Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP C2801 firmware update failed

From what we have been able to investigate, MP C2801 / MP C3301 seems to be a model exclusive to the Japan region and did not come out of there.
    As the slimslob colleague said, D086 is known as MPC3001/3501 in europe, so the firmware of the 3001/3501 series are compatible with this model 2801/3301 by design of the operating system. So be careful, you could stay with a nice and heavy, step on papers, if it were not the case.

PS. Slimslob you have overtaken me xD haha!!!!
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C2801 firmware update failed

Quote Originally Posted by sidorvm View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I have a problem with my Ricoh C2801. I tried to update firmware using Ricoh firmware update tool, but it failed in the middle for the update for unknown reason. Now my machine is dead and says waiting for firmware update upon every reboot.
    I tried to flash it multiple times with the official tool but no luck. I can see the machine in the tool and it seems to be available but can't flash it.

What I have tried so far:
    1) Tried to downgrade version -> Error
    2) Tried flashing using SD card.
    - I copied all *.rfu files to SD card romdata folder,
    - Renamed all *.fru files to *.fwu
    - inside romdata I placed fru files into separate folders with names like D086 etc. (found that this is necessary form Youtube)
    - Inserted SD card into second SD slot and turned on the machine.
    - Nothing happened
    3) From CLU.txt file I found some communication error related records and used Charles proxy to see what firmware update tool does. I found that it is trying to connect to printer over HTTPS port 443 and connection is getting refused. I was able to confirm the same using telnet from local machine. Seems like machine is not accepting HTTPS connections.
    4) I found few videos on Youtube from Ricoh dealer and fro, comments it seems like in order to get firmware for SD flashing I need to be a dealer.

Question:
    Can anyone please explain me how to get firmware for my machine and how to flash it using SD card.
    Seems like firmware which the official update tool downloading is not suitable for SD card flashing.
    Not a fan of the update tool for this very reason.

We are happy to help you with a complete set of firmware files to get you out of trouble.

Printer & Copier Firmware - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    As far as I can determine, the 28 ppm model was a very limited release, possibly only to Japan. Firmware should be the same as the C3001/C3301. The first of his images in the initial post is a list of the modules with version that he was trying to update to. Not knowing which one it hung on, he will require those exact modules in order for Firmware Update Recovery to continue the update.
    I checked, both on octopus and on the classic portal, the mp c2801 / 3301, it does not exist, it is only for the Japanese market
    it probably went like this, our friend tried to load the firmware, and the ricoh update tool made some mess....or maybe the controller, it was about to fail, and found the right moment!
    I think the suggestions are still valid, he should contact ricoh and see if they can get him the proper firmware, especially the Japanese system copy to resuscitate the controller ... また会うまで
    Last edited by luca72; 05-19-2022 at 08:17 AM.
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I have never seen this screen with an IP adress, it's probably waiting for the tool to continue the update. Can you access the webinterface?

D086 is known as MPC3001/3501 in europe.

I can help you with the *.fwu files for this series but I actually don't know if it's 100% compatible with your MPC2801.
    I can't rule out that - at least for some modules - the firmware for EU and JP might be different - in this case it could make things worse.
    Seems like my machine is the same as MPC3001/3501. Can you please share fwu files so that I can try to recover it. I hope this wont break it even more.
    Web interface is not available. I connect to machine over HTTP and I get 404 on the top page.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    you should essentially follow the procedure that Gift showed you, prepare an SD card partition the space so that it becomes 150-200mb fat32 with ROMDATA folder and inside only the "systemcopy" must necessarily start ... otherwise it is broken slot 2, which happened to me a few times .... the "C" button hold it down longer, maybe even 10 seconds, I don't even remember exactly
    You mean I need to make a FAT32 partition of size 150-200mb? I used 32GB card. may be that is also a mistake. Can you please share a detailed steps how to prepare the card.

You mean I need to make a FAT32 partition of size 150-200mb? I used 32GB card. may be that is also a mistake. Can you please share a detailed steps how to prepare the card.
    absolutely yes!...the more machines you go back, the less they support large sd, I suggested 150-200mb to be sure, but I also think 500mb or maybe 1gb are usable, to partition I use "minitool partition tools" for windows 10 (this function its free) but whatever you want is fine, put just the "system copy" for now, then do the others...the fast way its to use a old java sd card from scrapped machines...usualy are low capacity

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Technician

absolutely yes!...the more machines you go back, the less they support large sd, I suggested 150-200mb to be sure, but I also think 500mb or maybe 1gb are usable, to partition I use "minitool partition tools" for windows 10 (this function its free) but whatever you want is fine, put just the "system copy" for now, then do the others...the fast way its to use a old java sd card from scrapped machines...usualy are low capacity

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    Ok, got it. So I create FAT32 partition with ROMDATA folder and systemcopy inside. systemcopy is it a some sort of a command line tool? Where to get it?

Ok, got it. So I create FAT32 partition with ROMDATA folder and systemcopy inside. systemcopy is it a some sort of a command line tool? Where to get it?
    systemcopy its a main firmware module name, like engine, fax, printer, etc

Technician

systemcopy its a main firmware module name, like engine, fax, printer, etc
    where can I get the file?

where can I get the file?
    you must necessarily have access to the ricoh or octopus portals, in order to download it, I could have sent it to you, only that model is not present in our databases in Italy, and not even in Europe.
    I can not guarantee that it is compatible with firmware of other models mentioned above, try with what I think I understand you already had available