Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ricoh 171 washed out (light) printouts

Hello

I have an old Ricoh 171 SFP, where the printouts are washed out, also when printing Counter info or doing copies.
    PCU was replaced around 10.000 printouts ago (3 years ago).

First I did a "Force Toner Supply", but notice that the bottle and the Toner supply shaft are not turning. However, clutch and supply shaft are turning when clutch is manually activated in SP5 804-4. Also the shaft itself can be turned manually and has no problem to retract.

There is no errors (line toner empty), although when doing Developer initialization, an error SC392 occurs (The ID sensor does not detect a correct pattern during developer initialization).
    When checking the "ID Error Analysis" (SP2-221), i get those values:
    Vsg 4.09
    Vsp 3.70
    Pwm 106
    Vsdp 4.09
    Vt 1.01
    Vts 2.49

VSP is slowly getting higher over time.
    What are the normal values for those parameters?
    Is there any way to be sure, that ID sensor (I guess the one located in the side doors near the transfer roller) is the culprit? Is there any way to check this? Sensor itself is otherwise clean.
    Could be any other reason for the washed out prints?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ricoh 171 washed out (light) printouts

Perhaps any idea how troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks for any feedback.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh 171 washed out  (light) printouts

Regardless of the number of copies, three years is far too long to go without replacing the PCU. Also clean the laser shield glass.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Confirm you have correct toner in it as I believe 1013/2513 toner bottles are similar but ARE different.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

...I would also do a general cleaning, scanner, laser, around the PCU.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I think a pcu can keep up more than 3 years - of course the print quality won't be the bast but it should be OK'ish.

I can imagine that the paddels inside the hoppers are deformed or loosened - but this wouldn't explain the machine to refuse the force toner cycle.
    It would be helpful to compare the drum/dev/id values with a healthy machine.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spaceone View Post
    Hello

I have an old Ricoh 171 SFP, where the printouts are washed out, also when printing Counter info or doing copies.
    PCU was replaced around 10.000 printouts ago (3 years ago).

First I did a "Force Toner Supply", but notice that the bottle and the Toner supply shaft are not turning. However, clutch and supply shaft are turning when clutch is manually activated in SP5 804-4. Also the shaft itself can be turned manually and has no problem to retract.

There is no errors (line toner empty), although when doing Developer initialization, an error SC392 occurs (The ID sensor does not detect a correct pattern during developer initialization).
    When checking the "ID Error Analysis" (SP2-221), i get those values:
    Vsg 4.09
    Vsp 3.70
    Pwm 106
    Vsdp 4.09
    Vt 1.01
    Vts 2.49

VSP is slowly getting higher over time.
    What are the normal values for those parameters?
    Is there any way to be sure, that ID sensor (I guess the one located in the side doors near the transfer roller) is the culprit? Is there any way to check this? Sensor itself is otherwise clean.
    Could be any other reason for the washed out prints?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    clean well the internal laserbox poligon mirrors and all the internal glasses, I would also disassemble the pcdu (easy) and wash well the charge roller with soap and water, and the photoconduptor with alcool and a rag.
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Regardless of the number of copies, three years is far too long to go without replacing the PCU. Also clean the laser shield glass.
    Our office MP 171 is still running off its original PCU from 2009, granted we scan considerably more than we print as in all that time we've only put about 25,000 clicks on it. Output still looks good: solid blacks and clear half tones.

The laser glass still seems a good culprit in this case, especially at the age of the 1515 (2004 vintage machine). There's likely quite a bit of dust and other crud baked onto the laser optics by now, especially depending on its environment.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Cool Re: Ricoh 171 washed out (light) printouts

Two things to check :
    Its possible that the ID sensor came unplugged if the side door was ever removed. the plug is in the lower front of the machine. That would be the easiest fix.
    Also, I have had several customers install the toner in the machine with the cap on and forcibly close the hopper. That usually breaks the toner supply clutch. I am glad to hear retracts and springs back OK. Many times it stays retracted. The fact that the bottle does not turn when forced toner is ran makes me want to investigate the clutch further. I have had to drill the black plastic turning chuck out of several smashed clutches. I only hope the frame holding the clutch in place has not been broken.
    I do agree that the LSU window can get quite dusty over time and would most likely need cleaning.
    Hope our input helps.
    Have a great weekend!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Seems a bit strange. The machine should still produce a good copy/print. 3 years is a very long time to be off though.

Some things to try
    1) leave your machine on for a few days. Don't switch off. Don't unplug. Leaving it on may help return some charge to the parts and components.

2) run about 200 copies. Do them about 10 at time. With a 1 minute break in between. This will cycle the machine and components and help with charges and voltages.

3) are you using original developer and drum and toner? Generics are notorious for giving the wrong voltage readings. This in turn will affect your print quality.

Best of luck friend