Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    RicohC5503 taking too long  process jobs

RicohC5503 taking too long process jobs

Customer has a Ricoh C5503 that takes a long time to print but the issue is immediately resolved by turning the copier's power switch off and then on again. After the power cycle the machine will print at normal speeds for quite a while but eventually returns to taking a very long time to process a print job. Any ideas much appreciated.

Also, FYI , some kind of a glitch in the forum, if you try to post a new thread and you make the thread title end with the word "print" the thread will show up in printable view and nobody will be able to reply to your threads. I just made that mistake..............
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: RicohC5503 taking too long process jobs

I had a problem with a C2501 years ago where it would actually stop accepting new print jobs. Cycling power would allow it to print everything in queue. After about 5 minutes of no new jobs, it would stop again. Turned out to be a bad 5 year old 32 port network switch.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts emiliorsg's Avatar

Does it happen on a single PC or on all the ones the client has? Is the driver and port configured correctly? not using wsd-protocol.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Customer has a Ricoh C5503 that takes a long time to print but the issue is immediately resolved by turning the copier's power switch off and then on again. After the power cycle the machine will print at normal speeds for quite a while but eventually returns to taking a very long time to process a print job. Any ideas much appreciated.

Also, FYI , some kind of a glitch in the forum, if you try to post a new thread and you make the thread title end with the word "print" the thread will show up in printable view and nobody will be able to reply to your threads. I just made that mistake..............
    I've encountered a similar problem in the past. It's been a while. I seem to recall it being a spooler issue. Or the wrong drivers. Remove all the old drivers that are no longer in use and reinstall the existing driver.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

As mentioned, maybe a spooling issue. Maybe duplicate ip address on network. Mostly agree with Slimslob, I would try another port switch. If you can ping it while it's offline, switch is probably ok. I remember something similar where it took a long time to print, but power cycling did not change status. Mother Ricoh at that point told me to backup address book, etc and reformat hdd or try another hdd. I reformatted and it worked fine again. Are they printing through a print server? Lots of people printing with universal driver, not a big fan of it, try specific driver. Also those V4 type drivers have caused me so much pain.

One more thought, many people try to install their own drivers several times creating an ip port like 192.168.1.45_2 these will cause issues.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I had a problem with a C2501 years ago where it would actually stop accepting new print jobs. Cycling power would allow it to print everything in queue. After about 5 minutes of no new jobs, it would stop again. Turned out to be a bad 5 year old 32 port network switch.
    +1 Had this yesterday
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

First thing to do is a test via laptop and direct lan connection, in most cases you'll see there is no prob with the MFP.

Check the drivers / ports (no class driver/wsd shit). Or just turn off WSD in web image monitor and wait for somebody who can't print anymore^^

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Definitely sounds like a network issue, but you may also want also check the memory DIMM's on the device. I had one that would stall every so often that turned out to be a loose DIMM from the office on the other side of the wall being renovated.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If the machine sits there and indicates "processing"on the display you have a hard drive that's going bad.

Good luck

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Agreed with Slimslob on this 1. Seems like a network fault. Most people and companies install networks (switches, cables, access points, etc) once off and expect it to last forever. It doesn't work that way. Networks are a living and ever growing organism. They go faulty and also need upgrading every few years. Especially considering how much networks have evolved.

I remember having the same problem at an engineering company. At first I thought the plans and drawings they were printing was too large. Long story short when the machine came into our workshop for some other issues I ran tests on it with the biggest print job files I could find. Machine printed perfectly and very fast each. Turned out it was the old old network at fault.

Step 1. Is to take your own laptop to the client. Connect it directly to the machine and run tests. This will tell you if its the machine or network and computers. Someone also suggested this.

If the machine prints fast then it is the network or computers.

Step 2. If the machine is still giving the same issue then its the hard drive or controller.

Best of luck friend