Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

printer installation with DHCP constant on

I was learned to always use fixed ip addresses (chosen by DHCP).
    Unless gate & dns addresses changes regular, I do not understand these advantage.
    Last month we had two IT'ers who where setting up the Ricoh printer with DHCP on.
    In that case, can we still use WIM (with the dhcp suggested ip address)?
    What do you think, is this a benefit for customer?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: printer installation with DHCP constant on

DHCP is only useful when the IP is reserved by the customer. Using a DHCP obtained address is risky as a device that already has that address assigned statically could be switched off, then conflicts arise when it is switched on again. On any network install you want either a static IP address or a reserved DHCP.

DHCP can also cause problems with strangely behaving network hardware. I had a huge customer who had a rogue switch they were unable to track down that issued incorrect domain information on DHCP stopping the machines scanning to email. Setting the machine to a static IP and inputting the correct domain sorted this.

Some customers will not allow you to use a static IP but that's just a bridge you have to cross when you come to it I'm afraid.

Unless the IT dept reserves the mac address for that device anytime the printer is turned off and on or a power failure the printer will could get a different ipaddress and the customer would not be able to print.

Static IPADDRESS is the norm

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Unless the IT dept reserves the mac address for that device anytime the printer is turned off and on or a power failure the printer will could get a different ipaddress and the customer would not be able to print.

Static IPADDRESS is the norm
    Added to that, if you need to replace a controller board, you have to inform IT of the new mac address to update the reservation, and, until they do that, no one can print
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

I've installed 100s of devices with DHCP...but then you print to host name and not IP address and you make sure you use the correct DNS.

Advantage of this is the user simply has to restart the device if they run into a printer offline issue due to duplicate IP and it will grab a new IP. Also makes upgrade installs quick and easy if you use custom host names ( ie RicohMFP1) because you simply clone the host name for new device.

Makes an install double easy if print driver has a custom name (ie Reception Printer) then you simply install new driver in existing driver on PC and no need to mess around with other software like pastel

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    I've installed 100s of devices with DHCP...but then you print to host name and not IP address and you make sure you use the correct DNS.

Advantage of this is the user simply has to restart the device if they run into a printer offline issue due to duplicate IP and it will grab a new IP. Also makes upgrade installs quick and easy if you use custom host names ( ie RicohMFP1) because you simply clone the host name for new device.

Makes an install double easy if print driver has a custom name (ie Reception Printer) then you simply install new driver in existing driver on PC and no need to mess around with other software like pastel

Dear 8T2, correct, the IT'er uses these hostnames: PRT323 , PRT 327 and PRT 328
    for 3x imc300.
    When dhcp choose a ip address for the printer that we make static, and afterwards a duplication of that ip address occurs, wouldn't that be the it'er is a little to careless?
    You wrote: "Also makes upgrade installs quick and easy if you use custom host names ( ie RicohMFP1) because you simply clone the host name for new device." So every printer has now the same name? I do not understand that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Dear 8T2, correct, the IT'er uses these hostnames: PRT323 , PRT 327 and PRT 328
    for 3x imc300.
    When dhcp choose a ip address for the printer that we make static, and afterwards a duplication of that ip address occurs, wouldn't that be the it'er is a little to careless?
    You wrote: "Also makes upgrade installs quick and easy if you use custom host names ( ie RicohMFP1) because you simply clone the host name for new device." So every printer has now the same name? I do not understand that well.
    I leave DHCP on so the device can grab a new available IP when restarted if neccesary.

If the port in the driver uses the printer host name it doesn't matter what IP it's on, that's why it's important to use the correct DNS configuration for name resolution.

Each device gets its own host name like RicohMFP1, RicohMFP2 or even just ReceptionPrinter, AccountsPrinter etc

It has also become second nature to delete my custom host name so it can revert to the default factory RNPxxxxxxxxx host name whenever I remove a device and double check it before I connect a device to a network to make sure there are no duplicate host name issues

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    I leave DHCP on so the device can grab a new available IP when restarted if neccesary.

If the port in the driver uses the printer host name it doesn't matter what IP it's on, that's why it's important to use the correct DNS configuration for name resolution.

Each device gets its own host name like RicohMFP1, RicohMFP2 or even just ReceptionPrinter, AccountsPrinter etc

It has also become second nature to delete my custom host name so it can revert to the default factory RNPxxxxxxxxx host name whenever I remove a device and double check it before I connect a device to a network to make sure there are no duplicate host name issues

Dear 8T2, but still, how can customer enter the WIM, if ip address is changing without knowing it well?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Dear 8T2, but still, how can customer enter the WIM, if ip address is changing without knowing it well?
    i use a free tool called "advanced ip scanner" avaliable on internet, that discover all local lan device, and relative ip and host name

Just ping the host name to get the current IP.

If I'm not mistaken the newer drivers also have a button that will open WIM can't remember where exactly the button is because I usually just ping it quick.

If network discovery is enabled on PC you can also find the device under network places and right click there for the option to open in browser or something