Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

IM C4500 CAP Error After Firmware Update

Hey, All,

Lately, after updating the firmware “package” on this model, we’ve gotten a handful of them sporting an error that they couldn’t communicate with a CAP server, even though CAP was never installed.

All machines have had SLNX installed, but I doubt that’s related.

We’ve needed to go into the WIM to uninstall CAP, but that’s a bit painful, especially if it’s on a bunch of ‘em, as frequently is the case.

Anyone else seen this, and if so, what have you done to rectify it?

Many thanks.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: IM C4500 CAP Error After Firmware Update

I wish I had an answer. I can say that over the last month I have used RFUT on a couple of C307's that froze up on me with the "cannot communicate with the SLNX server" message after the update was completed on my PC (@100%). Fortunately, all was well after a reboot. I suppose it would help if I even knew what a SLNX server was
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I suppose it would help if I even knew what a SLNX server was
    I could be wrong but I believe that it refers to Streamline NX. RICOH Streamline NX v3 Device Management Software | Ricoh USA

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe that it refers to Streamline NX. RICOH Streamline NX v3 Device Management Software | Ricoh USA
    Yes, it’s Streamline NX.

Also, since Device Manager NX (DMNX) has been discontinued, SLNX is its replacement.

SLNX combines CAP, ELP, and GlobalScan.

The older versions of SLNX (1.x and 2.x) had no device management, but SLNX 3.x has it built in, and actually looks a lot like DMNX.

Because of its versatility, SLNX can be licensed in a myriad of different ways.

BTW…I found in the firmware history for the IM C4500 that it contains updates for CAP and ELP in the package file. No idea as to why sometimes it pops up on the screen and sometimes not.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I wish I had an answer. I can say that over the last month I have used RFUT on a couple of C307's that froze up on me with the "cannot communicate with the SLNX server" message after the update was completed on my PC (@100%). Fortunately, all was well after a reboot. I suppose it would help if I even knew what a SLNX server was
    If you dig into its config files deep enough, you can find the URLs that RFUT goes out to for firmware.