Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: MP 2555 drums not making life

I have a lot of 54 and 55 series machines out there and this problem is only on the 55 series machines..The long and short of this is we are replacing the drum frame when we run into this issue. Ricoh came out with a bulletin concerning toner build up in the cleaning unit causing the coil drive breakage but that was not the true issue. So far the only solution that has worked for me is to replace the the drum frame where a customer is having recalls on this problem. The drums as far as I see are not the problem since they are the same as the 54 series machines and we are only having this problem with the 55 series. The only difference between the 54 and 55 series machines is a solenoid for the transport of the toner waste. The 54 series had a solenoid that took some of the toner waste and sent it back to the DV unit for better yield. In the 55 series machines the solenoid was removed.

The cost of the drum frame is about $60 USD

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MP 2555 drums not making life

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    I have a lot of 54 and 55 series machines out there and this problem is only on the 55 series machines..The long and short of this is we are replacing the drum frame when we run into this issue. Ricoh came out with a bulletin concerning toner build up in the cleaning unit causing the coil drive breakage but that was not the true issue. So far the only solution that has worked for me is to replace the the drum frame where a customer is having recalls on this problem. The drums as far as I see are not the problem since they are the same as the 54 series machines and we are only having this problem with the 55 series. The only difference between the 54 and 55 series machines is a solenoid for the transport of the toner waste. The 54 series had a solenoid that took some of the toner waste and sent it back to the DV unit for better yield. In the 55 series machines the solenoid was removed.

The cost of the drum frame is about $60 USD
    I just checked the parts guide and you are correct about the solenoid being gone. Why would the machine not recycling toner cause this? Seems strange but i can definitely agree that any of my 54 series drums seem to last. I think i remember seeing a post where a guy was finding the upper frame was warping and the toner reception seal would leak.

My machine had the exact same toner splashing on the drum blade as last time. I vacuumed the drum unit out, cleaned the blade off and charger roller and it's printing clean now. If it happens again im going to try a new blade on it.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi Lawrence..I have been battling this issue for over a year now and just some observations I will pass on about this problem.

1- Once it starts dropping toner onto the charge roller, just cleaning it up will get you out of the door but you will be back very soon for the same problem.

2- If you just replace the drum/charge roller on your second visit without replacing the drum frame you will be replacing those items again in about 40k or less for the same problem.

3- If you replace the frame only you will be back again because the drum has already been damaged and you will get lines again.

Not all the 55 series are having this issue but once you get this problem this is the only solution that I have found. It happens after the first PM rebuilt.

The long and short about this problem is this..You can buy the whole unit as one piece and save yourself a headache or you can piss off the customer, and after 40 years in this business I hate walking out of a customers office with the customer thinking I don't know what Im doing after the 4th time being there for the same problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Howdy folks

Got a MP 2555 that keeps taking out charge rollers. First drum made 120k. Next drum 40k. Machine is now at 200k so drum failed at 60k. Last call we did install a new transfer roller as well. We always use entire PCUDU. No rebuilds.

Charge roller is always contaminated with toner. Last drum i took apart and there was a line of toner in one spot of the cleaning blade like it was dusting out. I cleaned that drum up and charger and put in a different machine and it didn't make a week.

Anybody else seeing this? I feel like Ricoh is just sending us crap drums.
    hi, it's almost certainly the pcu chassis, it happened to me, the 54 series did it too, the spare part was re-coded, now I don't have the code at hand, but I think if you order it in ricoh, they automatically update the order of the part with the new code, at least, with us they do so