Toner build up on transfer belt

I was called to attend a Ricoh printer (C4503) that was printing misaligned images after the first copy or so.

Upon inspection I noticed that there was a considerable amount of magenta toner build-up on the transfer belt. After spending some time cleaning it, the printer started to work just fine. However, I have just been told that the issue has come back.

I know that the people using this printer don't bother changing paper thickness, because "it just works", and that obviously has only made things worse. Having said that, the transfer belt is already on 500k copies.

Would a new transfer belt and cleaning unit fix the issue or could the toner build-up be an indication of a different issue? The toner has already been replaced so unlikely to be the culprit.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Re: Toner build up on transfer belt

Quote Originally Posted by arciere View Post
    I was called to attend a Ricoh printer (C4503) that was printing misaligned images after the first copy or so.

Upon inspection I noticed that there was a considerable amount of magenta toner build-up on the transfer belt. After spending some time cleaning it, the printer started to work just fine. However, I have just been told that the issue has come back.

I know that the people using this printer don't bother changing paper thickness, because "it just works", and that obviously has only made things worse. Having said that, the transfer belt is already on 500k copies.

Would a new transfer belt and cleaning unit fix the issue or could the toner build-up be an indication of a different issue? The toner has already been replaced so unlikely to be the culprit.
    It would more likely be related to the magenta developer assy & or pcu what's there pm life is the paper transfer roller also coated
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Replace at least the itb cleaning unit, clean the ID sensors, then run ACC.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I agree with mga. There has to be a reason for it throwing magenta toner. Depleted developer, bad TD sensor or use of after market toner causing over toning which leads to toner hazing. Replace the development unit and only use Ricoh toner. And as mika said, clean the image density sensor assembly.

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar

with that kind of problem i encountered empty lubricant bar or bad charge roller or even bad drum itself. anyhow good luck sir. cheers.
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.

Thanks all.

The PCDU was replaced around 3 months ago (because of a completely different issue), as far as I know all the toners they use are Ricoh originals.

The transfer roller is also affected, full of magenta toner.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arciere View Post
    Thanks all.

The PCDU was replaced around 3 months ago (because of a completely different issue), as far as I know all the toners they use are Ricoh originals.

The transfer roller is also affected, full of magenta toner.
    The problem is with the magenta dev assy and or pcu was the one you fitted used and if new did you setup correctly.
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

The magenta PCDU was replaced around three months ago with a brand new unit. I checked it again today and I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

However, I did notice that there was a considerable amount of toner powder around the opening of the magenta toner bottle (far side of the printer). I tried to clean it, but after 15-20 copies it started to build up again.

This time the printer even threw a "toner not set correctly" error message, which made me suspect that the toner bottle doesn't have a tight-enough "connection". We tried 3 different toners so again I don't think the toners are faulty.

Is there any part easy to replace, that is responsible for the transfer of the toner from the bottle?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The Toner Transport Screw may be twisted or bent. See TSB D146/D147/D148/D149/D150 – 005