Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts digicor's Avatar

scanner image whacked

20220418160907767_0001.jpg20220418161003450_0001 (1).jpgsee pics, is this something that can be re calibrated? ive taken the glass of and observed the lens/mirrors/ theres no obstruction
    20220418160300001_0001.jpg

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    scanner image whacked

Re: scanner image whacked

Which way was main-scan & sub-scan on that image?

It looks like the optics are unfocused, possibly at the CCD. If the blurry area is at the trail edge of the scan (original image LTR-R orientation on the glass), the adjustment is in the sub-scan direction (adjusting the CCD height up/down at the left/right). If the blurry area is at the front or rear edge of the scanner (original image LTR on the glass), the adjustment is in the main-scan direction (adjusting the CCD height up/down at the front/rear of the machine.

Those are those red painted screws, but don't panic. Just keep track of the # of turns you make at each adjuster, in case you need to reverse what you did. It's a trial & error adjustment. Whenever I do it, I inevitably make it worse before I make it better.

Start with 1/4 turn of the adjuster at a time, until you see if you've improved the focus or made it worse. When it gets close, reduce the adjustment to 1/8th turns, then 1/16th turns ... until it's perfect. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Which way was main-scan & sub-scan on that image?

It looks like the optics are unfocused, possibly at the CCD. If the blurry area is at the trail edge of the scan (original image LTR-R orientation on the glass), the adjustment is in the sub-scan direction (adjusting the CCD height up/down at the left/right). If the blurry area is at the front or rear edge of the scanner (original image LTR on the glass), the adjustment is in the main-scan direction (adjusting the CCD height up/down at the front/rear of the machine.

Those are those red painted screws, but don't panic. Just keep track of the # of turns you make at each adjuster, in case you need to reverse what you did. It's a trial & error adjustment. Whenever I do it, I inevitably make it worse before I make it better.

Start with 1/4 turn of the adjuster at a time, until you see if you've improved the focus or made it worse. When it gets close, reduce the adjustment to 1/8th turns, then 1/16th turns ... until it's perfect. =^..^=
    this is a c5503 what red screws?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    scanner image whacked

Tried lifting up on the front left corner of the scanner?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    Tried lifting up on the front left corner of the scanner?
    +1

the image is trapezoidal, so the scanner is out of alignment, someone has leant on it
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Agree with Deb. In olden days, you could pull off left scanner covers and push scanner to far left of machine and check for alignment. Not sure if still the case. The other thing to check is the leaf springs holding the mirrors in. Those could have been knocked out of place during cleaning. Back in olden days Ricoh used a glue that started to give away on ccd that would give a result like this.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Agree with Deb.  In olden days, you could pull off left scanner covers and push scanner to far left of machine and check for alignment.  Not sure if still the case.  The other thing to check is the leaf springs holding the mirrors in.  Those could have been knocked out of place during cleaning.  Back in olden days Ricoh used a glue that started to give away on ccd that would give a result like this.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    scanner image whacked

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Agree with Deb. In olden days, you could pull off left scanner covers and push scanner to far left of machine and check for alignment. Not sure if still the case. The other thing to check is the leaf springs holding the mirrors in. Those could have been knocked out of place during cleaning. Back in olden days Ricoh used a glue that started to give away on ccd that would give a result like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Agree with Deb.  In olden days, you could pull off left scanner covers and push scanner to far left of machine and check for alignment.  Not sure if still the case.  The other thing to check is the leaf springs holding the mirrors in.  Those could have been knocked out of place during cleaning.  Back in olden days Ricoh used a glue that started to give away on ccd that would give a result like this.
    I have also seen lazy customer employees lean on the front of the machine while they are using it.

its not just the doc feed scanner,its on the glass as well, but i have pushed the scanner to re align it before but it was for registration issues not this... and where are the lred scews ? i can find any red adjustment screws in or around the lens, or the whole unit, in the back, or at the lens? please advise

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    scanner image whacked

Quote Originally Posted by digicor View Post
    its not just the doc feed scanner,its on the glass as well, but i have pushed the scanner to re align it before but it was for registration issues not this... and where are the lred scews ? i can find any red adjustment screws in or around the lens, or the whole unit, in the back, or at the lens? please advise
    When someone leans on the left front corner of the MFP it distorts the entire scanner frame,