Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

Tools like this will always just give you the production firmware versions. Custom firmware has always been its own animal since often it's not quite as polished, or is only available for specific issues. At least by disabling the appropriate service on the MFP you can prevent anyone from being able to upgrade the machines.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by satins View Post
    I recently had an experience with the firmware update tool. We wanted to upgrade the MP6001 to accept SMB 2/3 protocol and as informed from the CTN community, a customized firmware existed. After help from the professionals we were able to load the firmware and make the SMB V2/3 work, all good, right! No, not yet, afer the customized firmware was loaded we went again and connected the device to Firmware utility and updated it with the latest avaliable on their website and guess what the latest firmware did? It closed the SMB V2/3. Luckily for us, we realized that the changeover will do more harm than good and downgraded it to customized firmware again to make SMB V2/V3 work.
    I have mixed feelings about this now, as I can imagine the challenge it can pose if, it were to happen to large number of machines in the field that too being upgraded by customer itself.

I think that's not a true surprise or a downside. Even with no tool available you need to "tag" or "flag" every machine with customized firmware in the field in order to prevent that the techs put a newer, regular firmware on it during repair/pm visits.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

I just picked up my 1st MPC3004EX and the tool failed on my 1st attempt.
    I then tried doing FW update from service mode and gave the machine an hour and it was
    still sitting on standby or something but not doing any updates.
    \I went back to machine and it turns out customer changed the WIM admin password and super too.
    I had to do factory SP modes and reset 5846..and keep the admin default PW.
    Now it works via the tool.
    WATCHED the screen come up in both english and Japanese while doing the updates

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I just picked up my 1st MPC3004EX and the tool failed on my 1st attempt.
    I then tried doing FW update from service mode and gave the machine an hour and it was
    still sitting on standby or something but not doing any updates.
    \I went back to machine and it turns out customer changed the WIM admin password and super too.
    I had to do factory SP modes and reset 5846..and keep the admin default PW.
    Now it works via the tool.
    WATCHED the screen come up in both english and Japanese while doing the updates
    Hey Andy....
    Just FYI...While it's true that the Tool is set to run with the default credentials (admin/ no password), you can right click on the device in the list and select "detailed information" and change it (or them) to the new credentials, if they've been changed previously(and you know what they are).
    Don't panic. I'm not sure why, but the screen always comes up in Japanese language during F/W update portion for the SOP.
    (but admittedly, it made me a little nervous my first time too ).
    Having said all that, on the newer boxes that are capable (like the xx04ex), it's just as easy (maybe easier) to run F/W update from SP mode or the App site.

ALSO.......I just recently discovered that the update tool is now available in the driver section for both Canada and USA as of August 18th

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

hey SANDY
    hows things up north?
    the wrong language on display had me nervous but it was not an issue.
    Question can you load older FW via sd card in case of an error or issues arise?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

hey SANDY
    hows things up north?
    To my knowledge and experience, YES.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Absolutely. Same as always

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

hey SANDY
    hows things up north?
    I have not had an issue arise yet, seems pretty solid so far.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

hey SANDY
    hows things up north?
    Yes you can load older firmware
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com