Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ricoh Aficio mp c3300

Hi
    I have a new to me Mp3300, Firmware has been updated to latest.

I am unable getting scan to email to work. I have found conflicting information online as to if this model can do ssl\tls.
    If it does is there a procedure to get this working on smtp2go, or do I need to run a local smtp gateway on my home network.

My machine has ssl menu options and the option to create cert's which I have had a play around with unsuccessfully. I have tried both gmail and smtp2go with multiple suggested ports.
    I've had no luck with smtp2go on 465 or 2525.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that 465 may do ssl , But I'am unable to verify what the machine will do

Does the machine require a hard reboot after each setting change.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremynzl; 05-03-2022 at 06:55 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio mp c3300

Re: Ricoh Aficio mp c3300

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremynzl View Post
    Hi
    I have a new to me Mp3300, Firmware has been updated to latest.

I am unable getting scan to email to work. I have found conflicting information online as to if this model can do ssl\tls.
    If it does is there a procedure to get this working on smtp2go, or do I need to run a local smtp gateway on my home network.

My machine has ssl menu options and the option to create cert's which I have had a play around with unsuccessfully. I have tried both gmail and smtp2go with multiple suggested ports.
    Does the machine require a hard reboot after each setting change.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks Jeremy
    The only type of certificate that you can actually create is a self signed device certificate. SMTP over SSL/TLS now requires requires a site certificate issued by a recognized CA, Certificate Authority. Due to the age of the C3300 it may not be able to use a site certificate for email. The documentation I have from Ricoh dated 02/09/2011 only covers the following models. Later model came with site certificate already installed.
    Aficio MP C6501SP, C7501SP
    Aficio MP C4501/A/G/AG, C5501/A/G/AG
    Aficio MP C3001/G, C3501/G
    Aficio MP C300/SR, C400/SR
    Aficio MP C2051, C2551
    Aficio MP C2050, C2550

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The only type of certificate that you can actually create is a self signed device certificate. SMTP over SSL/TLS now requires requires a site certificate issued by a recognized CA, Certificate Authority. Due to the age of the C3300 it may not be able to use a site certificate for email. The documentation I have from Ricoh dated 02/09/2011 only covers the following models. Later model came with site certificate already installed.
    Aficio MP C6501SP, C7501SP
    Aficio MP C4501/A/G/AG, C5501/A/G/AG
    Aficio MP C3001/G, C3501/G
    Aficio MP C300/SR, C400/SR
    Aficio MP C2051, C2551
    Aficio MP C2050, C2550

Thankyou for your reply.
    It does help narrowing it down. Worst case I have to build a stunnel relay. Best case I may need to look at purchasing a cert.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio mp c3300

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremynzl View Post
    Thankyou for your reply.
    It does help narrowing it down. Worst case I have to build a stunnel relay. Best case I may need to look at purchasing a cert.
    That is not necessary. If a site certificate will work, you can export one from your browser. It is just a matter of which one of the multitude that are on your browser. For the current Firefox version they can be found by clicking on Tools, Settings, Privacy and Security then scroll down to Security, Certificates and click on View Certificates. For the current version of Firefox, one of the GoDaddy.com, Inc. or Google Trust Services LLC might work, possible a Software Security Device. Click on the certificate and you can then Export it to a folder. You can then try importing it to the C3300 using WIM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio mp c3300

I've never had any success with machines of that generation using email settings that require SSL/TLS.
    However, smtp2go will work on ANY Ricoh machine ever built (and likely any other manufacturer) that has a scan to email option. I use it ALL the time, so you're doing something wrong.
    I have the best luck with port 587.

Thankyou Sandman and Slim.

Ive had another crack with Smtp2go, Cant get it working. Also installed a cert following a Ricoh pdf that was on this site. Still no joy.

Maybe I should factory reset my machine. and try smtp2go from a clean setup.

Are either of you able to assist me with factory reset procedure. I have tried the only one I found online which was the 2 numeric keys , which just did a reboot and verification with all user settings still there.

Cheers Jeremy

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio mp c3300

There is always scan to folder, USB or Document Server. I can't remember if that model required the File Format Converter for Document Server files to be download to your PC through WIM.

