Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: Cyan Toner Not Detected By Ricoh 7100

Update:

I was able to locate the issue and fix it.

Issue: The toner bank has two positions locked and unlocked. When a new toner bottle is put in and door close the position changes to locked by a motor located in the back. When the motor pulls the locking mechanism back there is a small clip (silver clip in image) sitting on the gears of the mechanism that puts tension of the lips of the toner bank that holds the toner bottle cap. The clip retains a white part (white part in image) that holds a spring at the end which applies tension to the lips of the toner bank to ensure locked position is retain and cap pull when toner needs to be fed into the toner hopper. Well the white part and clip are literally being held together by a very small portion of plastic that can easily break. If the white piece comes detached from the silver clip you no longer will be able to feed toner into the hopper as there will be no longer tension to pull the toner bottle cap off a bit to fill in toner.

Solution:
    if you have a 3D printer and are able to take a 3D scan (there are a few apps you can buy) you can scan and 3D print the small piece. You can then super glue the new white piece onto the clip. The cyan color is now detected and the printer is back to normal.
    I tried to look up the clip and white part online and in the parts manual but was not able to find it. I will call my supplier on Monday and ask them if they sell it. If they do I will put the part number in a new post so you guys can find it.

Hope this helps if you are encounter with the same issue.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You did not even know the proper nomenclature for the machine, even thought it should be right on the front of the machine.
    Wow Slimslob how rude and condescending! I'm a brand new tech and have been browsing through the forums and there are a lot of end users asking for help with issues either because they have had inexperienced tech come to them or the ACTUAL techs couldn't figure out what was wrong obviously us techs don't always know the answer and that's why we come here to get help and ideas. I could instantly tell from the end users description that the printer he was referring to was obviously a Ricoh C7100SX a production printer. My dad had a print shop when I was younger and he may not have known what the "proper nomenclature" was for certain items but he knows what he is talking about after maintaining his own machines for DECADES and it was all due to having had bad experiences with "Professional" techs. Trust me that the old-school men of our profession would not look kindly on how you behave yourself. I see you are retired I hope you didn't treat your customers with that arrogance when you were in the business. You could have suggested that in your opinion its best to have a tech come out to take a look at it and left it at that without the know-it-all attitude. I hope more women get involved in this industry to phase out men like you that think only professional schooling makes you an expert. Have a wonderful night and I hope people treat you nicer than you treat others! Same goes to any arrogant tech that agrees with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Heber302 View Post
    Update:

I was able to locate the issue and fix it.

Issue: The toner bank has two positions locked and unlocked. When a new toner bottle is put in and door close the position changes to locked by a motor located in the back. When the motor pulls the locking mechanism back there is a small clip (silver clip in image) sitting on the gears of the mechanism that puts tension of the lips of the toner bank that holds the toner bottle cap. The clip retains a white part (white part in image) that holds a spring at the end which applies tension to the lips of the toner bank to ensure locked position is retain and cap pull when toner needs to be fed into the toner hopper. Well the white part and clip are literally being held together by a very small portion of plastic that can easily break. If the white piece comes detached from the silver clip you no longer will be able to feed toner into the hopper as there will be no longer tension to pull the toner bottle cap off a bit to fill in toner.

Solution:
    if you have a 3D printer and are able to take a 3D scan (there are a few apps you can buy) you can scan and 3D print the small piece. You can then super glue the new white piece onto the clip. The cyan color is now detected and the printer is back to normal.
    I tried to look up the clip and white part online and in the parts manual but was not able to find it. I will call my supplier on Monday and ask them if they sell it. If they do I will put the part number in a new post so you guys can find it.

Hope this helps if you are encounter with the same issue.

Thanks

Congrats sir ! Please don't get discouraged by condescending techs we are not all like that and I appreciate the idea of using a 3d printer I had never thought of that ! I will pass that info along to my father that also owns his own print shop and maintains his own machines. Have a great day and good luck to you!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Cyan Toner Not Detected By Ricoh 7100

You need item 158 and 159. Broken toner chuck is very common. Also, be sure to clean the photointerrupter item 48

