Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

Ricoh MP 2553 rebooting

FYI - I'm a Canon tech that only occasionally works on other models, so I'm not intimately familiar with the Ricoh sp modes and have never done a firmware update on a Ricoh.

New customer calls me with a Ricoh MP 2553 stating that it reboots frequently when printing to it. I get there and test it to find that it also reboots when copying off the glass, and printing an internal counter page. As soon as the motors start moving, but before any paper gets fed, the machine reboots. Not every time, but about 10-20% of the time.

Machine only has 34k on it and looks almost new.

I checked sp7403 SC history and there were no codes listed.

Wasn't sure what else to check, so I told them I would do some research and get back to them.

To me, it seems like either firmware, memory, or hard drive is failing.

I also noticed a message in the lower left of the screen - " Updating @remote certificate" not sure if that's related.

IMG_1484(1).jpgIMG_1479.jpgIMG_1476.jpg

Is this a common problem? Any troubleshooting tips on this model to narrow down the issue?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 2553 rebooting

Re: Ricoh MP 2553 rebooting

Sounds like SC Auto Reboot SP 5875-001 on. Change the setting to 1 and it should display the Service Code instead of rebooting.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 2553 rebooting

Quote Originally Posted by ReproKev View Post
    I also noticed a message in the lower left of the screen - " Updating @remote certificate" not sure if that's related.

IMG_1476.jpg

Is this a common problem? Any troubleshooting tips on this model to narrow down the issue?
    Very common problem when an end user cancels their service contract with the dealer or branch that installed @remote. The dealer deletes the machine from the @remote server in Japan. I don't know if it would be causing your error problem but it will create a lot of unneeded out going network traffic. Try clearing the @remote settings with SP 5816-209 Install Clear.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds like SC Auto Reboot SP 5875-001 on. Change the setting to 1 and it should display the Service Code instead of rebooting.
    Thanks. I'll give that a try tomorrow as well as clearing the remote settings.

Went back today and set sp 5875-01 to “1” and cleared sp 5816-209. The message at the bottom left corner is gone now, thanks. The copier still reboots when printing though and there are no sc codes logged in the history.

Anything else I can try?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 2553 rebooting

Went back today and set sp 5875-01 to “1” and cleared sp 5816-209. The message at the bottom left corner is gone now, thanks. The copier still reboots when printing though and there are no sc codes logged in the history.

Anything else I can try?
    Go in to service mode IO section, run the motors one at a time to see if if reboots of see if the motor won't run.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 2553 rebooting

Anything else I can try?
    I would still want to try the HDD just to rule it out.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 2553 rebooting

Anything else I can try?
    Check the total for SP 7504-001. That is the total for Jams detected at power on. It includes false jams causes when the machines thinks a door has been opened and closed. For print jobs the job restarts from the beginning. If SP 7504-001 is high, you may have a bad door/cover switch. If you have a finished attached it most likely is one of the push buttons switches for the jam covers on the bridge unit.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Check the total for SP 7504-001. That is the total for Jams detected at power on. It includes false jams causes when the machines thinks a door has been opened and closed. For print jobs the job restarts from the beginning. If SP 7504-001 is high, you may have a bad door/cover switch. If you have a finished attached it most likely is one of the push buttons switches for the jam covers on the bridge unit.
    I like this suggestion.
    My additional 2 cents just for thought, we have all seen flaky power supplies or inconsistent power at the outlets cause weird symptoms. I might look into what else is on that circuit or if they had severe thunderstorms about the time this began. Good luck.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Go in to service mode IO section, run the motors one at a time to see if if reboots of see if the motor won't run.
    +1 on this. I will concentrate on what is kicking on when reboot is due.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.