For scan to USB or SD Card check the installation procedures for installing USB2.0/SD Slot Type A in the service manual. If your make the SP settings required for the USB2.0/SD Slot Type A, you can then plug USB drive directly into the connector at the back that the adapter would plug into. You can also use a USB extension cable to move the connection to the front of the C3300. Add an SD card to USB adapter and you might be able to use an SD card though I have never tried an SD card. I have use USB drives as described but there may be a size limit. Worked both for scanning to and print from USB drives.

Once you have the file on a drive of some type you can then use your PC to attach it to an email. Plus you can type more into the body of the email. And if you use an email such as Gmail, the 25MB attachment file size limit is eliminated.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Unless I'm mistaken, the C3300 doesn't support newer versions of TLS, which may be part of the issue.

STunnel is a good workaround. I have it running on a VM for scan to email and embedded email notifications that get relayed to my M365 tenant.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

After trying all solutions. I ran up a stunnel VM. worked first pop using gmail smtp as configured below through google apps
    Am still perplexed why smtp2go wont work as I use it on a kyocera we have here so am familiar with its setup.

Credit to STunnel - Ubuntu 16.04 - GMail SMTP - CocoonTech.com

I used Ubuntu 22.04 live server , static ip in same subnet as printer.
    Step 2 was missing in in the stunnel4 config so I ignored it, and still worked.

Printer settings are static ip of stunnel server for smtp sever and port 5000 , this passes a connection test on the smtp server screen on the Ricoh
    authentication user and pass are my google apps userass for that acc. Set in the printer
    I have less secure apps enabled on that acc as its only a relay for the printer

I installed it on Ubuntu 16.04 / 64 bit.

1 - sudo apt-get install stunnel4

2 - nano /etc/default/stunnel4

Change: ENABLED=0 to ENABLED=1

3 - Configuration

create a new stunned configuration file.

nano /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf

copy and paste the following to the new file.; ************************************************** ************************
    ; * Global options *
    ; ************************************************** ************************

; Debugging stuff (may be useful for troubleshooting)
    ; log = overwrite
    ; foreground = yes
    debug = 7
    output = /var/log/stunnel4/stunnel.log

; Certificate/key is needed in server mode and optional in client mode
    cert = /etc/stunnel/mail.pem
    ; key = /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

; Enable FIPS 140-2 mode if needed for compliance
    fips = no
    libwrap=no

; * Service defaults may also be specified in individual service sections *

; Enable support for the insecure SSLv3 protocol
    options = -NO_SSLv3

; These options provide additional security at some performance degradation
    options = SINGLE_ECDH_USE
    options = SINGLE_DH_USE

; * Service definitions (remove all services for inetd mode) *

[gmail-smtp]
    client = yes
    accept = 5000
    connect = smtp.gmail.com:465
    verify = 2
    CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
    checkHost = smtp.gmail.com
    OCSPaia = yes

4 - Generate a certificate

a - cd /etc/stunnel
    b - sudo openssl req -new -out mail.pem -keyout mail.pem -nodes -x509 -days 365 *
    * = press enter for all of the questions. Certificate is good for 365 days

5 - Start stop or restart STunnel

sudo /etc/init.d/stunnel4 stop
    sudo /etc/init.d/stunnel4 start
    sudo /etc/init.d/stunnel4 restart

6 - Test it by looking at the stunnel log live

tail -f /var/log/stunnel4/stunnel.log

7 - Once tested and working change the stunnel.conf file logging options as so

; Debugging stuff (may be useful for troubleshooting)
    ; log = overwrite
    ; foreground = yes
    debug = 5
    output = /var/log/stunnel4/stunnel.log

debug = LEVEL
    debugging level
    Level is a one of the syslog level names or numbers emerg (0), alert (1), crit (2), err (3), warning (4), notice (5), info (6), or debug (7). All logs for the specified level and all levels numerically less than it will be shown. Use debug = debug or debug = 7 for greatest debugging output. The default is notice (5).

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Seeing /etc/init.d makes me feel like I've used a time machine to the past. I've been spoiled by systemd.

For a lot of customers, STunnel can be a good option for an internal SMTP relay server. It's lightweight, runs on Linux and Windows, and is easy to configure. I only set it to send as oppose to receive as nothing I use with it needs to receive mail.

From my perspective it's also a little more reliable than a service like smtp2go for business customers as it allows them to keep all of their outgoing mail tied to their own mail providers so any additional protection they configured also apply to mail sent through it.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk