Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    printer installation only on modem

Re: printer installation only on modem

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    Technically if the PC/laptop has WiFi a person could connect the printer with a LAN cable, bridge the WiFi and wired connection and share printer that way and have the advantage of being able to scan to folder

Don't know why Ricoh doesn't ship with WiFi like the HP's have

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I wonder what they are using for a network, if anything. If using WiFi with out a WiFi router or access point, one of the PC/laptops will have to be configured a hotspot. It will have to stay on at all times.

Have you ever seen Ricoh's WiFi abomination? It is expensive and a major pain to setup.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Technically if the PC/laptop has WiFi a person could connect the printer with a LAN cable, bridge the WiFi and wired connection and share printer that way and have the advantage of being able to scan to folder

Don't know why Ricoh doesn't ship with WiFi like the HP's have

Your Avatar says you are a senior tech. If you cannot figure this out this rookie install, I would never hire you.

Expect wireless, multi-platform installs forever going forward.

If you still cannot figure it out, pay some one to do it for you, watch what they do, eat the expense and learn a lesson.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I wonder what they are using for a network, if anything. If using WiFi with out a WiFi router or access point, one of the PC/laptops will have to be configured a hotspot. It will have to stay on at all times.

Have you ever seen Ricoh's WiFi abomination? It is expensive and a major pain to setup.
    Maybe the PCs communicate on an Ad-Hoc wireless network?

Then the one with Internet access is connected directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    While there was no mention of make or model, note that most MFPs (not all) won’t scan if connected by USB.

At least that’s how Ricohs and quite a few others work.

Plus, if there is a web interface in the machine, it would also require a network connection.
    Most of those that can use USB for scanning use pull scanning only. Either TWAIN, may require some editing of the registry, or WIA if available.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Maybe the PCs communicate on an Ad-Hoc wireless network?
    I believe that one of them will need to be configured to provide SSID for the rest to connect to and WiFi security.

Then the one with Internet access is connected directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable?
    I get the impression that they all have a dial up modem and only connect when they need to send or receive email. A shared dial up connection can get very slow very quickly.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Your Avatar says you are a senior tech. If you cannot figure this out this rookie install, I would never hire you.

Expect wireless, multi-platform installs forever going forward.

If you still cannot figure it out, pay some one to do it for you, watch what they do, eat the expense and learn a lesson.
    Firstly, I am not the OP of this thread.

Secondly, my post that you're quoting is a reply/alternative option to using a USB cable (most of us have wandered completely off topic in this thread)

Thirdly, I am fully aware that the age of cloud, IoT and wireless everything is upon us but Ricoh has monetized most of those features to my knowledge, I am fully open to being educated on this though since I have been stuck on site at a major account since the beginning of 2018 which runs a wired VLAN for all printers.

As I said Mark the OP asked a simple albeit slightly vague question and we all went off topic.

I hope my response to your slightly uncalled for aggressive stance is diplomatic enough.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Firstly, I am not the OP of this thread.

Secondly, my post that you're quoting is a reply/alternative option to using a USB cable (most of us have wandered completely off topic in this thread)

Thirdly, I am fully aware that the age of cloud, IoT and wireless everything is upon us but Ricoh has monetized most of those features to my knowledge, I am fully open to being educated on this though since I have been stuck on site at a major account since the beginning of 2018 which runs a wired VLAN for all printers.

As I said Mark the OP asked a simple albeit slightly vague question and we all went off topic.

I hope my response to your slightly uncalled for aggressive stance is diplomatic enough.

Ignore the Canadian idiot. He doesn't even know the difference between the status of a member and a member's avatar. He likes to belittle other people.

Dear,
    You can connect with usb Port or you can connect direct from Lan Cable with Range Ip same IP of Printer (ex: 192.168.1.x)
    (Download driver before connect to printer)

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Ignore the Canadian idiot. He doesn't even know the difference between the status of a member and a member's avatar. He likes to belittle other people.
    I treat my account here with the same seriousness I treat my LinkedIn account. A person never knows when someone wants to check it out or who's on the other end of that job you intend to apply for one day.

And about the WiFi option you asked about up there. I have never dealt with a WiFi option card. I saw one once but it wasn't installed and sitting in stock, was years ago and for a AF1224c or 3232 if I'm not mistaken, the option is simply too expensive this side of the world, after converting to local currency any other alternative is a fraction of the cost.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I treat my account here with the same seriousness I treat my LinkedIn account. A person never knows when someone wants to check it out or who's on the other end of that job you intend to apply for one day.

And about the WiFi option you asked about up there. I have never dealt with a WiFi option card. I saw one once but it wasn't installed and sitting in stock, was years ago and for a AF1224c or 3232 if I'm not mistaken, the option is simply too expensive this side of the world, after converting to local currency any other alternative is a fraction of the cost.

Wifi option is indeed too expensive - you can use a TPLINK TL-WR802N pocket router or something like this instead if you need a wifi connection at your printer.

PS: Not your friend,buddy - YouTube

Be kind to each other^^