Savin MP 5002 Jamming when printing pages with full coverage

I have a customer who is having a problem with their copier jamming (obviously) it is showing a jam code 019 (which is fusing exit sensor open). i have been there several times to try different things. one issue i found is they were using off-brand toner in the copier. we replaced toner, drum/DV unit. fuser is only at 30% usage web unit is rotating correctly and cleaning roller isn't particularly dirty. we even tried putting in a brand new fuser just in case and it had the same problem. the kicker is that it will print low volume pages just fine. i can print or copy counters and the SMC report with no issues it only jams when i try to print a full dot pattern test sheet. the issue first came up when they were trying to print a flyer that had a lot of black in it too. Jams occur at the same point in every case just before the page reaches the fuser exit sensor.

the machine is an MP 5002

firmware is up to date

any help on this issue would be appreciated
    this is my first post so if i missed any pertinent information please let me know.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Savin MP 5002 Jamming when printing pages with full coverage

Seems you've done about all you can do from a service perspective, and basically answered your own question.
    My most common call for this type of thing is when users are copying something small off the glass like an ID, and they leave the cover open, It will jam almost every time because of the black band at the lead edge.
    It's even more prevalent when the weather is humid/ paper is slightly damp. Paper curl when it hits the heat of the fuser is dramatically worse, and when you add to that, a full coverage leading edge, you have a recipe for constant jamming.
    You could try a fresh ream of your own paper and/or a higher quality paper, and also just flipping over the paper in the tray might help.
    Is the paper running SEF or LEF? SEF will likely provide a somewhat better result as the tends to be less curl in that direction.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Try increasing SP 2103 Erase Margin Adjustment. Lead edge and trail edge Default is 3mm. Try 5 or 6.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spacemole View Post
    I have a customer who is having a problem with their copier jamming (obviously) it is showing a jam code 019 (which is fusing exit sensor open). i have been there several times to try different things. one issue i found is they were using off-brand toner in the copier. we replaced toner, drum/DV unit. fuser is only at 30% usage web unit is rotating correctly and cleaning roller isn't particularly dirty. we even tried putting in a brand new fuser just in case and it had the same problem. the kicker is that it will print low volume pages just fine. i can print or copy counters and the SMC report with no issues it only jams when i try to print a full dot pattern test sheet. the issue first came up when they were trying to print a flyer that had a lot of black in it too. Jams occur at the same point in every case just before the page reaches the fuser exit sensor.

firmware is up to date

this is my first post so if i missed any pertinent information please let me know.
    When the print jams is it catching on the stripper pawls, causing what I call a concertina jam?

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spacemole View Post

firmware is up to date

have you tried to clean / replace the small sensor in the center, on the machine, just before the fuser unit? it gets dirty very easily

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    When the print jams is it catching on the stripper pawls, causing what I call a concertina jam?

thank you for the reply but the paper is not catching on anything

the paper is not catching on anything and yes i have replaced that sensor but the problem still persists.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Try increasing SP 2103 Erase Margin Adjustment. Lead edge and trail edge Default is 3mm. Try 5 or 6.
    Do this.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING