Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Technician

CL7000 Alignment

Hi everyone and thanks for letting me into your forum.

I have a CL7000 that I brought out of storage and am seeing if I can put it back in service. I gave it a good cleaning and have resolved most of the issues with one that's very vexing to which I hope someone will have some insights.

There are 2 printing issues which may be from the same problem:

- the colors are out of alignment

- it's printing a repeating candy-cane-like pattern of colors stripes (1 stripe for each color vert then one for each color diag, then repeats). on the back of the page in 3 stripes - left, middle and right. I cleaned off the transfer belt before running another test and the pattern was recreated so the printer is trying to say something to me that I don't understand and can't find reference in the service manual.

Before it was put in storage the fusing unit was replaced but I didn't do a forced realignment (having not read the manual at the time).

When I try do to an auto alignment (which is the only option) it responds:

result = NG

Does the same when I run a fusing unit alignment. I assume that means an error was detected. When I display the error code it comes up

The manual indicates that is a sensor error.

I understand this printer has 2 sensors - one located at the start of the transfer belt (paper feed end) and another at the fusing unit end. There are directions to get at the one by the paper feed, which I was able to attempt to clean up, but nothing about the one at the fuser end. I took the printer apart and looked around as best as possible but didn't see anything, but it is crowded in there and might have missed something.

So I'm just about there getting this back in running shape but could use a little help from those with some experience as i'm a noob.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    CL7000 Alignment

Re: CL7000 Alignment

All I can recommend is run Forest run as fast and are far from that dinosaur as you can. That engine was introduced eighteen years ago. Part my no longer be available.

If you really want to try to make it usable I would recommend replacing the image density sensor, transfer belt and transfer belt cleaning unit. That should get rid of the process control patches on the back of the copies and prints. You may also need to replace all 4 drum units and all 4 development units. Then Heaven forbid anything goes wrong with the toner system. One other thing, that fusing units on those had a habit of splitting the input drive gear.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

That model brings back memories as I cut my teeth on the copier equivalent to that model. That was close to twenty years ago. Service parts for that machine are long since extinct, and likely you've got an issue with a bind in the transfer area, if I recall correctly. Donate it to a museum or take it to an e-cycler. With the age and scarcity of parts, it's not worth your time trying to get it going again.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    That model brings back memories as I cut my teeth on the copier equivalent to that model. That was close to twenty years ago. Service parts for that machine are long since extinct, and likely you've got an issue with a bind in the transfer area, if I recall correctly. Donate it to a museum or take it to an e-cycler. With the age and scarcity of parts, it's not worth your time trying to get it going again.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Thanks rthonpm and slimslob, I appreciate the fast response.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking but wanted to spend some time to see if it was an easy fix.

Your comment on a binding in the transfer area makes sense as the printer "grunts" when it does it's startup stuff, which it never did before, so something isn't happy.

I did a second pass at cleaning it, pulling out the transfer belt unit and cleaning everything I could find, and the grunting has subsided considerably but obviously there's still something amiss. If the belt isn't moving as it should then the sensors wouldn't read a valid time interval and would throw an error, so that all makes sense.

It has been in storage for almost 10 years so not a big loss to toss. Might be worth taking another run at cleaning focusing on the drive unit this time, but I have no interest in sinking any serious money into it. As you say, consumables are done so it isn't really a viable solution anyways.

Thanks again for the insights.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Retro print is the new black
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Technician

Here's a question: can the printer be switched to black only?

My needs are to print 11x17 on 2 sides in black and white only.

Getting the other colors out of the equation eliminates the alignment issue.

I put new development kits, fuser et.al. into it before it went into storage so there should be a few hundred/thousand pages I can squeeze out of it I'm thinking.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    CL7000 Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Verne View Post
    No. Clean the id sensors, replace the transfer cleaning unit and then run line position again.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    CL7000 Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Verne View Post
    Yes by using a black only driver.
    I put new development kits, fuser et.al. into it before it went into storage so there should be a few hundred/thousand pages I can squeeze out of it I'm thinking.
    And how and how long have they been setting in storage. If more than a couple of years they will fail fast.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Yes by using a black only driver.

And how and how long have they been setting in storage. If more than a couple of years they will fail fast.
    It's been in storage since 2013 so I'm not expecting much but am persistent if nothing else LOL.

So I gave it another go-over. This time I aligned the gears on the transfer unit and cleaning unit and was able to seat the cleaning unit properly. It wasn't going in all the way before and I didn't want to force something into breaking but was able to wiggle it in now. All this has been part of the problem (user error). Even though it sounds much better it's still throwing the 070707 error.

Technician

So I ran some black and white only prints through after disabling the automatic line adjustment setting and it seems to be working. Printed side is very nice, as usual for this printer, and it's stopped putting the alignment stripes on the back.

Still can't get the color to register but I can live with that.