Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Next generation MP 301

Re: Next generation MP 301

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    The next one after mp301 is mp305 its a ricoh the mp401 etc are Kyocera
    I've got about ten MP 305's out at a nursing home. They've been good machines. They are small machines but one good little extra about them is they can run 11x17 through the ARDF and the bypass tray.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

401 and 402 have been ok after the initial batch of PCDU issues with them. Agree that customers that are rough with machines are not a good fit. Linkage from the door to the led array is fragile and I have had to replace a link a couple of times.

The MP501 is not a native Ricoh machine (Kyocera I think). I have a bunch of them and I do not like them at all. Fusers don't go as far as they are supposed to and same with PCDU's. If you are in an environment that doesn't run a lot of volume, then they are not bad, but run any volume on them and they are a hot mess. Tray lift gear breaks on the machine side and you have to replace that entire rail (post supporting the lifting gear breaks in two places). Service mode is very limited since it isn't a Ricoh built machine. Jamming at the registration is a thing as well. Sensors need constant cleaning from paper dust. The entire machine is very difficult to work on for those used to working on Ricoh products.

I have limited exposure to MP305. My impression isn't a good one however. I think the machine is average at best and from a processor standpoint of view, it is slooowwww. I don't see Ricoh coming out with another version or family member of this machine.

IM350 is the designated replacement for a MP301. We have a ton of these and they are downstream of the MP401-402 series and have appeared to incorporate lessons learned from the earlier machines. Been a very solid machine and the processor is very fast for its class.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    The MP 401's and 402's have turned out to be great machines. Updated firmware and the new style drums have solved the early issues.

The 401's have the older style display like the 301's, they're fine if not running solutions like Streamline.

402's have the smart panel, newer style controller, faster CPU and more RAM. They are a better choice if running things like Streamline.
    Anothertech, do your pcu units make yield?

We find that a lot of these don't as they start printing background and streaks long before their due date.
    This makes for not a very cost effective model.

Also the toner and pcu contacts on the machine frame fail regularly.

The IM350 which in our market, replaced the MP402, seems to have fixed a lot of the issues we had before.

I agree on the LED array mech being fragile. The SP4520 (printer version) uses the same engine, and the couriers where they are installed, love breaking them. It is a PITA to repair.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Next generation MP 301

The MP301 PCU's usually don't make yield, although they did just come out with a new style PCU, jury is still out on that.

MP401 and MP402 PCU's go the distance. Make sure you have the current firmware. I imagine that all of the old style drums are gone by now. The new style drums last longer and run cleaner.

I did have a few LED array problems on the MP401's, but nothing much to it. Train the customers to NOT remove the PCU.

The only toner contact problems I've seen were with the IM350.