Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Ricoh firmware update tools it's a lie!

hello everyone, after having tested RFUT on various machines in the laboratory, with encouraging results, today, he called one of our customers whose it service required an fw update, on our mpc3003 and 2003 by scanning to folder, then, since it is in center in Milan,it is never parking, I connected remotely, and I directly downloaded, and installed RFUT directly on the client's PC, well, I ran everything, on one machine and then on the other, everything went smoothly, however, I noticed which took too little time, about 30 seconds) then I got suspicious, and I opened WIM and compared the versions on the octopus site, and in fact, it hasn't updated anything! do you have any idea?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh firmware update tools it's a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    hello everyone, after having tested RFUT on various machines in the laboratory, with encouraging results, today, he called one of our customers whose it service required an fw update, on our mpc3003 and 2003 by scanning to folder, then, since it is in center in Milan,it is never parking, I connected remotely, and I directly downloaded, and installed RFUT directly on the client's PC, well, I ran everything, on one machine and then on the other, everything went smoothly, however, I noticed which took too little time, about 30 seconds) then I got suspicious, and I opened WIM and compared the versions on the octopus site, and in fact, it hasn't updated anything! do you have any idea?
    Try updating at another customer machine... same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Try updating at another customer machine... same?
    hi Mark, this is the first, remotely, another I tried in person on an mpc2051, I could not see it on the net, but that is another story, maybe I was on another network segment, and I gave up, I wasn't there for that either, I did it as proof, here in the lab it worked

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I also like to use this tool (remotely), but i have never really checked afterwards if the upgrade was more recent or not.
    In fact, sometimes i also think that this upgrade is not the latest and sometimes even deprecated than the previous!
    I just trust Ricoh is doing their job.
    Last edited by Mark Bbb; 11-12-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    I also like to use this tool (remotely), but i have never really checked afterwards if the upgrade was more recent or not.
    In fact, sometimes i also think that this upgrade is not the latest and sometimes even deprecated than the previous!
    I just trust Ricoh is doing their job.
    I don't think that the tool would ever roll back any F/W versions, but I can confirm that just yesterday I was called by a referral customer that had acquired an MP402 and needed it setup in his home office. I figured that it may need a F/W update and after attempting to setup scan to folder and failing, I went ahead and ran the tool from my own laptop, and as indicated by Luca, it finished quickly and stated "Latest".
    I then ran the update from service mode and found a newer package to download and install, so Yes, it seems that the Tool doesn't necessarily update to the very latest version.

ALSO, on a side note I am also frustrated by the fact that basically the day that a newer version of the tool is released, the previous version is no longer useable, as I just found out when I opened it up. The new version (1.3) was released on Nov. 10th and my version MUST be updated in order to use it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Great idea, but lousy execution.

Overall, I think the tool is a very bad idea.

Borked firmware updates are responsible for far too many bricked machines.

Even running updates through DMNX / SLNX doesn’t always work as expected.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Great idea, but lousy execution.

Overall, I think the tool is a very bad idea.

Borked firmware updates are responsible for far too many bricked machines.
    Hmmmm.....As I think about it maybe this explains why the tool doesn't necessarily download the most current version, until it's had a fair amount of "real world" use.
    Just a thought....

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    is there any tutorial how to use it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maged_elagamy View Post
    where can i download RFUT ?
    Type in Google "Ricoh firmware update tool" and download It from the First Ricoh proposed link.

No Need instruction, Its to simple too use

Quote Originally Posted by Maged_elagamy View Post
    Absolutely!
    I've put together the following for you:
    Download
    Run

C'Mon Man!