Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ricoh MP 3054 Jam Code Won't Clear

Hey all...didn't want to bring a thread back from the grave but I'm having some similar issues that have been discussed but haven't found a solution yet.

I have a Ricoh MP C3054 that has less than 30k on it and has a J001 jam code and shows it in section C right at the fuser upon boot up. The jam history in SP mode isn't helping at all, not showing a jam, only showing it jams at power on. I thought it was a fusing exit sensor issue, because in 5-803 input check, that sensor wouldn't change, so I replaced it only to find out that for some reason, the fusing exit and fusing entrance sensor are switched in comparison the the MP C3004 (I know different generations). So then I replaced the whole transfer roller section (section B) and boom, it fired up with no jam!! I thought I was done and then I ran a copy and after the first one it jammed in section B. I figured it was a fluke, so tried again, then it jammed same place. I cleared the jam once more, and now the same exact jam shows as when I started, J001 in the fuser section C.

In some threads I saw maybe some cover switches? I checked both the main and side door switches and all seem fine. The way the jams happened and displayed on the screen to me seemed like maybe a firmware issue, but I have since then updated it to no avail. I'm a bit stumped on this one...I should also note I have swapped the whole side door as well as fuser.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 3054 Jam Code Won't Clear

Re: Ricoh MP 3054 Jam Code Won't Clear

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Hey all...didn't want to bring a thread back from the grave but I'm having some similar issues that have been discussed but haven't found a solution yet.

I have a Ricoh MP C3054 that has less than 30k on it and has a J001 jam code and shows it in section C right at the fuser upon boot up. The jam history in SP mode isn't helping at all, not showing a jam, only showing it jams at power on. I thought it was a fusing exit sensor issue, because in 5-803 input check, that sensor wouldn't change, so I replaced it only to find out that for some reason, the fusing exit and fusing entrance sensor are switched in comparison the the MP C3004 (I know different generations). So then I replaced the whole transfer roller section (section B) and boom, it fired up with no jam!! I thought I was done and then I ran a copy and after the first one it jammed in section B. I figured it was a fluke, so tried again, then it jammed same place. I cleared the jam once more, and now the same exact jam shows as when I started, J001 in the fuser section C.

In some threads I saw maybe some cover switches? I checked both the main and side door switches and all seem fine. The way the jams happened and displayed on the screen to me seemed like maybe a firmware issue, but I have since then updated it to no avail. I'm a bit stumped on this one...I should also note I have swapped the whole side door as well as fuser.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    J001 IS a jam found at power on or when a jam door is closed. It can also occur when the door open switch/sensor for a door that has to be opened in order to clear a given jam is not working so the machine thinks a previous jam has not been cleared. Flaky door switches can be a major PITA. Although J001 is never listed in the jam history, if it results from a previous jam that was not fully cleared, the last jam list in the history will be the offending jam and gives a good place to start.

A small scrap of paper can be where it can be seen by a reflective sensor. Some reflective sensors have a "black" patch that they look at such as in some doc feeders. When those get too much dust or paper lint built up it will cause them to not detect the trail edge of originals. And I have had flag sensors where the flag gets stuck.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP 3054 Jam Code Won't Clear

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    J001 IS a jam found at power on or when a jam door is closed. It can also occur when the door open switch/sensor for a door that has to be opened in order to clear a given jam is not working so the machine thinks a previous jam has not been cleared. Flaky door switches can be a major PITA. Although J001 is never listed in the jam history, if it results from a previous jam that was not fully cleared, the last jam list in the history will be the offending jam and gives a good place to start.

A small scrap of paper can be where it can be seen by a reflective sensor. Some reflective sensors have a "black" patch that they look at such as in some doc feeders. When those get too much dust or paper lint built up it will cause them to not detect the trail edge of originals. And I have had flag sensors where the flag gets stuck.
    Slim, as always I appreciate the fast response.

Unfortunately I was not able to figure this guy out and I made it a parts machine so I don't have an update to the solution as I would have liked. Thanks for your help though.