the files. I still probably have the custom firmware for the LD232c on a CD somewhere.