Thread: MPC 5503..

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MPC 5503..

Hi out there,
    I am having some paper jam issues with a MPC5503. The paper is snagging at the gate just above the fuser unit, its just catching on one of the guide veins when they are duplexing. Logic would dictate that either the gate is damaged (it is not) or out of position. I have checked it for free movement and it is OK. I am tending to think it maybe a cheap crap paper issue as it doesn't seem to jam on single side (how many times do we have to tell the users cheap paper is a false economy as it causes so many problems...!!!) and so I will be taking a ream of decent quality paper back with me when I go back to site, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar issue that had a definite mechanical cause?

Would normally check the old bulletins but Ricoh Octopus is a bit of a dead duck at the moment!!

Would appreciate your collective wisdom and input

Kind Regards

Steve

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Re: MPC 5503..

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage tech View Post
    Hi out there,
    I am having some paper jam issues with a MPC5503. The paper is snagging at the gate just above the fuser unit, its just catching on one of the guide veins when they are duplexing. Logic would dictate that either the gate is damaged (it is not) or out of position. I have checked it for free movement and it is OK. I am tending to think it maybe a cheap crap paper issue as it doesn't seem to jam on single side (how many times do we have to tell the users cheap paper is a false economy as it causes so many problems...!!!) and so I will be taking a ream of decent quality paper back with me when I go back to site, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar issue that had a definite mechanical cause?

Would normally check the old bulletins but Ricoh Octopus is a bit of a dead duck at the moment!!

Kind Regards

Steve

jam code...please..lol

you checked the fuser gear, if worn?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi,
    No fuser all good, haven't got the SMC to hand but its snagging the gate over the fuser, ( the one that pivots ) as in actually getting hooked on one of of the guide spikes on it. Its a pity I didn't take a picture - but as I say I suspect poor quality paper rather than a mechanical issue as they are using crap paper and it happens on the second side as the paper is guided out to the bridge unit, although I do recall a bulletin that referred to a spring that gets misplaced - cant check because Octopus access hasn't been granted by the almighty Ricoh - even though we had access to my Ricoh....

Steve

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC 5503..

Check the Solenoid for that duplex gate! Pretty easy to get to.
    I remember in our Instructor led Training on this model, our teacher showed us that you could "modify" that solenoid (put a rubber washer or rolled up paper clip on the plunger) and it would prevent that gate from "closing too far", and having the paper catch on it.
    So, it was a "known issue" back when this series first came out, and I'm not sure if they did anything production-wise to fix it, but our instructor showed us that trick, and it has helped.
    Omertà

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi,
    Thanks for that, I will do a mod on that as suggested. Even if Ricoh did the mod by putting a washer on the solenoid late on its possible that the washer has become crushed or split and fallen off.

I am back there tomorrow so will post and let you know how it went.

Thanks again

Steve

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    MPC 5503..

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage tech View Post
    Hi out there,

Kind Regards

Steve
    For this model all RTB'S are on octopus look on knowledge icon if it's catching on a guide its probably damaged also check the guide and gear assembly on right door
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Look closely at the exit assembly....You'll probably notice that the frame holding the gate is ever so slightly warped.

Ran into several of these. I was actually able to use a heat gun, be VERY careful, to re-shape the "bend" or warp.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi, and thanks to all for your input, problem now solved.

Decided to do some research on one of the old 03's in the workshop, so I removed the unit in question and had a look before I went to site. There is a washer on the solenoid - so Ricoh did fix that problem in production. I noted the single tensioner/return spring on the gate actuators.

As this was a known working unit I took it along, and compared the rest position of the gate on the working unit to the one on the machine - the one on the site machine being slightly different. On removal of the faulty unit the return spring was obviously worn and stretched - I replaced it and all worked as it should, with the gate now in its correct rest position.

It turned out that this customer duplexes everything, and so it is no surprise that the spring was stretched as the unit has close to half a million clicks on it.

Again thanks to you all

Regards

Steve