Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

IM C4500 - Magnetic Roller with absence of Developer.

Good dear colleagues, have all good impression, xD.

I bring you a case, which we are going to report to Ricoh, but I expose it here for popular knowledge.
    RELEVANT DATA:
    - IM C4500, new machine installation, unsealed in client. 28-01-2022
    - The user / client makes prints of poster type (images and little text), is using mostly yellow and greenish tones.
    - After 42,169 (color) and 6,315 (black) prints, the machine generated lumps in the Yellow Developing Unit. 20-05-2022
    4e3cf34a.jpg d13d4b3a.jpg
    - Before the replacement of the Unit, it was carried out:
    1º Purge of the Developer component, passing it through a fine filter to remove lumps.
    2º Purge and replacement of toner.
    NO effect arose. A few copies/prints later the problem reappeared.
    - A replacement of the Revealing Unit was made. Not of the complete PCDU, since the Drum is still in good condition.
    - After a while, currently 83,849 (color) and 13,578 (black) prints, the machine again generated lumps in the Yellow Revealed Unit. 22-08-2022
    839a2bf1.jpg 5466343d.jpg b40aee7d.jpg a31d89a0.jpg
    - Another change of Revealed Unit was made.

We have ruled out that the problem may come from the toner, since the removed (supposedly defective) was placed in another client and NOT presented this failure.
    We are not aware of poor quality remittances from Toner.
    Could this user/client require custom settings to use one color more than the rest?
    Can the shake of the mixture between developer and toner be adjusted?
    Rest of operation of the machine is totally normal.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: IM C4500 - Magnetic Roller with absence of Developer.

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post

I bring you a case, which we are going to report to Ricoh, but I expose it here for popular knowledge.
    RELEVANT DATA:
    - The user / client makes prints of poster type (images and little text), is using mostly yellow and greenish tones.
    - After 42,169 (color) and 6,315 (black) prints, the machine generated lumps in the Yellow Developing Unit. 20-05-2022
    1º Purge of the Developer component, passing it through a fine filter to remove lumps.
    - A replacement of the Revealing Unit was made. Not of the complete PCDU, since the Drum is still in good condition.
    - After a while, currently 83,849 (color) and 13,578 (black) prints, the machine again generated lumps in the Yellow Revealed Unit. 22-08-2022

We have ruled out that the problem may come from the toner, since the removed (supposedly defective) was placed in another client and NOT presented this failure.
    Could this user/client require custom settings to use one color more than the rest?

We have also been experiencing this issue on the IMC range.

You can run a paper etc under the mag roller to 'move' the obstruction away to the side this usually works.

We have stripped the DV unit down & found it is caused by a hard lump of toner.

Moving the toner bottle to another machine won't really rule that toner out as it only takes one small lump to cause this issue.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

RELEVANT DATA:

since the machine is new, I think it depends on the humidity conditions, and on the amount of time the development groups inside the machine have been exposed during shipping or storage time, personally I think that problem is easily solved by rotating the gear by hand. development group back and forth a few times, maybe even explain to the customer (unless he has already done so) to set the "quality" function in the driver, I think that by rotating more slowly, the groups will tend to pull up less shit from the bottom.
    Last edited by luca72; 08-30-2022 at 01:51 PM.
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Are you using original toner? Can't see anywhere in your original post that mentions it.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You most likely have toner or paper dust stuck to the edge of the doctor blade. The part number for the Paper Dust Cleaner and instructions on how to use can be found in the Pro 1357 service manual.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech
    We have also been experiencing this issue on the IMC range.
    You can run a paper etc under the mag roller to 'move' the obstruction away to the side this usually works.
    We have stripped the DV unit down & found it is caused by a hard lump of toner.
    Moving the toner bottle to another machine won't really rule that toner out as it only takes one small lump to cause this issue.
    Exactly what you describe happens, "lumps" are generated in the unit, but despite performing that step you indicate, I do not solve the situation in the first instance, hence we saw the need to do what has already been described.
    It is interesting to know that there is already a history that BMIs can have this problem, but reasons to report it to RICOH.

Quote Originally Posted by luka72
    Since the machine is new, I think it depends on the humidity conditions, and on the amount of time the development groups inside the machine have been exposed during shipping or storage time, personally I think that problem is easily solved by rotating the gear by hand. development group back and forth a few times, maybe even explain to the customer (unless he has already done so) to set the "quality" function in the driver, I think that by rotating more slowly, the groups will tend to pull up less shit from the bottom.
    I will take into account the environmental factors for the next visit, but I personally did not detect anything. Even so, I will check the internal parameters to see what the machine detects.
    What catches our attention is that it has already been necessary, two substitutions of Developing Unit, and with the same problem and only in the color Yellow ...
    Although the advice to print in "quality mode" is not a bad idea, they will be indicated to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh
    Are you using original toner? Can't see anywhere in your original post that mentions it.
    I did not see it necessary to indicate it, so I warned that we do not know from the official circles (original toner), that there are reports of remittances in poor condition.
    And that's why we tried another remittance, in case we were the first to detect this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob
    You most likely have toner or paper dust stuck to the edge of the doctor blade. The part number for the Paper Dust Cleaner and instructions on how to use can be found in the Pro 1357 service manual.
    I will review the manual you mention, but I do not think that you can disassemble the BMI Revealed Unit like the PRO you mention, it is more as I see the piece it seems that trying to "disassemble" it can cause it to become unusable and it is not my intention.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts emiliorsg's Avatar

I have had the same problem in some c4503 and normally, as Luca says, moving the gears forward and backward and passing a paper through the blade has solved it, although I have also had to change the development unit several times.
    I think that the storage conditions of the toner in the manufacturers are also very important.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I will review the manual you mention, but I do not think that you can disassemble the BMI Revealed Unit like the PRO you mention, it is more as I see the piece it seems that trying to "disassemble" it can cause it to become unusable and it is not my intention.
    I have used the Paper Dust Cleaner on any model showing the same symptoms you are having. The Pro 1357 service manual is the only place, other than Ricoh's tools and service supplies catalog, where the part number is mentioned. It can also be used on other makes though I'm sure they have their own tool.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have used the Paper Dust Cleaner on any model showing the same symptoms you are having. The Pro 1357 service manual is the only place, other than Ricoh's tools and service supplies catalog, where the part number is mentioned. It can also be used on other makes though I'm sure they have their own tool.
    Do you have the page number in that manual? Or the part #?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3ktlc View Post
    Do you have the page number in that manual? Or the part #?
    Just search paper dust cleaner