Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Scanning with MP C306

Re: Scanning with MP C306

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    That one is new to me, gotta check it out if it's idiot-proof enough for recommending to end unsers lol
    i have used it. i wouldn't consider it user friendly for customers... if you have setup scanning before it is fairly straight forward. just to much going on, in my book, for a customer to setup. IT dept yes, customers no.
    and that's on windows. any other OS, i have no idea how well it works.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scanning with MP C306

Quote Originally Posted by lurker1652 View Post
    Checking with the admin, it's a software appliance: unRAID 6.10.

I'm not aware of any standard "Scanner support feature" I could ask for. The thing is the MFP doesn't event initiate connection that they can debug.
    According to documentation available online simply by searching unRAID 6.10, for all new installations SMBv1 is disabled by default. In addition release rc2, September 2021, Samba version 4.15 SMB3 multi-channel is no longer marked "experimental", however is disabled by default. This may be enabled on the Settings/SMB Settings page. Some users have reported issues with SMB3 multi-channel in conjunction with certain network bond configurations. Has anyone gone into the SMB settings to see if SMB2 or SMB3 is enabled? That is assuming that the firmware for supporting SMBv2/3 is available for the C306, has been installed and is properly configured? If SMBv2/3 is not available on your C306 you will have to enable SMBv1.

Now go do some homework.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    According to documentation available online simply by searching unRAID 6.10, for all new installations SMBv1 is disabled by default. In addition release rc2, September 2021, Samba version 4.15 SMB3 multi-channel is no longer marked "experimental", however is disabled by default. This may be enabled on the Settings/SMB Settings page. Some users have reported issues with SMB3 multi-channel in conjunction with certain network bond configurations. Has anyone gone into the SMB settings to see if SMB2 or SMB3 is enabled? That is assuming that the firmware for supporting SMBv2/3 is available for the C306, has been installed and is properly configured? If SMBv2/3 is not available on your C306 you will have to enable SMBv1.

Now go do some homework.
    Hmm, I wonder what have you seen related to multi-channel & this behaviour. MC is not in use, since there's no multihomming here or the need to surpass 1Gbps.

Per Scanning with MP C306, it seems the firmware is new enough and properly configured. The culprit as stated, is that the client (MFP) is not able to initiate communication, there's no authentication attempt that can be directed to the authentication protocol differences.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scanning with MP C306

Hmm, I wonder what have you seen related to multi-channel & this behaviour. MC is not in use, since there's no multihomming here or the need to surpass 1Gbps.

Per Scanning with MP C306, it seems the firmware is new enough and properly configured. The culprit as stated, is that the client (MFP) is not able to initiate communication, there's no authentication attempt that can be directed to the authentication protocol differences.
    Sounds like SMBv1/2/3 are all disabled on the NAS. At least one of them has to be enabled in order for scan to folder(SMB) to initiate communication.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds like SMBv1/2/3 are all disabled on the NAS. At least one of them has to be enabled in order for scan to folder(SMB) to initiate communication.
    Share is accesible from Windows clients, some SMB version must be enabled

Will try with firmware upgrade on the MP side.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scanning with MP C306

Share is accesible from Windows clients, some SMB version must be enabled

Will try with firmware upgrade on the MP side.
    SMB is not necessary for Windows to access a shared resource. SMB is Microsoft's implication of Samba added to allow access and share with to UNIX based system shares.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Looking at your logs, the MFP is trying to connect on port 139, which is the old SMBv1 port of SMB over WINS. You may need to get the copier set to either use SMB 2 or higher which will also change the SMB port to 445 (SMB over DNS). My guess would be that SMB1 is disabled on the NAS, so when the MFP tries to negotiate a connection, there's nothing open for it to connect to.

DON'T go the route of trying to enable NetBIOS or anything like that: WINS is a dead protocol and many networks are disabling NetBIOS entirely. Don't go the route of enabling SMB1 on the NAS: that's even worse. Let these old protocols die in peace.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Looking at your logs, the MFP is trying to connect on port 139, which is the old SMBv1 port of SMB over WINS. You may need to get the copier set to either use SMB 2 or higher which will also change the SMB port to 445 (SMB over DNS). My guess would be that SMB1 is disabled on the NAS, so when the MFP tries to negotiate a connection, there's nothing open for it to connect to.

DON'T go the route of trying to enable NetBIOS or anything like that: WINS is a dead protocol and many networks are disabling NetBIOS entirely. Don't go the route of enabling SMB1 on the NAS: that's even worse. Let these old protocols die in peace.
    Could it be a failover?, like a second attempt?

#[smb client(3542)]22/06/05 22:06:08 SMBC: Failed to connect. timeout. (03201) ERR:
    #[smb client(3542)]22/06/05 22:06:08 SMBC: Failed to connect 2nd port, 139. ERR:
    From the config, it could be the case:

RICOH MP C306Z
    Network Control Service Ver. 15.34.1
    Copyright (C) 1994-2020 Ricoh Co.,Ltd. All rights reserved.

msh> smb
    Workgroup Name : LAN
    Computer Name : PRINTER01
    Comment :
    Notification : Off
    Protocol : IPv4
    Client Port : 445
    Client Auth Level : 2 (NTLMv2->NTLM/LM)
    Client WSD Browse : Off
    Client Write Mode : Async
    Client Timeout : 20
    Client v3 : on
    Some of the forum posts state using "1", others "2". Will try with "1" this afternoon.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scanning with MP C306

Could it be a failover?, like a second attempt?

From the config, it could be the case:
    RICOH MP C306Z
    Network Control Service Ver. 15.34.1
    Copyright (C) 1994-2020 Ricoh Co.,Ltd. All rights reserved.

msh> smb
    Workgroup Name : LAN
    Computer Name : PRINTER01
    Comment :
    Notification : Off
    Protocol : IPv4
    Client Port : 445
    Client Auth Level : 2 (NTLMv2->NTLM/LM)
    Client WSD Browse : Off
    Client Write Mode : Async
    Client Timeout : 20
    Client v3 : on

Some of the forum posts state using "1", others "2". Will try with "1" this afternoon.
    I might be wrong but I believe that Client v3 : on refers to SMBv3. If that is the case then SMBv3 is enabled on the C306. If so then it is either disabled on the NAS or blocked by the network.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Is this a Workgroup environment, or Active Directory?

If Workgroup: is the Workgroup name identical between the copier and the NAS? Does the local account exist on both systems with the proper permissions?

If AD environment, is the NAS a member computer? Does the username for authentication have the domain as part of the user name: domain\user?

In either case, does the user have Modify permissions if you navigate to the share from a Windows machine and look at the Properties?

This sounds like more of an UnRAID issue than and MFP issue. The NAS is the more likely target for where the issue lies. Samba can be incredibly easy to configure, or an absolute nightmare.