Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MP C307 primary tray setting

Hi, All. I have a C307 with a second tray (500 sheet) added. It feeds fine from it, and I have it set in system settings to be the primary (default tray). However, copying and printing it is still defaulting to tray 1. Paper types and weight are identical in both trays. Why oh why is that happening?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP C307 primary tray setting

I could see it with printing if the driver or document specifies Tray 1 as the default.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All. I have a C307 with a second tray (500 sheet) added. It feeds fine from it, and I have it set in system settings to be the primary (default tray). However, copying and printing it is still defaulting to tray 1. Paper types and weight are identical in both trays. Why oh why is that happening?
    Interesting Mika.
    Can I ask why you want tray 2 to be the default? I'm assuming that they want to use a special paper or letterhead in tray 1?

Weirdly, It does appear that you can't just set tray 2 as the default for copying (even though it appears you can), so if I'm correct, the easiest solution would be to set the paper type for tray 1 in tray paper settings to "Letterhead" (or whatever you like). This will force Tray 2 the default tray and nothing will come out of tray 1 unless the specific paper type setting is selected in their printing preferences when they want to PRINT from it, or manually selecting it when copying.

Hope this helps

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Interesting Mika.
    Can I ask why you want tray 2 to be the default? I'm assuming that they want to use a special paper or letterhead in tray 1?

Weirdly, It does appear that you can't just set tray 2 as the default for copying (even though it appears you can), so if I'm correct, the easiest solution would be to set the paper type for tray 1 in tray paper settings to "Letterhead" (or whatever you like). This will force Tray 2 the default tray and nothing will come out of tray 1 unless the specific paper type setting is selected in their printing preferences when they want to PRINT from it, or manually selecting it when copying.

Hope this helps
    It might be due to the fact that tray 1 only holds 250 sheets whereas the paper banks hold 500 sheets.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It might be due to the fact that tray 1 only holds 250 sheets whereas the paper banks hold 500 sheets.
    Could be. We'll see what Mika says.
    The machine will automatically go to tray 2 if tray 1 runs out, so I'm not sure why just simple tray capacity would matter -although as we know some customers can just be real PIA's

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Could be. We'll see what Mika says.
    The machine will automatically go to tray 2 if tray 1 runs out, so I'm not sure why just simple tray capacity would matter -although as we know some customers can just be real PIA's
    Could be the fact that 500 sheets is a full package of paper.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Shouldn't be a big deal - check if "auto paper select" isn't disabled for tray 2 (or, as a workaround, just disable it for tray 1 in the paper type setting for tray 1).
    Also make shure that auto paper select is the default setting in copy mode and in printer driver setting.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and selected tray 2 on the copy screen and programmed that screen as default, then instructed the client to set tray 2 as default in their driver preferences. That's working for now. The real matter in this particular clusterfuck is that they went from a c5502 to a c307 which they hate. Smaller, slower, tray 1 capacity is 50% less, and so on.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

dont you just love cheap customers and then they complain about what they paid for? lol

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and selected tray 2 on the copy screen and programmed that screen as default, then instructed the client to set tray 2 as default in their driver preferences. That's working for now. The real matter in this particular clusterfuck is that they went from a c5502 to a c307 which they hate. Smaller, slower, tray 1 capacity is 50% less, and so on.
    It’s like going from a Corvette to a Cavalier.

What, they’re both Chevies!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins