Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jam (057) on MPC 3004 every time

Hi all,
    I'll start from beginning, customer called me out maybe a year ago for making a noise and jamming. Got there changed some feed tyres, checked around for what could be making noise didn't find anything, machine started working fine.
    6 months ago they log a call for same thing, I spend about an hour checking over parts, looking for anything that could be causing it. It pulls the paper out of the tray, skews it somewhere between paper feed and transfer I believe, makes a kind of grinding noise and jams when it gets half way through the fuser. I fit new tray 1 and 2 feed motors, swapped whole feed unit. Problem went away but I still wasn't sure. Recently they called again saying same problem again. This time I just swapped the machine out so I could bring it back here to work on.
    I put it next to another MPC 3004. In total I swapped ITB, Fuser, Whole duplex door, Transfer assembly, Feed units, Feed motors and clutches I think. The problem still remains. Can't get a single page from any tray, always makes the awful noise, skews and jams half way through fuser. Jam code 057. Machine also had firmware update. Done 730k total so it's hardly a new one.
    At this point I've run out of things to swap, from where the paper starts, feeds upwards, is all new parts?! Anyone else had this or have an idea what else to swap next. Next thing on my list was paper exit/interchange unit, but considering it skews before it even gets to the fuser, it can't be that.
    Any new ideas will be appreciated

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: Jam (057) on MPC 3004 every time

Might be the combined fuser/paper exit drive assy, I think it contains a torque limiter and one way clutch gear that can become faulty. Also check if all junction gates are moving freely / aren't sticky. The fuser sleeve itself can also cause jam issues if it's not sliding smoothly over it's internal contact plate - usually it does work in A4/LTR SEF mode because there's more friction between sleeve and press roller.

Skewing is also not good - check the reg roller bushings and the transport belts in the right doors / vertical transport - i'd probably check these things first before considering the fuser/drive stuff.

Good luck^^

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Check registration roller tension springs.

Sorry to clarify, what I call transfer roller, is what you call registration roller. It's just an old habit of mine.
    From what I can see the junction gate above fuser is in correct place as when you run it SEF a tiny bit of it does poke out at the paper exit, meaning it is going the right way.
    But already has new fuser and the entire duplex door, containing all the little feed belts etc and registration assembly (the entire unit) and I know all these parts are ok because when I put them all back in the other 3004 it works fine. The fault never swaps between machines no matter how many parts I swap.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Well then I'd probably go for the fuser drive assy even if that won't explain the skewing.

Once I had a weird noise from the transfer roller assy (the real one^^) - there's a discharge metal plate with tiny metal spikes in a row - one was bent up.

Yeh I know the ones you mean, makes a kind of scratching sound, have to press them back down with small flat blade sometimes.
    Ok so now I have swapped out fuser feed, whole paper exit unit, fusing motor, paper exit/pressure release motor, paper transfer contact and release motor and still has the exact same problem.
    I think this is the most parts I have ever swapped out between 2 machines before and still seen no change. The only thing from here is pulling out every single object that turns in the back of the machine during paper feed process... not quite a job for 4pm on a Friday though...
    Also worth mentioning as I forgot earlier, have run every OUTPUT mode on it and none of them replicate the awful grinding noise it makes, they all run fine

Retired 10,000+ Posts

J057 is a registration sensor LAG jam. That means that timing of the trail edge at the sensor is not correct. It could be the sensor, the registration clutch or the wrong paper size.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    J057 is a registration sensor LAG jam. That means that timing of the trail edge at the sensor is not correct. It could be the sensor, the registration clutch or the wrong paper size.
    +1 on the Registration clutch/ motor.
    Omertà

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Well then I'd probably go for the fuser drive assy even if that won't explain the skewing.

Once I had a weird noise from the transfer roller assy (the real one^^) - there's a discharge metal plate with tiny metal spikes in a row - one was bent up.
    That happens on the older machines designed changed on 03 series.
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Hi all,
    I'll start from beginning, customer called me out maybe a year ago for making a noise and jamming. Got there changed some feed tyres, checked around for what could be making noise didn't find anything, machine started working fine.
    6 months ago they log a call for same thing, I spend about an hour checking over parts, looking for anything that could be causing it. It pulls the paper out of the tray, skews it somewhere between paper feed and transfer I believe, makes a kind of grinding noise and jams when it gets half way through the fuser. I fit new tray 1 and 2 feed motors, swapped whole feed unit. Problem went away but I still wasn't sure. Recently they called again saying same problem again. This time I just swapped the machine out so I could bring it back here to work on.
    I put it next to another MPC 3004. In total I swapped ITB, Fuser, Whole duplex door, Transfer assembly, Feed units, Feed motors and clutches I think. The problem still remains. Can't get a single page from any tray, always makes the awful noise, skews and jams half way through fuser. Jam code 057. Machine also had firmware update. Done 730k total so it's hardly a new one.
    At this point I've run out of things to swap, from where the paper starts, feeds upwards, is all new parts?! Anyone else had this or have an idea what else to swap next. Next thing on my list was paper exit/interchange unit, but considering it skews before it even gets to the fuser, it can't be that.
    Any new ideas will be appreciated
    Could it have anything to do with the ptr assy or transfer assy locking up bearing come out of place
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com