Read HDD from MPC 3504

Hi.

Is there a way to read the Hardrive of the MPC 3504.
    The Client never had done a backup of addresses. He has over 700 adresses stored on the machine.
    The machine was under water (overflooding) so completetly destroyed.
    The client kept the hardrive and said the harddrive is still working but he can't acces the filesystem.
    Windows says to format the drive. That's what he don't want, he want to recover the adresses before.

There is no encryption setup on the machine.

Can anybody help about this ?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Read HDD from MPC 3504

While the operating system of the MFP is NetBSD, the hard drive uses a proprietary file format. Windows won't be able to read the drive at all. Even if it would read the partitions, there would be no way of telling where the address book data is, or what type of format it is in.

Beyond that, just because the drive powers on doesn't mean that the underlying file table hasn't been damaged in some way.

You may be able to get another machine of the same model to read the drive, but you'll likely get several SC's. If I recall, if there was any information on a drive when transferred to a new machine, it would make you reformat the drive. Check the manual for errors in the 800's and the process for installing the hard drive to be sure.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Read HDD from MPC 3504

Quote Originally Posted by dosrolux View Post
    Hi.

The Client never had done a backup of addresses. He has over 700 adresses stored on the machine.
    The client kept the hardrive and said the harddrive is still working but he can't acces the filesystem.
    Windows says to format the drive. That's what he don't want, he want to recover the adresses before.

How badly was the machine flooded? Have you tried stripping the machine down & leaving it the dry out use a hairdryer etc. Even if the print quality is terrible you only need the machine to power on to ready then back the address book.

Or if you took off the controller, BICU & HDD fit these to a working 04 as a set might be worth a try.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Read HDD from MPC 3504

Whether you are able to recover anything from the HDD, which I doubt due to inscription, let this be a learning experience for you and your customers. Why did you not teach your customer how to backup the address book through WIM and instruct them to do so anytime changes were made?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Read HDD from MPC 3504

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Whether you are able to recover anything from the HDD, which I doubt due to inscription, let this be a learning experience for you and your customers. Why did you not teach your customer how to backup the address book through WIM and instruct them to do so anytime changes were made?
    My thoughts exactly, the minute I read this!
    I'd say the odds of recovering any data are somewhere between slim and none (pardon the pun, Tim )
    If there was ever an example of foolishness, let this be a lesson.
    Nevermind a flood, the HDD could have simply died at any moment, and created the same issue.
    Just a completely unnecessary situation, for what could have been a 30 second solution.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dosrolux View Post
    Hi.

Despite honorable intentions, being able to easily recover data (yes, even address books) goes 100% against most of the security related issues we face.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Read HDD from MPC 3504

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Despite honorable intentions, being able to easily recover data (yes, even address books) goes 100% against most of the security related issues we face.
    This might not be honorable intentions, might be someone trying to get us to tell them how to hack a business.