Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Ricoh MP2555 and MP4055 series

It seems if I'm to stay in this business I have to start (unwillingly) leave my dinosaurs. I recently(I deal in off lease copiers mostly) helped a customer purchase a Ricoh MP2555 copier. First sight thought it was a decent copier wondering why I haven't (other than no money) gone after the newer copiers. That ended after I started pricing replacement parts. The fuser for this copier and I'm guessing most of Ricohs copiers is ungodly in price. Rebuilding it while somewhat cheaper is not by much from what I'm seeing. My contract prices will have to double as well as my monthly rental prices if I ever buy one of these. These copiers from a users stand point seem to be the cats meow unless there are issues I'm not aware of yet. the one I have out has been at customers office since December. I presently have two more of the 5054 and 4055 going out. Back to the fusers on these units; rebuild or replace when needed??? Even the Ricoh MP4001 fuser is no picnic but I think I'd rather it than what I'm seeing now. usually only visit the site when struggling so not sure if this has been discussed.
    Thanks!!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP2555 and MP4055 series

With those series we usually just "rebuild" the fusers.
    We normally only have to replace the fusing sleeve assembly when the machine asks for it (420k copies).
    Press rollers will generally last for at least 2 PM cycles.
    Haven't had any problems with those fusers otherwise.
    Generally we haven't had too many problems with this series overall! Strong running machines. Easy to maintain.
    Omertà

The message to replace the fuser sleeve will come on when the part hits the PM count, but I usually just reset the PM counter and leave it to continue running. I can't see replacing good parts just because it hit the PM goal. They are really good machines. The 55 series has the automatic firmware remote update. Turn on SP5886-111

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Agreed. I think they are good runners, replaced the sleeve only (non-oem) as needed.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

I like the 54/55's, parts may be slightly expensive but they all seem to run way past yield by the looks of it. Only thing I have noticed is the power supplies on these and the IMC3000's aren't as tolerant to power issues as the older devices and tend to blow up where the older devices would throw SC's but that is most likely not an issue at all in other parts of the world.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    I like the 54/55's, parts may be slightly expensive but they all seem to run way past yield by the looks of it. Only thing I have noticed is the power supplies on these and the IMC3000's aren't as tolerant to power issues as the older devices and tend to blow up where the older devices would throw SC's but that is most likely not an issue at all in other parts of the world.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk
    That is why power protection is important with newer models. Will save a lot of cost in board replacement.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have about 100 of these 55 series machines in the field and some of them are dropping toner out of the cleaning unit. This is causing premature drum unit frame,drum and charge roller replacement. Once the Drum mylar seals warps it will drop toner onto the charge roller and you will get lines. Servicing the Drum unit is a piece of cake along as you don't remove the 5.5mm screw on the rear of the PCDU frame. The pan head screws are the only ones that need to be removed when servicing the PCDU. The 5.5mm head screw at the rear of the PCDU holds the cleaning unit housing in place and if removed and not put back correctly will cause more toner spillage problems.

Im only getting this problem on the 55 series and not the 54. Yes the 55 series has more bells and whistles but until Ricoh nails down this premature drum unit failure my money is on the 54 series machines. If you have one that is dropping toner onto the charge roller replace the frame,its about $60 USD and will save both you and the customer aggravation.

Both series are light years ahead of the 52\53 series.

If anyone has more info on this "lines on prints" issue please share. Im aware of the incorrect bulletin addressing this problem and have commented on Ricoh's tech forum without any feed back.

I have the impression that drum wears more quickly - and more maintenance is needed - if cheap paper is used (dust).
    The dust collector is very important to empty (in fact with all models) at every visit.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    I have about 100 of these 55 series machines in the field and some of them are dropping toner out of the cleaning unit. This is causing premature drum unit frame,drum and charge roller replacement. Once the Drum mylar seals warps it will drop toner onto the charge roller and you will get lines. Servicing the Drum unit is a piece of cake along as you don't remove the 5.5mm screw on the rear of the PCDU frame. The pan head screws are the only ones that need to be removed when servicing the PCDU. The 5.5mm head screw at the rear of the PCDU holds the cleaning unit housing in place and if removed and not put back correctly will cause more toner spillage problems.

Im only getting this problem on the 55 series and not the 54. Yes the 55 series has more bells and whistles but until Ricoh nails down this premature drum unit failure my money is on the 54 series machines. If you have one that is dropping toner onto the charge roller replace the frame,its about $60 USD and will save both you and the customer aggravation.

Both series are light years ahead of the 52\53 series.

If anyone has more info on this "lines on prints" issue please share. Im aware of the incorrect bulletin addressing this problem and have commented on Ricoh's tech forum without any feed back.
    Ive got a 5055 running 40k a month and ive had mixed results on my drums. Some make 200k, some make 100k but the users abuse the shit out of this thing. Last call was for load toner. They slammed the toner in so hard the gear for the toner bottle drive got stuck to the rear and then caked up with toner so it was not sliding on the shaft.

As to OP question on fusers, the 54 series in Canada with our pricing you have to rebuild them, the new fuser is to much. The 55 series it's like 20 bucks more to replace the whole dam thing. Ive had mixed results with my pressure rollers. Alot get a tear where the thermistor sits though it does not seem to affect quality.

From a service tech standpoint the 55 series are bang on. On training the instructor told us not to rebuild them, he had them in schools before becoming a trainer and had alot of drum rebuild failures. We just slam in a new drum when it starts to leave lines and a new fuser when the PM light comes on.
    The document feeders on these seem to be a brick shit house, just keep the sensors clean every visit and tray rollers usually get 400k-500k and are easy to replace.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Have the Heart mobile on standby if you have to purchase a operation panel............