Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Ricoh print driver - Auto colour select?

What model Ricoh are you printing to, and which drivers have you tried?

I assume there is no Fiery in the picture.

How are the PDFs being created? There may be settings there to create them with “Black Only” instead of CMYK.

There are also plug-ins for Acrobat (such as PitStop Pro) that can edit the color settings in existing files.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    To my knowledge there is no composite black for any Ricoh designed laser or LED MFP and I have been working on them since before the digital . If the pages were created using CMY then that is a function of the software used to create, not the printer driver. If in fact there are pages that are composite black, it is at the pixel level. In color mode the pixels will be printed according to the colors stored in the pixels. That is why they don't really look Black, because they are not.
    I assume this software will recognize the black parts in the printout and will only use the black PCDU to develop that black (and not the CMY PCDU's)?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh print driver - Auto colour select?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    I assume this software will recognize the black parts in the printout and will only use the black PCDU to develop that black (and not the CMY PCDU's)?
    If only black pixels are on a page, then only the K PCDU will be used.

A lot of graphics designers like the look of a "rich black", which will make the black on the page look, well, "richer", but instead of bring just "K", it will be a mix of CMYK, and will absolutely count as a color click.

Also, a few years back I had a customer go ballistic over color click charges. He claimed he wasn't printing any color, which we all know, is extremely unlikely. He claimed the machine was "rigged" (yes, he was an asshat) to count as color.

Turned out he was using his MFP (a Canon machine, in this case) to scan docs to .tiff files, and placed those scans into other docs, which became PDFs, and he ultimately printed those on the same machine.

Even though the images appeared black, the scans were in RGB format (scanners always scan as RGB), and even if the values were equal (which was almost never), it counted as color.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh print driver - Auto colour select?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    A lot of graphics designers like the look of a "rich black", which will make the black on the page look, well, "richer", but instead of bring just "K", it will be a mix of CMYK, and will absolutely count as a color click.

Also, a few years back I had a customer go ballistic over color click charges. He claimed he wasn't printing any color, which we all know, is extremely unlikely. He claimed the machine was "rigged" (yes, he was an asshat) to count as color.

Turned out he was using his MFP (a Canon machine, in this case) to scan docs to .tiff files, and placed those scans into other docs, which became PDFs, and he ultimately printed those on the same machine.

Even though the images appeared black, the scans were in RGB format (scanners always scan as RGB), and even if the values were equal (which was almost never), it counted as color.
    Like I said earlier, when printing in color mode it only takes one color pixel on a page for the entire page to be counted as color.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Like I said earlier, when printing in color mode it only takes one color pixel on a page for the entire page to be counted as color.
    Slim, this software ought to be intelligent enough to understand that - even in colour mode - the black parts should be developed only with the black PCDU, and not at all with a mix of the RGB, no? Of course it is a colour click when colour is developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Slim, this software ought to be intelligent enough to understand that - even in colour mode - the black parts should be developed only with the black PCDU, and not at all with a mix of the RGB, no? Of course it is a colour click when colour is developed.
    Which software are you talking about?

None that I know of will do this natively.

Fieries can (it may be an option on some models)have the capability of replacing equal parts of CMY with black only, but that is a totally different animal.