Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh C2800 - Power, but doesn't turn on...

Re: Ricoh C2800 - Power, but doesn't turn on...

Quote Originally Posted by HRR-Martin View Post
    Good morning,
    is it possible to load firmware on a SD Card and where could I find the firmware?

Many Thanks
    Your machine isn't booting up at all. The firmware and/ or HDD are not the issue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Good morning,
    Thank you for your help so far, I have tried using a flashlight and nothing is showing on the screen, I have unplugged the polygon mirror motor and still no difference...

I did wonder where the firmware is stored, as there is no SD Card and hard drive doesn't seem to spin up when the copier is turned on, I did connect the drive to pc and it spins up, but has no recognisable partition?

is it possible to load firmware on a SD Card and where could I find the firmware?

Many Thanks
    Take a look at the zero ohm SMD resistors at the BICU pcb near the power supply connector (the white one with the thicker cables).
    As mentioned you can't load any firmware if the machine doesn't do anything - even with a faulty firmware it must lit up the LCD backlight
    and tell you a "please wait" message. It's also OK if you can't see anything on the HDD via PC.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ricoh C2800 - Power, but doesn't turn on...

It has happened to me similar and it was polygon and bicu

you must change them to time, eye, to time.

You can also repair the bicu, but you must change the polygon.

it is better to change it as the seniors say

Quote Originally Posted by MIGUELMARCHENA View Post
    It has happened to me similar and it was polygon and bicu

you must change them to time, eye, to time.

You can also repair the bicu, but you must change the polygon.

it is better to change it as the seniors say
    I always repaired them with a large "blop" of solder to bridge the faulty resistor + new polygon mirror motor

I'd bet nowadays most of these machines are still printing in copier export countries, crossing my fingers they will not explode^^

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copytrust's Avatar

It seems a like a common bad polygon and BICU problem you can still check the SC even if the panel does not light.

1) power the machine wait a 1 minute and put a flashlight on the panel you may have the ability to see the SC displayed (propably SC202).

2) power the machine wait a 2 minutes and insert the ip address of the machine on a web broswer you will see the SC displayed there.

In both cases you will propably have a SC202 and you need to replace BICU and POLYGON motor as a SET, or otherwise you might risk to blow the other BICU as well.
    If you replace them you also have to add the serial number of the machine or you will get another SC.

Good morning...

I have checked the zero ohm SMD resistors by the power connector on the BICU, I also checked them further left and on top right of the board and all are showing continuity...

I have measured the voltages at the connectors at the PSU end, however I am unsure if these voltages are normal for standby...

Ricoh C2800 - Voltages in Standby.jpg

I still have the polygon mirror motor disconnected, I checked power to the HDD (out of curiosity) and it is receiving 5v, but not 12v.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the PSU board, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Good morning...

I have checked the zero ohm SMD resistors by the power connector on the BICU, I also checked them further left and on top right of the board and all are showing continuity...

I have measured the voltages at the connectors at the PSU end, however I am unsure if these voltages are normal for standby...

I still have the polygon mirror motor disconnected, I checked power to the HDD (out of curiosity) and it is receiving 5v, but not 12v.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the PSU board, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
    It's possible, this series vanished in my field years ago due to it's age so that BICU issue was the last thing I recalled. Of course it's possible that the PSU is bad but it's also possible that other problems lead to this symptome because the PSU won't put out certain voltages until other PCBs are good to go. At this point it seems we ruled out known issues and without a parts donator it's hard to find the culprit without dumping a lot of money and/or time.

You can inspect the PSU for bad fuses/capacitors or any "burnt parts" or bad solder spots.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

First thing i would try is to disconnect the power supply from the boards and check its voltage. Its a dumb one so it will deliver power even with no load. So you can rule that out.
    Another case in these copiers that has the symptoms you exposed is the control pannel board itself. You can try to disconnect it and see if there is some activity on the machine.
    I dont remember if this model has a flat cable that connects the controller with the I/O board but if it has (like MPC2500) and this cable is loose you'll get only a green light on the control pannel.

Quote Originally Posted by skynetto View Post
    First thing i would try is to disconnect the power supply from the boards and check its voltage. Its a dumb one so it will deliver power even with no load. So you can rule that out.
    Another case in these copiers that has the symptoms you exposed is the control pannel board itself. You can try to disconnect it and see if there is some activity on the machine.
    I dont remember if this model has a flat cable that connects the controller with the I/O board but if it has (like MPC2500) and this cable is loose you'll get only a green light on the control pannel.
    Hiya.
    thanks for this information, I'm getting less than 1v on anything other than a 5vcce power, so I'm guessing I need to look for a replacement power board...

Hiya.
    thanks for this information, I'm getting less than 1v on anything other than a 5vcce power, so I'm guessing I need to look for a replacement power board...

I'd expect this to be the normal state if the PSU (for some reason) does not get the ready signal to fire up all voltages. If you have access to another ricoh you can try and disconnect all BICU/IOB connections and check if there's any 24v showing up after turning on the main switch - I would not expect that.