Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh Smart Device Connector Features

Anyone have any idea why some machines don't have scanning functionality via the Connector App even though they are 'supported devices'?

For example, I currently have an MP C401 and 2 MP C306's that have the latest firmware, and when added to the connector App, scanning is not an available function.
    I was actually surprised to realize some time ago, that the MP C401 even supported this function, but have been able to do so with the last few units I've purchased, until this most recent one.

As for the MP C306's, I have not had scanning functionality with the App with any of the several units I have resold.

This is more of a curiosity on my part than anything.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Smart Device Connector Features

One thing that I can think of is that User authentication is set to require a user login by an entry in the address book that has permission to use the scan function.

Maybe you can scan to the document server and then access WIM through Connector App and grab the document from there. If I remember correctly you should not be logged in as an administrator unless it is a one page document as the administrator can only see the first of a document in the document server.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One thing that I can think of is that User authentication is set to require a user login by an entry in the address book that has permission to use the scan function.

Maybe you can scan to the document server and then access WIM through Connector App and grab the document from there. If I remember correctly you should not be logged in as an administrator unless it is a one page document as the administrator can only see the first of a document in the document server.
    Thanks Tim,
    I've picked up these units for resale, so address books are wiped, and I've done memory clear on everything except engine, and then re-input my preferred settings, and authentication is disabled.
    All of these are part of my usual process.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Anyone have any idea why some machines don't have scanning functionality via the Connector App even though they are 'supported devices'?

For example, I currently have an MP C401 and 2 MP C306's that have the latest firmware, and when added to the connector App, scanning is not an available function.
    I was actually surprised to realize some time ago, that the MP C401 even supported this function, but have been able to do so with the last few units I've purchased, until this most recent one.

As for the MP C306's, I have not had scanning functionality with the App with any of the several units I have resold.

This is more of a curiosity on my part than anything.
    ciao, don't worry, those apps are very "dancers" practically unreliable, it may be that in a future update everything works as if by magic. we, for example, (being a cost-per-copy rental machine) tend to scrape everything that can turn into a pain in the ass, therefore, we say "we can help you, but we do not provide assistance on smartphone applications" this clarified immediately

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    ciao, don't worry, those apps are very "dancers" practically unreliable, it may be that in a future update everything works as if by magic. we, for example, (being a cost-per-copy rental machine) tend to scrape everything that can turn into a pain in the ass, therefore, we say "we can help you, but we do not provide assistance on smartphone applications" this clarified immediately
    Thanks Luca,
    As I said it really just for my own interest, for example, when I have 2 identical MP C401's sitting next to one another and when connected through the App, one is capable of print, copy, fax, scan and the other is Print only - and the results are the same thru multiple phones.

It's certainly not a deal breaker for where they will eventually end up, and I don't guarantee anything about this type of service either.

I'm just wondering if there is any reason / solution for my own curiosity

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Thanks Luca,
    As I said it really just for my own interest, for example, when I have 2 identical MP C401's sitting next to one another and when connected through the App, one is capable of print, copy, fax, scan and the other is Print only - and the results are the same thru multiple phones.

It's certainly not a deal breaker for where they will eventually end up, and I don't guarantee anything about this type of service either.

I'm just wondering if there is any reason / solution for my own curiosity

so if I understand correctly, do you have other identical units, from other parts that work instead? ... at this point I think yes to a problem of smartphone, android version, or who knows what else? you could go beyond what your / our skills are!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We have had the = issue with a mpc4504 with Equitrac on it, there was no scanner function available (also no scan to doc server).
    After we had replaced the nvram we noticed the scanner icon in sp mode,
    but that was before we restored the sp setting data (via an sd card in sp function).
    Once this data was restored the scanner icon had disappeared again.
    So it might be an SP setting?