Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

mp 2852 edit pdf file unable to printout, non edit pdf file no problem printing

Hi I have a customer trying to print out edited pdf to the copier from the computer, the file was received by the machine as the print light is on when the machine received it, but the document was not printed out. Normal pdf document that is not edited can print out without any issues. The customer is a tuition centre and they do some editing on the document before printing. What is the problem, is it the adobe reader software or any setting to be done. Thx

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: mp 2852 edit pdf file unable to printout, non edit pdf file no problem printing

Edited in what way? Is it a form or are they actually changing the content of the file?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: mp 2852 edit pdf file unable to printout, non edit pdf file no problem printing

First thing I would do is update everything you can. Update machine firmware, print driver, see if there is a newer version of Adobe Reader.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

By tuition center do you mean that they are part of a college or university? If so, it might not be Adobe that they are using to edit the files. Many universities have 4 or 5 specialized software packages that they use campus wide for various functions. To have to exit one of those and launch Adobe so the packages have built in function to work with .pdf files. If this is something that has come up recently it might be that the software has been updated and a B/W MFP as old as the 2852might not be compatible.

Another thing that will cause an older Ricoh to do that is a font, graphics character on scrolling text that the 2852 can not resolve. Have them try using Print Preview and then send to print from the preview screen. This "flattens" the file removing anything that the printer cannot handle. It is similar to the cause of SC 899.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Start simple.

Do they have another printer to send to, Ricoh or otherwise?

If the problem persists, it’s most likely not the printer’s issue.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Start simple.

Do they have another printer to send to, Ricoh or otherwise?

If the problem persists, it’s most likely not the printer’s issue.
    I think this is the most logical first step for sure.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ttean View Post
    Hi I have a customer trying to print out edited pdf to the copier from the computer, the file was received by the machine as the print light is on when the machine received it, but the document was not printed out. Normal pdf document that is not edited can print out without any issues. The customer is a tuition centre and they do some editing on the document before printing. What is the problem, is it the adobe reader software or any setting to be done. Thx

you must also see what he uses to modify the pdf, it may be that the generated pdf does not reflect the compliance of the pdf (?) I would do this:
    - set in printer setting> delete job with error = no (it seems to me to be called that)
    - continuos automaticaly=yes (its always a good idea)
    - try on another printer
    - try from another pdf editor
    - firmware update of everything
    - update the drivers
    - possibly also sp 801-printer

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Try another PDF reader program to print it as Luca suggested.
    I personally can't print PDF invoices from a specific supplier with my default PDF Reader program (which is Foxit reader), and it's been going on for months. I have no other printing issues.
    It's quite a mystery
    The data light flashes briefly, then goes out and there is no error on the PC, and the print queue is empty.
    This happens on every Ricoh Machine I've tried (at least 5 models).
    I open the doc with Adobe, and it prints without issue.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I wonder, what is the port that the 2852 driver is using? I have seen the WMI port take over 30 minutes to print just 1 page of a pdf. How long has the customer waited for the file to print?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Some brilliant suggestions by the techs here.

Here's some stuff I would try ( as suggested by the other techs)

1) if you have another printer try to print that same file to that printer and note the outcome. If the delay is the same then it will most likely be a software issue.

2) like slimslob said, if the document is edited it might not be a pdf at the moment of printing. Try compiling and then printing. You could try something like this, print to an app called cutepdf, then print to the Ricoh.

3) definitely update all your firmware and drivers.

4) what is the size of the file they are trying to print? The larger the file the longer it takes to print

5) how old is your network infrastructure? An old network will drastically slow down your printing. I've experienced this first hand.
    Try printing the same file that giving a problem, using the same program but with a laptop connected directly to the printer using a crossover cable.

Hope this helps