Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

C306Z hardware upgrade?

I have a Ricoh c306z, which seems to work but trying to upgrade firmware lately with the Ricoh Upgrade Tool it locks up and I have to power cycle it.

This reminds me of PCs acting up when memory modules are damaged and I wonder if there's a memory test function to confirm the memory module is healthy.

Also, I wonder if changing the module for a bigger one and swapping the hard drive for an SSD would make it any snappier. Any experience in that regard?, are memory and disk upgrades any good?
    Last edited by lurker1652; 06-08-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    C306Z hardware upgrade?

Re: C306Z hardware upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by lurker1652 View Post
    I have a Ricoh c306z, which seems to work but trying to upgrade firmware lately with the Ricoh Upgrade Tool it locks up and I have to power cycle it.

This remind me of PCs acting up when memory modules are damaged and I wonder if there's a memory test function to confirm the memory modules is healthy.

Also, I wonder if changing the module for a bigger one and swapping the hard drive for an SSD would make it any snappier. Any experience in that regard?, are memory and disk upgrades any good?
    The best & safest way to update the firmware is VIA the SD card method. The tool is very unreliable on many models & some users have ended up needing to replace the controller board after using the update tool after it fails half way through the process.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

This remind me of PCs acting up when memory modules are damaged and I wonder if there's a memory test function to confirm the memory modules is healthy.
    Currently it is in a trial period, but I have in 2 or 3 machines where the HDD, was replaced by an SSD because they were cheaper. And so far we have not noticed problems, the only difference has been that the device seems to boot the systems somewhat faster.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post
    Currently it is in a trial period, but I have in 2 or 3 machines where the HDD, was replaced by an SSD because they were cheaper. And so far we have not noticed problems, the only difference has been that the device seems to boot the systems somewhat faster.
    Good to know. What about memory?:
    1. Is there a memory test function?
    2. Is there a second channel to add another module?
    3. If not additional module, would it add any value going with a module bigger than 2GB?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    The best & safest way to update the firmware is VIA the SD card method. The tool is very unreliable on many models & some users have ended up needing to replace the controller board after using the update tool after it fails half way through the process.

Regarding the update, that would be my next step. The tool downloads and keeps the firmware files, so I will try with SD upgrade.

Just wanted to make sure memory module/s are healthy.

Good to know. What about memory?:
    1. Is there a memory test function?
    2. Is there a second channel to add another module?
    3. If not additional module, would it add any value going with a module bigger than 2GB?
    The problem with RAM is that we do not know the specifications of the speed BUS at which these memories must work in the controller.
    533mhz or 1333mhz? If you do the test there is a risk that you will not recognize the RAM by the frequency. And to place one of more capacity, it is unknown what is the maximum that tolerates.

By how they are physically we can intuit that they are DDR2 or DDR3 in some cases, and according to what I look at most are Samsung chip, but the PCB belongs to RICOH itself.

Regarding the subject of testing, if I can tell you that at least in my experience and used RAM modules of copiers / printers in laptops and have worked, it will be a way to make a Memtest (one of the best programs for RAM testing).
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    C306Z hardware upgrade?

Regarding the update, that would be my next step. The tool downloads and keeps the firmware files, so I will try with SD upgrade.

Just wanted to make sure memory module/s are healthy.
    The files that the tools downloads are not SD card firmware. They are either package firmware or remote firmware. Remote firmware files can be installed using WIM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I don't see the RAM as any potential bottleneck for a MPC306.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I don't see the RAM as any potential bottleneck for a MPC306.
    After many years, I have the theory that Ricoh mainly uses HDDs as Virtual Memory, instead of using RAM for said processes, being faster. This may be due to how the Operating System (or its kernel) is designed on machines. In fact, it reminds me a lot of how some somewhat older versions of Linux worked, forcing the generation of a specific partition to Virtualize Memory.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

This reminds me of PCs acting up when memory modules are damaged and I wonder if there's a memory test function to confirm the memory module is healthy.

look! if you want boost your ricoh mf, at zero cost, you can disable the java enviroment from user tools>exension feature>auto start>[deselect java]

for the rest...i suggest that is born unsteady, and dies so...LOL...i think that if ricoh in 2022 use a mechanical hdd, probabily there is a reason
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)