Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Ethernet error + SC672-11 with new NVRAM on Ricoh MPC3003

Hello, we are Ricoh technicians with many years of experience and we are writing because we have a very unusual problem.
    One Ricoh MPC3003 of our customer suddenly stopped working as printer and scan to folder.
    Of course we first checked all network settings, using new ethernet cable etc. but the machine does not ping and the NIC lights don't come on.
    Having other MPC3003 available, we replaced all the boards, finally (and incredibly, in our experience) finding the problem in the NVRAM Total Counter Service Set.
    To solve the problem for the customer, we then put our NVRAMs in his machine and, by changing the serial number, everything worked perfectly.

Obviously the identical network problem appears with his NVRAMs on our machine so we ordered new NVRAM Total Counter Service Sets (but, given the cost, not directly from Ricoh).
    Installing these new NVRAMs, the machine doesn't go on "ready" and we have the error code SC672-11, which has nothing to do with what is written in the service manual (communication between the controller and the operating panel, control board or USB cable), because our MPC3003 works perfectly with other NVRAMs.

With this SC code, we can't to do a firmware update or a nvram data download from a sd card (SP5-825-001).
    We think these NVRAM Total Counter Service Set are formatted, haven't communication with control board and we have to initialise them with pre-existing files.

We obviously want to clarify that we had no intention of resetting the total counter, but only replacement them because of the network problem.
    Can you give some advice?

Sorry for the length of the text...
    Thank you very much.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Ethernet error + SC672-11 with new NVRAM on Ricoh MPC3003

Put the old NVrams back in and check a couple of things. Firstly, IEEE802 authentication for ethernet in user tools, make sure that isn't set to active. Also check SP5985 to make sure the NIC is enabled. The SC672-11 could be a failed controller but I'm more than willing to bet it's the hard drive.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by General Copiers View Post
    Hello, we are Ricoh technicians with many years of experience and we are writing because we have a very unusual problem.
    One Ricoh MPC3003 of our customer suddenly stopped working as printer and scan to folder.
    Of course we first checked all network settings, using new ethernet cable etc. but the machine does not ping and the NIC lights don't come on.
    Having other MPC3003 available, we replaced all the boards, finally (and incredibly, in our experience) finding the problem in the NVRAM Total Counter Service Set.
    To solve the problem for the customer, we then put our NVRAMs in his machine and, by changing the serial number, everything worked perfectly.

Obviously the identical network problem appears with his NVRAMs on our machine so we ordered new NVRAM Total Counter Service Sets (but, given the cost, not directly from Ricoh).
    Installing these new NVRAMs, the machine doesn't go on "ready" and we have the error code SC672-11, which has nothing to do with what is written in the service manual (communication between the controller and the operating panel, control board or USB cable), because our MPC3003 works perfectly with other NVRAMs.

With this SC code, we can't to do a firmware update or a nvram data download from a sd card (SP5-825-001).
    We think these NVRAM Total Counter Service Set are formatted, haven't communication with control board and we have to initialise them with pre-existing files.

We obviously want to clarify that we had no intention of resetting the total counter, but only replacement them because of the network problem.

Thank you very much.
    Fit all the original boards & NVRam back (This was was over kill for a simple network issue.)

Check this setting make sure is set to inactive.

IMG_8347.jpg
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Put the old NVrams back in and check a couple of things. Firstly, IEEE802 authentication for ethernet in user tools, make sure that isn't set to active.
    I've lost count of how many times I've had IT people making network changes, and messing around in user tools that have turned this on, only to NOT SOLVE their problem, but create an additional one in the meantime - although, at the same time I don't think I've had a single one own up to making the change. No one EVER knows how it happened.
    But the machine might as well be on Mars once it does.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Fit all the original boards & NVRam back (This was was over kill for a simple network issue.)

IMG_8347.jpg
    Restore IEEE802 authentication to default has helped me about 20 times the past year alone with offline devices that appear to have a blown NIC or faulty controller

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I've lost count of how many times I've had IT people making network changes, and messing around in user tools that have turned this on, only to NOT SOLVE their problem, but create an additional one in the meantime - although, at the same time I don't think I've had a single one own up to making the change. No one EVER knows how it happened.
    Usually I have found that an end user has sen it and thought that they could enable wifi operation by enabling it. As for IT, one of them may have heard that it is needed in order for some high security authentication such as kerberos requires it but didn't know about all the other things that need to be changed in SP mode.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by General Copiers View Post

Thank you very much.
    You probably went to deep being ricoh trained engineers you should know the 1st problem with Customer machine would of just been network settings. The nic lights don't always flash on the copier. And now you have errors with the new nvrams is not buying from ricoh
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Technician

Cool Re: Ethernet error + SC672-11 with new NVRAM on Ricoh MPC3003

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Put the old NVrams back in and check a couple of things. Firstly, IEEE802 authentication for ethernet in user tools, make sure that isn't set to active. Also check SP5985 to make sure the NIC is enabled. The SC672-11 could be a failed controller but I'm more than willing to bet it's the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    IMG_8347.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    Restore IEEE802 authentication to default has helped me about 20 times the past year alone with offline devices that appear to have a blown NIC or faulty controller

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Usually I have found that an end user has sen it and thought that they could enable wifi operation by enabling it. As for IT, one of them may have heard that it is needed in order for some high security authentication such as kerberos requires it but didn't know about all the other things that need to be changed in SP mode.

Hi everyone and sorry for our too late reply.
    We thought we had already written but probably it was too much happiness (and surprise) to have solved our problem.

The problem was precisely "IEEE802 authentication for ethernet in user tools".
    We never would have solved it because it was not something we had seen or modified before.
    Our client will never admit it, but surely they made this change.
    But now we have a question: when do we have to use "IEEE802 authentication for ethernet" and why does it cause that error code?

Thank you all very much, you have a paid lunch when you come to Sardinia

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Yeah we had a few cases since ~2 years and fortunately it was a known issue at the hotline when we first asked for help.

I'm not quite convinced that this is just caused by "messing around" in user tools because that setting is available way more years (probably since mpc2500/2800 around). Perhaps some sort of FW bug might trigger a change of that setting.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Yeah we had a few cases since ~2 years and fortunately it was a known issue at the hotline when we first asked for help.

I'm not quite convinced that this is just caused by "messing around" in user tools because that setting is available way more years (probably since mpc2500/2800 around). Perhaps some sort of FW bug might trigger a change of that setting.
    We haven't been able to pinpoint it either. Usually we run into it after power outages but it still doesn't happen to many devices... and we have loads of power interruptions in my country so still doesn't really point to that being the definitive cause. While typing this out I realised that I haven't really checked if it happens to DHCP or Static IP devices more frequently and will start taking note of that next to try spot a pattern

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk