Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Mpc 3004ex, dont recognize sd card from slot 2, despite controller replacement

hello everyone, we have here an mpc3004ex, which does not read sd cards from slot 2, therefore, impossible to update from SD, thinking it was the faulty controller, I had one sent under warranty, only that, despite the replacement controller, with transfer related nv-ram, it keeps doing the same problem, does anyone have any ideas?

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Mpc 3004ex, dont recognize sd card from slot 2, despite controller replacement

Try a different SD card, wipe the card with the formatter first. Keep the folder structure simple, just have all the fwu files in the romdata folder. Try single modules vs package. You could also try using the rfu versions and load firmware through the WIM. The fact that 2 controllers are not reading the card indicates it's probably not the controller that's causing the issue. And I just read in the 6004 manual that the machine must have a HDD installed to do a smart firmware or package firmware update.
    Last edited by mikadonovan; 10-01-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Mpc 3004ex, dont recognize sd card from slot 2, despite controller replacement

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    hello everyone, we have here an mpc3004ex, which does not read sd cards from slot 2, therefore, impossible to update from SD,
    How about trying slot 1 since that is the slot used for F/W updates?

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

From the manual:
    Insert the SD card into SD card slot 2 beside the rear left of the controller box.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    From the manual:
    Insert the SD card into SD card slot 2 beside the rear left of the controller box.
    My apologies if that's the case.
    Admittedly, I only looked at the C3003 manual because thats all I had at the time, which stated slot 1, and its always been slot 1 on others to the best of my recollection

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Might want to refer to the portion of the manual that shows which slot is Slot 2. I have seen the numbering reversed on some model lines.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Lol, WTF. I just looked again, and on page 709 it says use slot 2, and on page 712 it says to use slot 1, only the pic indicates the lower slot, which I have always called slot 2. Thanks, Ricoh

Ok, I just verified this on the c4504 ex I have next to me (same manual, same series): Lower slot stamped slot "2". I installed a 122m sd card with a few FWU modules on it into the lower slot and it started the firmware update process.

And we still don't know why Luca is having his problems
    Last edited by mikadonovan; 10-01-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

hello everyone, we have here an mpc3004ex, which does not read sd cards from slot 2, therefore, impossible to update from SD, thinking it was the faulty controller, I had one sent under warranty, only that, despite the replacement controller, with transfer related nv-ram, it keeps doing the same problem, does anyone have any ideas?
    Never had to replace controller for that sort of problem you are probably using sd card wrong.
    I use standard 2gb sd card go make make sure you make folder romdata for extract sd card files not remote files open side door switch off machine install sd in low slot with is slot2 service slot power up machine. Test slot by try ps3 card and see if on machine easy
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Try a different SD card, wipe the card with the formatter first. Keep the folder structure simple, just have all the fwu files in the romdata folder. Try single modules vs package. You could also try using the rfu versions and load firmware through the WIM. The fact that 2 controllers are not reading the card indicates it's probably not the controller that's causing the issue. And I just read in the 6004 manual that the machine must have a HDD installed to do a smart firmware or package firmware update.

Hi, the card is new 2Gb, I used it on 3 other mpc3004ex, with the same file, two days before, (they were machines to bring to some customers) I also tried with another sd, always new...I thought it was the controller, but I couldn't try it because the others were already go away, today I got the controller from the supplier, and it does the same problem, I doubted that it could be the SOP, which messes with the rest, today I wanted to try to update it from the panel, it was late, and I didn't remember the keys to enter.

regarding wim, i don't have that file format.
    and then I need the machine to work 100%, since if there is a problem from the customer, and I can't update the firmware, it's a big problem

While it does seem to be a bit of an unusual issue, are you opposed to trying/ using the firmware update tool to update it? Who knows, maybe afterwards the card will be recognized.

Whatever the case, if you get it updated, it's probably going to be just fine