Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 3352 Missing text/blank line on scanned document

Re: MP 3352 Missing text/blank line on scanned document

Quote Originally Posted by rdyjnkns View Post
    Good morning KeviM,

This is a legal office and the documents are mostly contracts, depositions, etc., so there are lots of pages. That's why they are using the ADF in SCANNER mode. The court requires that all submitted documents be in pdf format. When they are scanning documents on the scanner glass in either the SCANNER or COPY modes, the documents are perfect.

The first thing I did was clean all the scanner mirrors, and both the exposure glass and the scanner exposure glass. The OPC and cleaning blade were replaced 6 months ago, the charging roller will have to be changed due to a faint line produced across the page. I tried to rub it out, but with little success.

As far as updating the firmware, my Ricoh qualifications have expired. So we may have to bring in an outside tech. However could you provide a part number for the lens that you mentioned in your reply it would be deeply appreciated.
    Depending on the direction in which the document are fed into the document feeder you either have a blur in the slit glass or a jitter in the movement of the original.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Depending on the direction in which the document are fed into the document feeder you either have a blur in the slit glass or a jitter in the movement of the original.
    Thanks Slimslob. I just remembered, when I fed the original through the document feeder in portrait orientation, that is when the line of text was absent. However, if I fed it through in landscape, it came out perfect. How ever they can't use it this way as it reduces the size of any images.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi

Please find attached the parts layout and part number underlined in orange.

Before you change the lens assembly please have a look at what the others have said.

Screenshot_20211003_205709.jpgScreenshot_20211003_205621.jpg

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

As far as updating the firmware, my Ricoh qualifications have expired. So we may have to bring in an outside tech. However could you provide a part number for the lens that you mentioned in your reply it would be deeply appreciated.
    The Ricoh firmware update tool is now available to everyone for free on the driver download page for the past several months

How ever they can't use it this way as it reduces the size of any images.
    What?? Am I missing something here?
    This should make ZERO difference in the size of anything, unless you've got some dirty/ defective paper size sensors

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Thanks Slimslob. I just remembered, when I fed the original through the document feeder in portrait orientation, that is when the line of text was absent. However, if I fed it through in landscape, it came out perfect. How ever they can't use it this way as it reduces the size of any images.
    It shouldn't reduce the image if all the scan settings are correct.

You mentioned the customer was a legal office. Do they use a software to submit documents that also has a scanning option? If so you can install either the network TWAIN or network WIA driver and do pull scans. I had a customer who was a bankruptcy attorney. They user a software that did so. They could set document size, orientation and whether it was on the glass or in the document feeder from within the interface screen.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It shouldn't reduce the image if all the scan settings are correct.

You mentioned the customer was a legal office. Do they use a software to submit documents that also has a scanning option? If so you can install either the network TWAIN or network WIA driver and do pull scans. I had a customer who was a bankruptcy attorney. They user a software that did so. They could set document size, orientation and whether it was on the glass or in the document feeder from within the interface screen.
    Thank you. I will try that.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KeviM View Post
    Hello

Firstly I would like to know if the documents being fed and copied LEF or SEF.

I'm going to assume that it is LEF until you say otherwise.

You say that you had this problem earlier and did a memory reset and it came right. I would say the first thing you need to try is firmware update for all your modules.

If that doesn't work the next thing I would look at is changing the lens and SBU board as an entire unit. Swap it with another and test. These have a tendency of getting damaged if there's some sort of electrical power surge or fluctuations in the area.

Next up check you laser unit and glass shield on it. Make sure all is clean. PCU thereafter check your drum, charge and developer. If your PCU has done some mileage swap it with another 1 just to test if it corrects the problem.

That's the basic steps. Try it and let us know how it goes.
    KeviM I just remembered, when I fed the original through the document feeder in portrait orientation, that is when the line of text was absent. However, if I fed it through in landscape, it came out perfect. How ever they can't use it this way as it reduces the size of any images.

KeviM I just remembered, when I fed the original through the document feeder in portrait orientation, that is when the line of text was absent. However, if I fed it through in landscape, it came out perfect. How ever they can't use it this way as it reduces the size of any images.
    So you said to Slim, verbatim, several hours ago.
    What gives?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    So you said to Slim, verbatim, several hours ago.
    What gives?
    Senior moment. I was trying to get out as much information as possible. In fact, feeding the document through landscape came to me while just seating in my car. Thoughts get scattered sometime.