Toner Chuck.pdf

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GermanGal1994 View Post
    Wow Slimslob how rude and condescending! I'm a brand new tech and have been browsing through the forums and there are a lot of end users asking for help with issues either because they have had inexperienced tech come to them or the ACTUAL techs couldn't figure out what was wrong obviously us techs don't always know the answer and that's why we come here to get help and ideas. I could instantly tell from the end users description that the printer he was referring to was obviously a Ricoh C7100SX a production printer. My dad had a print shop when I was younger and he may not have known what the "proper nomenclature" was for certain items but he knows what he is talking about after maintaining his own machines for DECADES and it was all due to having had bad experiences with "Professional" techs. Trust me that the old-school men of our profession would not look kindly on how you behave yourself. I see you are retired I hope you didn't treat your customers with that arrogance when you were in the business. You could have suggested that in your opinion its best to have a tech come out to take a look at it and left it at that without the know-it-all attitude. I hope more women get involved in this industry to phase out men like you that think only professional schooling makes you an expert. Have a wonderful night and I hope people treat you nicer than you treat others! Same goes to any arrogant tech that agrees with you!
    And when some end user takes a job away from you that causes you to be unable afford your rent you may start to understand why us god old boys do not think end users should be working on Production machines. As a printer he should concentrate on his customer's jobs and let a trained and qualified technician properly maintain his equipment. His attitude probably pissed off whatever dealer he tried to contact. Contrary to the false impression he got form where ever, we are here to assist other technicians, head in their ass end users.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    And when some end user takes a job away from you that causes you to be unable afford your rent you may start to understand why us god old boys do not think end users should be working on Production machines. As a printer he should concentrate on his customer's jobs and let a trained and qualified technician properly maintain his equipment. His attitude probably pissed off whatever dealer he tried to contact. Contrary to the false impression he got form where ever, we are here to assist other technicians, head in their ass end users.

No my job will not be taken away by end users trying their hand at some aspects of the machines because I give my customers training on how to maintain their machines and avoid simple problems I have thankfully had a full schedule since I started because I treat people with respect and this man also asked his question with respect and replied to you with respect all the way through the interaction. My customers call me when there are dire problems cause they know I won’t charge them 300 bucks to clear a simple code or release a jam. They know if I come by it’s because only I can fix it. That mentally that teaching or helping someone out will take food out of your mouth is so unamerican my dad immigrated here from Germany worked 15 years for Heidelberg and the reason he never used techs was because they were rude and disrespectful and treated him like a child due to the language barrier and I’m sure you would’ve been that type of tech back in the day on the other hand when my dad is asked how to fix a stahlfolder or cutter or stitcher my dad always jumps on board to help out whoever needs it. Trust me if this man really hit a wall he would try and find a tech to come out and we don’t know his monetary situation or his past experience with techs. Next time state your opinion respectfully and move on sir no need to take a dig at other people asking for help especially when their asking for help respectfully!!! Please learn to be a little more patriotic and American 🇺🇸

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GermanGal1994 View Post
    No my job will not be taken away by end users trying their hand at some aspects of the machines because I give my customers training on how to maintain their machines and avoid simple problems I have thankfully had a full schedule since I started because I treat people with respect and this man also asked his question with respect and replied to you with respect all the way through the interaction. My customers call me when there are dire problems cause they know I won’t charge them 300 bucks to clear a simple code or release a jam. They know if I come by it’s because only I can fix it. That mentally that teaching or helping someone out will take food out of your mouth is so unamerican my dad immigrated here from Germany worked 15 years for Heidelberg and the reason he never used techs was because they were rude and disrespectful and treated him like a child due to the language barrier and I’m sure you would’ve been that type of tech back in the day on the other hand when my dad is asked how to fix a stahlfolder or cutter or stitcher my dad always jumps on board to help out whoever needs it. Trust me if this man really hit a wall he would try and find a tech to come out and we don’t know his monetary situation or his past experience with techs. Next time state your opinion respectfully and move on sir no need to take a dig at other people asking for help especially when their asking for help respectfully!!! Please learn to be a little more patriotic and American 🇺🇸
    Just wait, it may be 20 years form now be you will find out exactly what I am talking about. There is a difference between key operator training, which actually be the job of the sales department but they always push it off on the service tech, and an untrained end user trying to repair something that if done wrong will crater the machine. If a service tech is doing proper preventive maintenance the up time for the equipment is greatly enhanced. More than likely that end user was offered a maintenance contract when the machines were first delivered, if not the dealer was an idiot, and he declined saying it was too expensive. Did you actually read what he said about the dealer(s) he contacted.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heber302 View Post
    I like to take my chances where I see great benefit

Famous last words but I do admire your can-do attitude.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

I thought I would add to this thread in case anybody visits it in future with this problem. I was sick of this part breaking in our machine resulting in downtime and lost revenue, so designed up a replacement to be made in Aluminium 7075, so should be much more durable. We had it made at PCBWay and a technician tested and confirmed it fits fine in the Ricoh C7100X. I've shared it on PCBWay Community Projects if you wish to order your own replacements.
    Ricoh C7100X Toner Bottle Chuck - Share Project - PCBWay

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaredJames View Post
    I thought I would add to this thread in case anybody visits it in future with this problem. I was sick of this part breaking in our machine resulting in downtime and lost revenue, so designed up a replacement to be made in Aluminium 7075, so should be much more durable. We had it made at PCBWay and a technician tested and confirmed it fits fine in the Ricoh C7100X. I've shared it on PCBWay Community Projects if you wish to order your own replacements.
    Ricoh C7100X Toner Bottle Chuck - Share Project - PCBWay
    Wow, great idea. The original plastic piece is time consuming to replace and I've done a lot of them.

The key to keeping them from getting broken is customer training. Do not turn the toner bottle by hand when replacing toner.