Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

Re: RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

Personally I would always do firmware my self with sd card knowing a customer they will update and thinking its taking to long then switch machine of by mains firmware is are job
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

customers don't even know how to put toner in the copier. so yeah i wouldn't trust them do a firmware update. and as was pointed out the flaky firmware that ricoh puts on the site is.......

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Anything xx04 and above has the Application Site where the customer can do the package themselves anyway, not had one bugger a machine up yet.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    Personally I would always do firmware my self with sd card knowing a customer they will update and thinking its taking to long then switch machine of by mains firmware is are job
    I think this one is to consider for some large accounts with own (and competent^^) IT departments.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I also discovered the solution to the issue I had (and posted about here the other day) in discovering a particular model.
    I had not really gone through the settings on that machine as I would before delivery, and it turns out, several settings in the network Security section were inactive. As soon as I activated them (other than WSD), I was able to discover and update the F/W with the tool.
    I haven't bothered to try and isolate the exact module, so I can't say which one specifically cause the issue

Attachment 49889
    It's SSDP (Simple Server Discovery Protocol) that needs to be enabled. I tried enabling all of the functions I had disabled on our office MP 171 and then trying to connect. If it didn't make a difference in connecting, the service or protocol was disabled again. Once this was enabled, I was able to connect to the machine.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    It's SSDP (Simple Server Discovery Protocol) that needs to be enabled. I tried enabling all of the functions I had disabled on our office MP 171 and then trying to connect. If it didn't make a difference in connecting, the service or protocol was disabled again. Once this was enabled, I was able to connect to the machine.
    Thanks.
    Good to know.
    I typically enable everything other than WSD on every one of my units so I hadn't bothered trying to isolate.
    I also (coincidentally) had a call on an old MP171 myself today, and decided to try an update using the tool, and it worked flawlessly.
    Again, I'll never advise my clients do this, it's just an excellent tool for me to use myself going forward, and I'm so thankful it was introduced in this thread.
    I'm typically only dealing with small workgroups that have a single machine, to a few machines at most, so for me, it's great!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

At the same time, with SSDP disabled, you also have a great safety feature to keep customers from trying to update their machines.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This is a great tool for all of the techs that post here looking for firmware, it is now available to everyone for free.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    This is a great tool for all of the techs that post here looking for firmware, it is now available to everyone for free.
    Yes indeed and it is pretty idiot proof, too

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    It works a treat.

But allowing the customer to have the ability to do the FW updates themselves!

Would you trust them?

Im not sure I would trust my customers.
    I recently had an experience with the firmware update tool. We wanted to upgrade the MP6001 to accept SMB 2/3 protocol and as informed from the CTN community, a customized firmware existed. After help from the professionals we were able to load the firmware and make the SMB V2/3 work, all good, right! No, not yet, afer the customized firmware was loaded we went again and connected the device to Firmware utility and updated it with the latest avaliable on their website and guess what the latest firmware did? It closed the SMB V2/3. Luckily for us, we realized that the changeover will do more harm than good and downgraded it to customized firmware again to make SMB V2/V3 work.
    I have mixed feelings about this now, as I can imagine the challenge it can pose if, it were to happen to large number of machines in the field that too being upgraded by customer itself.