Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: Deployed V4 driver Locked printissue

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    V4 drivers are still considered fairly niche and only supported in Windows. Traditional version 3 drivers aren't going anywhere anytime soon. With lots of mixed OS environments I've stayed away from v4 drivers, as v3 queues create the proper hooks to support CUPS based hosts to connect to the queue.

Unless there's a real need to use a v4 driver (and there really isn't), I'd always steer all customers to using the traditional driver model.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

To mitigate the Print Nightmare vulnerability you need admin rights on workstations to install print drivers, per

KB5005010: Restricting installation of new printer drivers after applying the July 6, 2021 updates

In deployed environments this creates more work for IT departments. Shockingly, they want to use the V4 and the point and print deployments.

I will tell my customer that Canon has there act together and he should look at getting some Canons.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Deployed V4 driver Locked printissue

Quote Originally Posted by tinalt View Post
    To mitigate the Print Nightmare vulnerability you need admin rights on workstations to install print drivers, per

KB5005010: Restricting installation of new printer drivers after applying the July 6, 2021 updates

In deployed environments this creates more work for IT departments. Shockingly, they want to use the V4 and the point and print deployments.

I will tell my customer that Canon has there act together and he should look at getting some Canons.
    In other words, you don't even want to try. You think that you can make more money by selling your customers new equipment they don't really need. It is going to bite you in the ass eventually and your customers are going to go to someone like rthonpm who knows what to do.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    In other words, you don't even want to try. You think that you can make more money by selling your customers new equipment they don't really need. It is going to bite you in the ass eventually and your customers are going to go to someone like rthonpm who knows what to do.
    I feel like you are seeing some option that was presented that I am not. I can,
    1. Deploy drivers to the workstations using admin credentials(which the customer does not want)
    2. Do nothing and leave it broken
    3. Move them to a manufacture that has figured out how to use V4 drivers

What are you seeing as an option that I am not?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

1. Deploy drivers to the workstations using admin credentials(which the customer does not want)

You can do what rthonpm suggested and have them install the V3 driver that actually has fewer problems than the V4 version regardless of the printer manufacturer.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You can do what rthonpm suggested and have them install the V3 driver that actually has fewer problems than the V4 version regardless of the printer manufacturer.
    As per my last post that requires admin rights to install on the clients, hence a non option per the customer

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

If the customer's IT also can't figure out how to script a deployment of the V4 driver to the machines they manage, then they need to seriously consider finding a new line of work.

As for the admin rights needed for adding a printer, that's only needed the first time a user connects to the spooler of the print server. That can also easily be done by IT, either by 'seeding' machines by connecting to the server from their admin account or actually configuring the GPO's required to trust the print server in their facilities.

This isn't a machine issue, it's a lazy sys admin issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

As per my last post that requires admin rights to install on the clients, hence a non option per the customer
    Sounds like they don’t have much of an IT department.

There are a number of ways to get the drivers installed.

This is a Micro$oft problem, not a print vendor issue.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

So does installing a new printer if you sell them a Canon. Now stop lying.