Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

printer installation only on modem

Hoi,
    Today i've learned that a printer network installation is not possible if no router is available on that network.
    Or am i mistaken?
    That office uses a modem only to go on the internet and for sending / receiving mails (in fact a peer to peer network).

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: printer installation only on modem

Just buy a router, connect the router to the modem, the connect everything else to the router. You can get a router for less than $100.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Just buy a router, connect the router to the modem, the connect everything else to the router. You can get a router for less than $100.
    Running a cigarette pack size 5 port LAN switch at home and even cheaper than a router.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Yes, we have taken this option in consideration, but a wireless installation of 5 pc's and laptops on a router is not my cup off tea.
    I have done this once successfully, but a very long time ago and as an IT education.
    So to be sure, there provider will install a modem/router...
    And that is what i'm trying to say here: no router, no network printer installation ...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    Running a cigarette pack size 5 port LAN switch at home and even cheaper than a router.

But does it provide DHCP ans/or DNS? As far as cheaper that a router you can get a TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router with 4 port switch for under $20.00. And a wireless network is a lot easier than stringing CAT5 ll over the place. TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router - wireless router - 802.11b/g/n - TL-WR841N - Routers - CDW.com

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    But does it provide DHCP ans/or DNS? As far as cheaper that a router you can get a TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router with 4 port switch for under $20.00. And a wireless network is a lot easier than stringing CAT5 ll over the place. TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router - wireless router - 802.11b/g/n - TL-WR841N - Routers - CDW.com
    No features just a simple switch. (TP-LINK TL-SF 1005 D) but works perfectly fine if used in the correct context and IP's will need to be configured manually if there is no router involved. In my application it was easier running 1 cable from router to switch and connecting everything nearby to that than running individual cables with the switch handling DHCP. Much easier to keep it tidy too.

On a side note the TP-Link TL-WR841HP is a beast of a thing (for a budget router) for anyone struggling with WiFi coverage around their home and if I got one sooner I wouldn't have needed the 5 port switch or the extra router running as an extender.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Dont need a modem, you need a USB cable,
    Just hook up one of the networked PC to the printer via USB. Then, share that print driver over the network. Only draw back is that PC has to be on to access the printer.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Dont need a modem, you need a USB cable,
    Just hook up one of the networked PC to the printer via USB. Then, share that print driver over the network. Only draw back is that PC has to be on to access the printer.

Technically if the PC/laptop has WiFi a person could connect the printer with a LAN cable, bridge the WiFi and wired connection and share printer that way and have the advantage of being able to scan to folder

Don't know why Ricoh doesn't ship with WiFi like the HP's have

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    Technically if the PC/laptop has WiFi a person could connect the printer with a LAN cable, bridge the WiFi and wired connection and share printer that way and have the advantage of being able to scan to folder

Don't know why Ricoh doesn't ship with WiFi like the HP's have

That was my original thought but for someone with limited networking exp, USB is the easiest to implement in this scenario

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

While there was no mention of make or model, note that most MFPs (not all) won’t scan if connected by USB.

At least that’s how Ricohs and quite a few others work.

Plus, if there is a web interface in the machine, it would also require a network connection.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins