Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Scan to email question

Quick question, are the Ricoh MFP's able to send out scan's FROM multiple email addresses, or only one?

My understanding is you have the host email address, which you use for all smtp settings and such, and that is the email address that shows up when the email arrives to the destination.

I know you can register multiple senders, but from my experience it still shows up with the host email address attached with the senders name.

So are you limited to one, or can you do two.

I told my customer just to scan to folder and attach it from there and send out with whatever email they would like, but he wanted me to find out if it was possible directly from the copier.

Thanks, hope i explained that correctly.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email question

Re: Scan to email question

Yes. Every entry in the address book can be designated as a sender in addition to be a recipient. That setting can be utilized in 2 ways.
    1. You can require users to login when using the scan function and the address saved for that user will be used.
    2. You can press the "Select Sender" button on the scan to email function screen.

One thing to consider is that many email providers will reject emails where the sender domain and authentication domain are not the same.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Yes. Every entry in the address book can be designated as a sender in addition to be a recipient. That setting can be utilized in 2 ways.
    1. You can require users to login when using the scan function and the address saved for that user will be used.
    2. You can press the "Select Sender" button on the scan to email function screen.

One thing to consider is that many email providers will reject emails where the sender domain and authentication domain are not the same.
    Then maybe I am missing something because I knew you could designate all user in the address book as a sender, but it still shows the host email next to the sender name.

Lets say I have user 1: test@test.com as an example. And my email address I used to setup scan-to-email is abs@abs.com, then when I send a scan to anyone, and say I choose the sender to be user 1, then it always comes through like this.

Email from : test@test.com <abs@abs.com>

It always shows the email I used to setup scan to email on the right next to the sender name.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email question

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Then maybe I am missing something because I knew you could designate all user in the address book as a sender, but it still shows the host email next to the sender name.

Lets say I have user 1: test@test.com as an example. And my email address I used to setup scan-to-email is abs@abs.com, then when I send a scan to anyone, and say I choose the sender to be user 1, then it always comes through like this.

Email from : test@test.com <abs@abs.com>

It always shows the email I used to setup scan to email on the right next to the sender name.
    Most likely because the domains are not the same. test.com and abs.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Most likely because the domains are not the same. test.com and abs.com
    Then I guess that is the question I should be asking...is it possible to send out from two different domains?

Because, with my test, even when I select a sender with the same @abs.com as the host email, it still shows the original host email to the right of the sender email address.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Then I guess that is the question I should be asking...is it possible to send out from two different domains?

Because, with my test, even when I select a sender with the same @abs.com as the host email, it still shows the original host email to the right of the sender email address.
    Can't recall ever running into this, usually works just like slim described.

Maybe try switching off auto sender address for a quick test? But I'm pretty confident that it's a setting on the server side forcing the authentication adress to display if it is the way you describe

Sending from different domains is also possible if the outgoing SMTP allows it but it usually doesn't anymore these days due to strict security. A couple of years ago loads of my devices were set up using a open public mail server on port 25 with no authentication because it was easier and quicker than getting in touch with their ISP

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email question

There is a possibility that it is a function of the email provider. The fact that it does not reject mismatched domains points to this.

When email destination providers started rejecting domain mismatch emails, Ricoh put out a bulletin about an SP setting that forced the authentication address to only be used for authentication and only the sender to be embedded in the header of the email.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email question

One additional thing, the address between the <> is there to allow for easier identification of SPAM. One I get on a daily basis is LOWE'S_Shoppers - <elsygrumbling2383@hotmail.com>

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ok interesting...

Thank you guys, I will do some more testing and playing around, hopefully I can figure it out.

Cheers

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

It sounds like your email provider has enabled DKIM (Domain Keys Identified Mail), which is a function to help prevent spoofing of mail domains. Since you're trying to send mail from domain A but authenticating with credentials from domain B, the mail server sees that you're trying to spoof an email address and therefore shows the true address that the message is being sent from. I have something similar that happens with my cloud hosted billing system. The emails are configured to show as coming from our regular accounting group email, but the customer sees our email as the sender name, but also the true email address.

DKIM is going to be all but standard before long for all mail providers because it easily removes the ability to spoof another email address. Many mail providers will also just add any messages that fail a DKIM test straight to spam. It's the lowest hanging fruit of the spam and malware trees, but as most attacks are quite simple it can be amazingly effective.

What's the relationship between the two domains? I know we have a few customers that have multiple domain names, but they are all tied to hosted Exchange through Microsoft 365 and are considered a single unit so that all of the addresses are considered part of the same organisation, even though there is no visible relationship between them. With that, you could have your authentication account(s) with permissions to send from the other domain's email addresses.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk