Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Technician

Re: CL7000 Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    hi, be careful: check all the development unit, and the drum units, put on a table, and turn them by hand by turning the rear gear, check that they are all free to turn, and there is no development group " hard to turn ", this would cause the problem you have reported, beyond the calibration
    Thanks for this. I'll check them when I pull it apart next. The black development unit is the oldest part and needs replacing for sure but it's good to check them all.

Anyone know if there is there any way to "reconstitute" the cleaning blade?

It's a piece of rubber-type material attached to a metal plate that screws to the transfer cleaning unit. It's job is to clean the toner off the cleaning roller but the rubber has been eaten away in three places - down the center and where the alignment bars are printed. I'm assuming the toner has an acidic property that wears down the rubber over time.

The problem I'm having is the printer is leaving streaks right where the rubber has been compromised. While that whole unit should be replaced I'm wondering if there's some way to "fix" the rubber blade by smoothing it out.

Technician

Parts are trickling in. The cleaning blades are used on a number of machines so that problem is solved.

Question about the Black Developer dust filter. When I checked my unit the filter material had deteriorated to the point it crumbled into dust. I got 2 replacement developer kits and the dust filters in both of those are in the same condition.

Is this to filter dust coming out of the unit or going in?

It wouldn't be hard to make a replacement filter from other material but would be nice to know if there's anything special to be aware of.

Thanks - V

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    CL7000 Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Verne View Post
    Parts are trickling in. The cleaning blades are used on a number of machines so that problem is solved.

Question about the Black Developer dust filter. When I checked my unit the filter material had deteriorated to the point it crumbled into dust. I got 2 replacement developer kits and the dust filters in both of those are in the same condition.

It wouldn't be hard to make a replacement filter from other material but would be nice to know if there's anything special to be aware of.

Thanks - V
    It is to keep toner haze from coming out of the unit and coating things that should not have toner on them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Thanks - V

they must be open, to equalize the internal pressure with the external one, if they were sealed, and due to temperature changes, the positive pressure would push the developers out of the doctor blade, altering the expected thickness of the developer on the magnetic roller ... and as slimslob says, "the filter prevents dust clouds inside the machine"

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    they must be open, to equalize the internal pressure with the external one, if they were sealed, and due to temperature changes, the positive pressure would push the developers out of the doctor blade, altering the expected thickness of the developer on the magnetic roller ... and as slimslob says, "the filter prevents dust clouds inside the machine"
    Not sure I got all that but I understand the concept of proper ventilation. The problem I've encountered is the material used to make the filter appears to have decomposed with time. The 3 I've experienced - the original one in the machine and the 2 NIB sealed filters that came with the 2 NOS black developer units - are all experiencing the same issue. They crumble when handled so I can't get one into the unit in one piece rendering them useless.

It's possible the filter uses a composite designed to attract the toner mist or it could be a normal filter suffering from the "rubber band effect." Modern rubber band makers don't put enough sealer or let the rubber cure long enough so the rubber bands have a shortened life expectancy compared to how they were originally.

My intent is to look for some generic filter material and cut that to fit unless there's a compelling reason otherwise as there don't appear to be alternatives.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    CL7000 Alignment

Not sure I got all that but I understand the concept of proper ventilation. The problem I've encountered is the material used to make the filter appears to have decomposed with time. The 3 I've experienced - the original one in the machine and the 2 NIB sealed filters that came with the 2 NOS black developer units - are all experiencing the same issue. They crumble when handled so I can't get one into the unit in one piece rendering them useless.

It's possible the filter uses a composite designed to attract the toner mist or it could be a normal filter suffering from the "rubber band effect." Modern rubber band makers don't put enough sealer or let the rubber cure long enough so the rubber bands have a shortened life expectancy compared to how they were originally.

My intent is to look for some generic filter material and cut that to fit unless there's a compelling reason otherwise as there don't appear to be alternatives.
    You could get a sheet of activated carbon pre-filter material for a small room heppa filter and cut your own.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

It's been in storage since 2013 so I'm not expecting much but am persistent if nothing else LOL.
    You're not just persistent, but optimistic TOO! I admire that, but at the same time, I can't help but take a little pity on you. You sound like a man with too much time on his hands... .

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    You're not just persistent, but optimistic TOO! I admire that, but at the same time, I can't help but take a little pity on you. You sound like a man with too much time on his hands... .
    Time is something that is a scarce commodity but the cost-benefit analysis of fixing what I have vs getting a replacement favors the former at the moment.

I probably have under $1500 invested in it including capital cost. At 65k prints it's still basically a new machine that was designed to be serviced with maintenance kits and parts still available as NOS. In fact, because it is technically obsolete and appears to have been a popular machine, parts are much cheaper now than when I had it in service the first time.

If I can get a few hundred thousand 11x17 black and white prints out of it for a few hundred in parts and a weekend's worth of labor, I consider that fair value.

In the meantime I'm watching for a used Ricoh SP-C840DN as a replacement. Ricoh rep was saying it's due to be discontinued soon, which should mean corporate sites will start replacing them when leases come due.

Spending a bit of time figuring out how this one works should help me better understand what I'm getting when looking for a replacement.

Technician

Wish me luck.

I tracked down a factory sealed transfer belt, scraping blade and black developer so I'm about to do tear-down to clean the sensor reflector. I didn't want to take the transfer unit apart for a clean without replacing the belt (current one has a rip in it) and was lucky to track one down for the cost of a couple cups of coffee.

Aside from being careful with the belt, anything else I should watch out for? The manual seems detailed but isn't a replacement for experience.

Any special handling of the belt, as-in wearing cotton or plastic gloves?

Since the transfer unit will be apart, anything I should pay attention to aside from general clean-up?

Technician

Got the new transfer belt installed today. A good friend is an old-school watchmaker (he can actually make one from scratch) who I convinced to lend me a hand. Good thing I did as there were several parts where 4 hands were necessary to do the job. His ability to remember how complex things are taken apart then put back together came in handy a few times as well.

The transfer unit in the manual and the one we worked on are similar but not identical causing us to ad-lib at points. The good news is there were fewer steps on mine than the manual suggests, leading me to believe they refined the transfer unit over the life of the machine.

The reflector rollers had a build up of grime that took a bit of scrubbing to clean off, but I think they came out pretty good. Overall the transfer unit was in very good condition with a bit of toner buildup around the drive gear. I also replaced the cleaning blade and the black developer and checked all the developers as luca72 suggested. The new black one was a bit tight (I expect will loosen with some use), the yellow I could only turn with pliers while the magenta and cyan turned freely, so there appears to be a problem with the developer group being "hard to turn." Should I also do this check with the PCU's?

It fired up fine but is still giving the ID sensor error. At this point it looks like the rest of the developers need to be replaced, or the ID sensors are actually bad, but I'm not inclined that way at this point.

It is now back to printing very nice black and whites, which is what I need the printer for anyway, so it was a successful operation notwithstanding the calibration which I'll continue to work on moving forward. Here's some pics.

M2670004.jpg M2670005.jpg M2670006.jpg M2670007.jpg M2670009.jpg