Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MPC 5502 adf issues...

Hi again,
    This is becoming habitual, twice in a week!!

So, to the collective wisdom of the Ricoh forum, a new problem that has occurred is a feed issue with a MPC4502 adf. This is the ordinary df 3070 unit (not the single pass). I though I had seen everything possible on these adf units but we have one customer who has ongoing issues with the feeder taking four or five pages at once.

I have changed the reverse roller, the torque limiter and the df belt. I have checked that the reverse roller gear on the shaft is not split, and checked all the one way bearings, and cleaned all the sensors and rollers - In fact I have covered (I think) most of the usual issues, but it still does it.

We have even swapped the doc feed for a known good one too and it still did it, so I am leaning towards the issue being with the actual documents themselves, but for what its worth..

So a brief description of the fault;

Print smc report and COPY thru ADF - no jams - no multi feed issues.

Take user documents for SCANNING and put through adf, takes and separates first sheet and then drags subsequent 4 or 5 pages through at once.

SCAN the same five docs through the adf short edge feed and it copes ok.

The odd thing is that on the smc report it runs through and separates fine, but on the user docs to scan it multi feeds . Its as if the pages are literally "sticking" together.

The only thing I can think of is that as the SCAN function seems to run the adf quicker than the COPY function, perhaps a clutch is worn on the reverse roller drive or maybe static on their job is causing the problem? The other thing to note is that it doesn't register a jam at all when it does it.

And the oddest thing is that the machine downstairs is doing the same thing...........(Arrrgghhhh

Any input would be welcome

Regards

Steve

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Re: MPC 5502 adf issues...

My money is it being an issue with the documents. What type of paper is it, was it punched or stapled? If you suspect it may be a speed issue I think the 5502 had low and high speed ADF free run options.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MPC 5502 adf issues...

NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

users originals were not folded punched or stapled, but I am not sure what printer produced them - I suspect it wasn't the Ricoh but as usual the operator was a bit vague when I asked...

I checked to see if there is a speed adjustment but there doesn't seem to be one available in "feed" or "Peripherals" (service mode) -

I think you are right about it being an issue with the originals, but as we all know the customers expect to be able to scan/copy all sorts of crap thru the adf from toilet paper up too and including cardboard.

I guess we all spend a great amount of time managing peoples unrealistic expectations!!

Regards

Steve

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

I used to find this very often on originals that had been printed on an ink jet printer, hence why the SMC goes through with no problem.

To prove it's nothing to do with the speed of scanning, scan the SMC data to their folder, or email. This should prove it's their originals
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC 5502 adf issues...

You can always bump the scanning resolution up (scan settings on left side of scanner screen), which slows the doc. feeder down, and test it that way.
    Otherwise, Debs hit it on the head!
    Omertà

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi out there,
    Think we are all on the same page here - I think its the originals as well, I need to have a look at the stand alone printers and see what type they are.

Im sure some of you guys can remember when Xerox brought out the wax printer Phasers, the prints they produced fantastic quality prints but got stuck on the glass (and together ) if you tried to put them thru a doc feeder, especially the old Ricoh 401 doc feeds with the white belt that scanned the original over the main glass (not the slit glass at the side that copiers use now) - the originals stuck to the glass and the lamp melted the wax, so it made a real mess!! I suspect that I am probs dealing with a similar issue - albeit with inkjet media.

We are upgrading the customer to 04's with single pass ADF units, they are usually better at bulk scanning of mixed sized crap anyway.....

Have fun out there, and remember the customer is NEVER right!!

Thanks all of you

Steve

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC 5502 adf issues...

Is the customer's office where the 5502 is located very low humidity? Enough to cause static cling between originals.