Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Dealing with custmers unwilling to follow instruction

Hi, All. I have an account that runs printed originals from a HP printer, and these pages have a tendency to stick together. Riffling the stack before feeding these stacks works pretty well to alleviate the issues, but no one using this particular machine is willing to do this. I just get constant service calls for a machine malfunction when it is not, and I about ready to quit my job because of it. I run a SMC report (26 pages) printed from the machine for testing, and it works great. How do you guys handle shit situations like this?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts emiliorsg's Avatar

Re: Dealing with custmers unwilling to follow instruction

Normally inform the client that he spends a piece of shit paper that just gives him problems . Lately with the prices that paper has, it is more common to find problems like this and very wet paper. I imagine that you have changed the paper feed rollers at some time.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All. I have an account that runs printed originals from a HP printer, and these pages have a tendency to stick together. Riffling the stack before feeding these stacks works pretty well to alleviate the issues, but no one using this particular machine is willing to do this. I just get constant service calls for a machine malfunction when it is not, and I about ready to quit my job because of it. I run a SMC report (26 pages) printed from the machine for testing, and it works great. How do you guys handle shit situations like this?
    Unless you're working for yourself, I'd go to my service manager and see how it wants to deal with this.

If this is your customer, what I would do is put in a fresh ream of paper and prove that there's nothing wrong with the machine. Then I would put in the preprinted originals from the HP printer and prove therein lies the problem.

The next thing I would do and this is KEY. Tell them that you can't guarantee that this paper is gonna run without issues and they're gonna have to follow directions in order to get the best performance...but that you can't guarantee it will work without jamming.

The other thing you can do is try different paper. Heavier, lighter...see if anything works better than what they're using. Also make sure that you're using the correct paper settings.
    Embrace the process, not the outcome.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts emiliorsg's Avatar

It would also be interesting to know if the HP toner is original because if it is compatible it can cause problems of coming out "softer" and sticking to the sheets.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Indeed some customers don't want to collaborate at all. In this situation I suspect changing paper brand they use in HP with good quality paper will greatly reduce hopefully even stop paper sticking. Then you can demonstrate them cheap paper they use is the reason and tell them where to go next time they call. It's not pleasant but sometimes I like to put f .morons where they belong.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by emiliorsg View Post
    It would also be interesting to know if the HP toner is original because if it is compatible it can cause problems of coming out "softer" and sticking to the sheets.
    O, I forgot about toner good idea. Compatible has different melting temperature and can be sticky sometimes.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

For accounts like that, I'll generally start off easy and put a label on the document feeder with a step to prevent issues.

I've also had to put labels in paper trays on MFP's where users stack LTR paper on both sides of a DLT sized tray, causing paper jams.

If the label doesn't work, then I'll try to find a user or two with a functioning brain stem and let them know what to do.

Step three, let management know and that after the next instance, it will fall under time and materials fees.

Step four is billing after management doesn't work

Step five not renewing the account if it becomes more of a hassle than it's worth.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Does the Ricoh(?) that are feeding these HP printouts have print capabilities? If so, it would most likely be less expensive to print directly to the Ricoh. Run the numbers and if I am right, give them to the owner of the business. Most owners do not like paying ant more than they absolutely have to.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

Step four is billing after management doesn't work
    Would be my first weapon of choice.
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Does the Ricoh(?) that are feeding these HP printouts have print capabilities? If so, it would most likely be less expensive to print directly to the Ricoh. Run the numbers and if I am right, give them to the owner of the business. Most owners do not like paying ant more than they absolutely have to.
    This is an ultimate idea! I can't imagine HP better in any way than Ricoh machine same class.