Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Unhappy mp6001 and mp6002 need postscript to print on linux?

Hi guys. mp6001 and mp6002 need postscript to print on linux? I'm lost Thank you

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: mp6001 and mp6002 need postscript to print on linux?

Quote Originally Posted by medallo View Post
    Hi guys. mp6001 and mp6002 need postscript to print on linux? I'm lost Thank you
    The short answer is "yes".

The long answer is "it depends". Some versions of Linux (with the right configutaion) can print PCL, but it's not easy to set up.

Just use PostScript and you life will be much easier.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Part numbers:

MP6001 - D4625020
    MP6002 - D6205020

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Part numbers:

MP6001 - D4625020
    MP6002 - D6205020
    Always try to buy these new, or at least with a guarantee.

If improperly removed from a machine, they are useless. When installed, the machine's ID gets written to the card, and is not removeable. A proper uninstall erases that data so that the card can be reused.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The native printing system in Linux is CUPS, just like on Macs. Most distributions will have a pre-loaded series of drivers for most models. Checking my Ubuntu VM, the PostScript drivers for both the 6001 and 6002 are there. For any distro that doesn't have the driver, you can always get it from the Open Printing site: Printers by Manufacturer | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

You can also integrate Linux systems into a Windows print server by using the name of the print server as the address for the printer and the share name as the queue. You'll need to then add the right Linux driver on the local machine. This won't work with any Windows queues using Type 4 drivers though.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Linux systems have come a long way since the days of postscript only. Most linux distros will use pxl and have the drivers built into the system. For example I am running Lubuntu on an older computer and the drivers for pxl for these 2 machines are built into it. I am also using Peppermint Linux (debian) it is also built into it. I can't speak for Red Hat distros or distros other than debian. If your customer is using a debian distro, it should be easy to add these printers. You might not get full functionality, like watermarks, margin shifts, etc but you should get tray select, duplex, and maybe some finishing options. I would suggest trying it first before ordering postscript.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

You can also go to openprinting.org. Select the ppd download. Select Ricoh, PXL, mp6001 or mp6002. You can download and install ppd for linux. This should work if printer has no postscript.

Remember that the only supported method in Linux is to use PostScript.

If features are missing, fonts and/or colors are goofy, printing is slow, etc...you're on your own. Been there, got the T-shirt.

May be great to try in you own envionment, but not a customer's.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Remember that the only supported method in Linux is to use PostScript.

If features are missing, fonts and/or colors are goofy, printing is slow, etc...you're on your own. Been there, got the T-shirt.

May be great to try in you own envionment, but not a customer's.
    True, your mileage may vary. On a side note, I think it was the 03's in windows drivers The magenta color would not reproduce correctly when even hard coded in gimp or photoshop. When I contacted mother Ricoh about it. They said for exact color you need postscript not the pcl. We passed that info onto the customer who switched to another vendor before the lease was even up they didn't want to pay $$$ for the upgrade. It's too bad that the entire industry doesn't switch to a standard. Wouldn't that make life easier?

Explain to the customer your mileage may vary, but let's try it first. Afterall, the more clicks the more income generated. If they aren't satisfied, sell them a postscript chip. Those are older machines so they probably won't. Just explain what you are trying clearly.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I've had mixed success with the PXL drivers. I often see as many PCL error reports as completed prints. Some of it seems to depend on just what they're printing. Real documents and PDF seem to work well, websites and automatically generated reports seem to flake out.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk