Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio MP3352 bought at auction

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP3352 bought at auction

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    OK. I went out there and found a surprisingly clean machine. Everything seemed to work. It has just a little over 200K on it. I had to put a little twist on the ADF and it started scanning much better. It was a bit skewed. I gonna think this happened when the machine was pushed around. Folks seem to always to push these machines sometimes by the ADF, not the main body. The image snapped back into place. The machine would duplex well in the ADF and the main unit. It passed paper just fine from both drawers. I will say that the copies and prints seemed a little light to me, but the customer was happy with the quality. I was able to get it on there network w/o problem and set up printing just fine.

The problem I ran into was getting it to scan to email (that's what the customer wanted). I used my test gmail account but couldn't get it to work (I usually start out with my test gmail account because I know that account has been configured correctly). I use my test email account first because if I get that account to work, I know that the machine can scan to email from that location. If the customer gives me their email credentials and those credentials do not work, I know its not the machine. I also tried some credentials that we use for some older devices that do not have SSL or TLS that we configure to sent reports to us. That didn't work either. Upon a little more research, I found two different places that mentioned the scan to email may not work will if the firmware is old.

So that brings me to this; where can I get the latest firmware for this machine?
    How do you load the firmware on this machine?
    Is the firmware loaded on the root of a memory stick, then plugged into the machine while the machine is turned off, then switch the machine on?
    Or is a special app on a PC used to load the firmware?

Thanks again for the help.
    and now we are at the critical point ... the firmware is accessible by authorized technicians, dealers, but you can also buy it here from some technician. For the update procedure I suggest you write in private respecting the professionalism

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    and now we are at the critical point ... the firmware is accessible by authorized technicians, dealers, but you can also buy it here from some technician. For the update procedure I suggest you write in private respecting the professionalism
    You can also now use the Firmware update tool, which is a very recent discussion in this forum, and that was only brought to my attention last week.
    Look for my post in this thread for the link.
    RICOH Firmware Update Tool allows users to install firmware updates themselves.

...although I doubt F/W is the issue with scan to email.
    In order to use Gmail (another recent thread and on Ricoh devices at least) you need to either enable "use less secure apps" in the account security settings (which I don't recommend), or enable 2FA and create an App password for the device, which is how I always configure machines

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks sandmanmac for the info on the firmware update tool.

I made a test G mail account that has
    "use less secure apps" enabled. That's why it's my test account. I set this account up first at the clients location and get it working. Then I know that the machine can email from that location. If the customer does not have an account, I remove the test G mail account credentials. I kind of look at it like a fax line. If the customer doesn't have a fax line for the fax for the machine, I cannot set up the fax. If they don't provide me with at least an email account for the machine, I cannot set up scan to email. But before I leave, I know that scan to email will work with that device from that location.

According to the information I could gather on email setup with this device, what I did should have worked but it didn't. I am sure I'm missing something but I don't know what it is. From what I have seen,every manufacture lays this stuff out differently. So I may be missing something that I do not know what to look for so I do not know what to ask to solve the problem. But that's why I wanted to update the firmware so I know that is not the problem.

I told the customer that maybe they should get in touch with their IT department and let them set up scan to email on the machine.

I did convince my boss not to offer a service agreement on this machine as we are not a Ricoh dealer and we would do better with this device on a pre-call basis. I was surprised he agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post

According to the information I could gather on email setup with this device, what I did should have worked but it didn't. I am sure I'm missing something but I don't know what it is. From what I have seen,every manufacture lays this stuff out differently. So I may be missing something that I do not know what to look for so I do not know what to ask to solve the problem. But that's why I wanted to update the firmware so I know that is not the problem.
    What error are you receiving when you try to send, and are you entering the info via the web interface or on the control panel?
    There are a couple of settings on that generation machine that can only set on the operation panel - unlike the screenshot from a newer model I've included below.
    (Obviously assuming that the G/W , DNS, S/M are all correct:?)

One is in User tools/ system settings/ File transfer section under "smtp server" you have to select "use secure connection". It's not available in the email section of the web interface.
    The other is that you need to "auto specify sender" to use the "administrator email address" that you've programmed (but this is only if you are receiving the error 'sender not specified" -or something like that)

Other than that, there are really only a few entries to make - other than adding emails to the address book:
    Scan to email.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Also check if the scanner frame isn't bent - usually it tends to come down in the front/left area since there is not much of a supporting structure. You can install that transport safety part (located behind the front door) if there's no finishing options installed.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ridgemill's Avatar

This model was the last one (I believe) to use the Type 1027 drum. If you order a couple of those they are complete PCDUs; all you need to do is cut off one small plastic pin to make them fit. They are quite cheap, and last quite a long time.

For scanning, I would recommend using Outlook instead. You will need to make sure the firmware is up to date to support TLS and there is a usage limit (which I cannot guarantee they won't reach); however, the benefit is you do not need to worry about turning back on the allow less secure apps every few weeks/months like with Gmail.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgemill View Post
    This model was the last one (I believe) to use the Type 1027 drum.
    You can also use the 1027 unit in the xx53 series, and that's where it ends.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridgemill View Post
    For scanning, I would recommend using Outlook instead. You will need to make sure the firmware is up to date to support TLS and there is a usage limit (which I cannot guarantee they won't reach); however, the benefit is you do not need to worry about turning back on the allow less secure apps every few weeks/months like with Gmail.
    The MPxx52 model line works fine with gmail without having to allow less secure apps. That is for older models that only support SMTP port 25. It is also new enough that the site certificate shouldn't expire for a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The MPxx52 model line works fine with gmail without having to allow less secure apps. That is for older models that only support SMTP port 25. It is also new enough that the site certificate shouldn't expire for a few more years.
    Sorry, I have to correct you here, Tim.
    There's not a single (Ricoh) model that I'm aware of that will scan via Gmail without either allowing less secure apps, OR enabling 2FA and creating an App password for the device

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Sorry, I have to correct you here, Tim.
    There's not a single (Ricoh) model that I'm aware of that will scan via Gmail without either allowing less secure apps, OR enabling 2FA and creating an App password for the device
    You just have to follow the Google support document that I have posted on CTN numerous times. They recommend using the Google Workspace SMTP relay service to send mail from these devices because it authenticates with IP addresses. You do have to know how to administer your Google account in order to configure the relay service. The mistake a lot of people make is they think they have to use the IP address of the MFP. What you have to use is the public address of your internet gateway. Once set, it authenticates all MFP on your network.

Send email from a printer, scanner, or app - Google Workspace Admin Help