Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP C3003 - toner cartridge out of position

Hey all....Just looking for any insight you might have on this seemingly strange issue.
    I won't bother you with all the details leading to me finally finding out that they had apparently force removed the black toner cartridge, because it was stuck, and the entire gear mechanism popped of the cartridge and remained inside the machine.

They were able to twist it around and get it out, but then the machine had an SC681-08.

By the time I arrived, they had just left the machine without a cartridge installed.

I started to install the cartridge that they said caused an SC681.
    It got stuck going in. I thought that the exit tray seemed to be slightly out of position, so I removed it, and the cartridge went right in, machine came to ready, and all seemed good.

(In hindsight, I don't think that the exit tray was in fact dislodged or causing any sort of obstruction, and I don't know how it actually could).

I made a few copies, and printed out a few test pages, etc, and I was about ready to walk out the door when it flashed up another sc681.

I rebooted, and then it displayed that the k-toner was not set correctly. I tried to pull it out and it got stuck about half way again.

I got it realigned and reseated and it worked again, and ran a lot of copies, over several runs, and it never displayed an SC code again; However, after it would load toner, the bottle almost always would get stuck when removing, and when I would reinstall it, it started showing that the C & M toner were not installed correctly.

I cleaned the chips on the bottles and all good the first time, but a couple of times I could not get the machine to acknowledge the cartridges until I rebooted. This seemed to happen every time I removed the k-toner and reinstalled .

It was closing time at that office, so I left the machine, and it seems to be working fine for now - at least until there is a need to remove/ replace any of the toner bottles.

So I guess my questions are:
    1 - Any ideas how or why the K-bottle seems to get "off track"? Nothing appears damaged either on the toner tray itself or the bottle

2 - What would cause the cyan/ magenta cartridges to be unrecognized just because the K- bottle has been removed and replaced?

As always, I'm very appreciative for any advice!

EDIT: Machine only has 79K total on meter
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 06-18-2021 at 02:17 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP C3003 - toner cartridge out of position

Maybe this might help. RD147103.pdf

Thanks Tim!
    I did see a couple of threads referring to those springs, but I'd not found the actual bulletin, nor did I understand exactly which spring it referred to, so it's handy to have!
    (Looks like a miserable job too!)

This machine, however is a 2015 build, so I'm thinking that it's not the cause, and the bottle doesn't seem to come loose on it's own.
    Everything was seemingly fine until they went to change the cartridge, and it was out of 'position' and got stuck.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I can't remember if they are interchangeable or not but could they possibly be using C6003 toner and not C3503 toner?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I can't remember if they are interchangeable or not but could they possibly be using C6003 toner and not C3503 toner?
    I think you can use C3503 in place of c6003, but not the other way around.
    In any case, they are definitely using (genuine) C3503

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Did you try another toner bottle? Perhaps the new bottle came from a monday made production

Qick and dirty fix might have been to swap the black part from the old cartridge + keep the new chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Did you try another toner bottle? Perhaps the new bottle came from a monday made production

Qick and dirty fix might have been to swap the black part from the old cartridge + keep the new chip.
    Thanks.
    No. I didn't have an additional one with me, but since both the nearly empty cartridge, and the replacement seem to have the same issue, I sort of ruled out a cartridge problem

I do intend to go back and have another go at it next week and will take one with me just in case. I'm just hoping to come up with some ideas in the meantime.

Hopefully it continues to run in it's current state without issue until I can find the time, because of course, it's also one of the most distant customers I have

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    (Looks like a miserable job too!)
    It is involved.If you do this, be very careful not do drop the tiny springs into the cavity. The yellow is nearly impossible to reach, but I got them in without issue. 1.5 hour. This mod just holds the bottle chip tighter against the terminals, and keeps them from popping out and slamming against the inside of the front door. When I first heard of the bottle popping issue, I thought "no way". Way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikadonovan; 06-18-2021 at 06:39 PM.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    It is involved.I you do this, be very careful not do drop the tiny springs into the cavity. The yellow is nearly impossible to reach, but I got them in without issue. 1.5 hour. This mod just holds the bottle chip tighter against the terminals, and keeps them from popping out and slamming against the inside of the front door. When I first heard of the bottle popping issue, I thought "no way". Way.
    Oh my. Yep, That's FUGLY! - And about how I pictured it.
    ( I can't hit the "Like" button because there is nothing I see there that I "like" )
    There also isn't anywhere in the office with that kind of space to work, if I had to do it.

Again, it's a 2015 build so I'm kind of ruling that out, and it doesn't seem to explain the issue with the other toner cartridges all of a sudden not being recognized when the black is reseated - although, this may have been an unknown pre-existing condition for some time, as they do very little in colour, and have not needed to replace a colour cartridge since I installed the machine a year and a half ago.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Considering that the machine is over 5 years old and it is the black toner that seems to generate the problem, is it possible that the spring on the black that the bulletin says to replace could have been weakened over the years by the heat from the fusing unit?