Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

It works a treat.

But allowing the customer to have the ability to do the FW updates themselves!

Would you trust them?

Im not sure I would trust my customers.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

They would have to know to download it first, and then what exactly firmware does. 95% of my customers would look at it, blink their eyes and say 'that's what I pay you for'.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Re: RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    It works a treat.

Would you trust them?

I would not trust much, many do not even know what it is, I have to give them the example of the smartphone and googleplay, maybe something unexpected happens, and I find myself with a controller to throw away.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Has Ricoh published any bulletins on what models the tool supports? I've tried connecting to the old MP 171 in our office and it doesn't see it, even after updating the SNMP settings to our custom community names.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Has Ricoh published any bulletins on what models the tool supports? I've tried connecting to the old MP 171 in our office and it doesn't see it, even after updating the SNMP settings to our custom community names.
    Im just testing a MP 201 which it has found and is doing the updates, make sure the admin password is correct as this will make you think it cannot be found.

good luck

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    It works a treat.

Would you trust them?

With the IMC range best option is to turn on auto update with SP5-886-111

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

With the IMC range best option is to turn on auto update with SP5-886-111

With Ricoh's past record of issuing firmware, then (almost) immediately withdrawing it because of "buggy" issues, we have chosen to NOT use this feature. Why have updated firmware cause problems that just generate otherwise unnecessary service calls? Our techs will update firmware only as it is needed.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    With Ricoh's past record of issuing firmware, then (almost) immediately withdrawing it because of "buggy" issues, we have chosen to NOT use this feature. Why have updated firmware cause problems that just generate otherwise unnecessary service calls? Our techs will update firmware only as it is needed.
    I can understand the logic behind your approach, however, this is a reactive vs. proactive approach. I guess it would depend on how "buggy" the new firmware is.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post

Ricoh don’t enable this auto update firmware for a month after it has been released & tested.

IMC has been out for a few years now so far no issues with this system.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I can understand the logic behind your approach, however, this is a reactive vs. proactive approach. I guess it would depend on how "buggy" the new firmware is.
    When you have a couple of hundred copiers in which the customer's (a government contract with about four hundred units in total on one secured reservation) Streampunch app just stops working...and you don't know why at that point (until Ricoh posts a service bulletin over a week later) you begin to mistrust your manufacturer. They did this about three times in a row WITH THE SAME SERIES OF MACHINES! At least our techs can update firmware after it's been proven stable and can do it as part of their regular service calls as part of their minimum call procedure. It's rarely done as a response to a firmware-generated problem...
    bottom line is we don't trust Ricoh to thoroughly test the firmware. We update all new copiers with the latest version of firmware we ourselves deemed stable within our existing fleet. By doing this, we are in control.