Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: mpc3002 scan to folder - cable versus wifi

Gift, as far as i have tested, even without a gateway IP it will send the packages succesfully on a wired network. DNS IP is needed.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Gift, as far as i have tested, even without a gateway IP it will send the packages succesfully on a wired network. DNS IP is needed.
    Yes but what about wireless? As I understand there is a scenario with both wireless / wired networked computers. If for some reason the admin decides not run this in the same network you might end up with these kind of problems.

Did you compare the IP config on both wired and wireless computers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Yes but what about wireless? As I understand there is a scenario with both wireless / wired networked computers. If for some reason the admin decides not run this in the same network you might end up with these kind of problems.

Dear Gift, I don't know, it's a highly secured box, but the IT'er promised us he will give us more info monday. I'll keep you informed.

mpc3002 scan to folder - cable versus wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Dear Gift, I don't know, it's a highly secured box, but the IT'er promised us he will give us more info monday. I'll keep you informed.

It's a long shot, but check the network TYPE on the wireless network. If it's set as a "Public" network, File and Printer Sharing are disabled by default. Set it to "Private", reboot and try again.

Also go into "Network and Sharing Center" and under Change Advanced Sharing Options, click on the "All Networks" arrow and make sure that public folder sharing isn't set to off. That one has snuck up on me a few times.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Had that problem one time when we moved into a new office. I had to set one secretary's computer on wireless because her office did not have a wired drop into it. She could print and access shred resources on other computers but could not scan to her computer and no one could access her shared folders. Names, passwords, shares and permissions had not changed. Turned out to be the USB WiFi device. Confirmed by trying it on my laptop, same result.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Yup....Just ran into this yesterday as a matter of fact.
    It's (sort of) a new customer, small office of 3 -4 people and the owner just asked me if I would setup a new laptop to the Ricoh machine for printing. I couldn't get it to work, and then when I did an Ip config I realized that the wireless network was coming directly from the ISP's router, and they had another router/ switch. etc, hard-wired that had different credentials. All other PC's devices have hard-wired connections.
    There's was not set that way for security as far as I know, and it sort of surprised the owner, but explained some issue he's been having.
    He's got a (proper) IT person coming in to sort it out, because that's not me

Mark Bbb only refers to scanning being an issue which (I think) rules this issue out if printing is ok

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    It's (sort of) a new customer, small office of 3 -4 people and the owner just asked me if I would setup a new laptop to the Ricoh machine for printing. I couldn't get it to work, and then when I did an Ip config I realized that the wireless network was coming directly from the ISP's router, and they had another router/ switch. etc, hard-wired that had different credentials. All other PC's devices have hard-wired connections.
    There's was not set that way for security as far as I know, and it sort of surprised the owner, but explained some issue he's been having.
    I set a dentist office up that way once. Actually had 2 wireless networks, one on the ISP's cable modem and one on the router.That allowed patients and their families to use the ISP wireless while blocking them from the dental office network.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I have a similar setup in my workshop for customer PC's or building out an environment to match a customer environment. It's easier than setting up a VLAN or doing a pile of switch configsand still gives me access out to the internet, but none to my AD network.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post

Mark Bbb only refers to scanning being an issue which (I think) rules this issue out if printing is ok
    Easiest solution is (usually) just to re-configure the new ISP routers IP fitting to the existing enviroment. Just take care that you also take a look at the DHCP config and (if you need DHCP) define an IP range that doesn't collide with the existing network config. That's the same I would recomment if a customer calls after he got a new provide/router - it's way less work to tell the new router that it should "act" like the old one instead of reconfiguring SMD adresses / IP ports etc....

Not necessarily - if the PC uses a proper gateway config it might be able to send data to the MFP across the networks but the MFP might not be able to access an SMB share if there's no proper gateway/dns config entered on the MFP.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Easiest solution is (usually) just to re-configure the new ISP routers IP fitting to the existing enviroment. Just take care that you also take a look at the DHCP config and (if you need DHCP) define an IP range that doesn't collide with the existing network config. That's the same I would recomment if a customer calls after he got a new provide/router - it's way less work to tell the new router that it should "act" like the old one instead of reconfiguring SMD adresses / IP ports etc....
    The problem there is if they have all their computers on DHCP they may not appreciate having to reboot all their computers, AGAIN.

If you get a customer who likes to change providers often with a different subnet causing you to have go out and reconfigure printing, what I used to do was set the MFP to DHCP and set the print port to use the printer host name instead of IP address.