Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MPC4504 part number update....

Hi out there again,
    Had an issue with an MPC 4504 jamming on the exit rollers where the paper feeds into the bridge unit. Managed to work out that some of the earlier machines have a set of exit rollers (the ones that unclip) that are bulbous and cause the paper to deflect and catch the entry gate on the bridge unit (especially if they use budget paper!!). The later machines have a flat rounded normal profile and so the paper exits flat and true into the bridge unit.

So here is the question. I have the part number for the early rollers - D241 4950 but not for the newer kind that dont cause the jams.

Would anyone know the part number for the newer rollers........?

Regards

Steve

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: MPC4504 part number update....

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage tech View Post
    Hi out there again,
    Had an issue with an MPC 4504 jamming on the exit rollers where the paper feeds into the bridge unit. Managed to work out that some of the earlier machines have a set of exit rollers (the ones that unclip) that are bulbous and cause the paper to deflect and catch the entry gate on the bridge unit (especially if they use budget paper!!). The later machines have a flat rounded normal profile and so the paper exits flat and true into the bridge unit.

So here is the question. I have the part number for the early rollers - D241 4950 but not for the newer kind that dont cause the jams.

Regards

Steve
    I believe this is what you are referring to?

Driven roller and guide plate.pdf
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Batman1976's Avatar

Hi out there again,

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

The exit rollers of the device should be changed when installing the bridge unit along with a small plastic guide. Have a look in Bridge Unit parts manual for correct exit rollers and guide plate.

Batman1976

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I literally just had this issue yesterday with a machine I sold a few months ago, and had swapped over a finisher from another unit. I was totally unaware of the exit rollers needing to be swapped at the time.
    Paper began frequently catching at the bridge unit gate, almost like there was some sort of obstruction, but I obviously couldn't find the cause, so I checked the installation catalog to see if there might be something that was in fact missing, and I saw the exit rollers.
    In may case I was simply able to visit my wholesaler and grab a roller assembly off another unit.
    I just find it pretty interesting / coincidental that I'm now hearing about this again today.

Anyway, as far as I can see looking in the parts catalog, it seems that the the roller assy (Stupidly) is only available as individual parts, after the initial installation
    BU3070.pdf

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks guys,
    Yes, I suspected the rollers should be swapped when the bridge unit option was fitted, I guess some guys just bin the bits because they cant be bothered to do the job properly.

Sandmanmac, you had the same issue as I did when I first saw it - a WTF moment. Strange thing is as you said, the machine was working fine and then loads of jams in that area without any warning.

Batman, thanks for the pointer to the install manual, that was a good shout too......

I shall be ordering a few sets of the proper rollers..... (D241 4953)

all the best

Steve

Thanks guys,
    Sandmanmac, you had the same issue as I did when I first saw it - a WTF moment. Strange thing is as you said, the machine was working fine and then loads of jams in that area without any warning.
    Haha.... yes, that's exactly what I had!
    It has become extremely humid here recently so that's the reason I think that the jamming became much more frequent. because they've had the machine for 6-8 months

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

hence the very reason i follow the install guide for the bridge unit step by step. one of the first steps in the process explains to replace the bigger rollers with the more flat ones. just saying.......

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    hence the very reason i follow the install guide for the bridge unit step by step. one of the first steps in the process explains to replace the bigger rollers with the more flat ones. just saying.......
    Well, if I had ever installed a brand new one, I would certainly have known better. I also dont do too many finishers. Sometimes when dealing exclusively with off lease units, and swapping parts from one to another, stuff just happens.
    The key is to live and learn.
    If we were all perfect there'd be no need for sites like this
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 08-19-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Like Sandmanmac, I am usually working on kit that has been put together by some good techs and some not so good techs......life can get interesting!!!

Steve.