Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Firmware update "E71" multiple models

As the title says, I get this error quite often on machines I pick up for resale; However, it seems to be more prominent on some - for example, I'm not sure I've ever had an MP C306 that didn't generate this error, and most of my MP501's do too.

The same machines also fail if I visit the Application site and try that way, but it just says something like "server unavailable"

I've looked around and just can't find much info on this one.

Most recently, I picked up 5 of the IM 430F machines from the same end user.
    All units were configured seemingly identically, and were all used on the same network.
    3 of the 5 units give me an E71, and 2 went through the process and updated properly via SP mode.

This is by no means a huge problem as I have access to the firmware to do it manually, I'm just interested/ curious to know if anyone has insight into why some work and some don't?

Thanks!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts davidmtupper's Avatar

Re: Firmware update "E71" multiple models

It may have to do with what firmware is currently on the copier. Some of the early firmwares had the option for network update but it wasn't actually usable until a later firmware was installed. This may or may not be the case with your systems but I have had it happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtupper View Post
    It may have to do with what firmware is currently on the copier. Some of the early firmwares had the option for network update but it wasn't actually usable until a later firmware was installed. This may or may not be the case with your systems but I have had it happen to me.
    Thanks.
    I think that can sometimes be the case, but as I said, I can update manually, but the SP mode update stills gives the same error

Retired 10,000+ Posts

In order for the SP mode firmware update to work, there are other things that have to be set first to tell it where to get the firmware. One time in just one model I did see a list of the communication error codes you could encounter using the SP firmware update option but I can't remember what model it was. I can't even remember if it was B/W or Color. I do remember that 71 was one of them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

E71 Network connection error

Auto Remote Firmware Update Settings

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    E71 Network connection error

Auto Remote Firmware Update Settings
    Thanks for this.
    I'm wondering if these are the settings required for older boxes, prior to models with SOP? (I'm unable to X-Ref the MT-C6 to determine the model #).
    While I know nothing about Proxy Servers, and don't have any credentials/ permissions to setup or use @remote, I can say that some of the SP modes (Ie: SP5-819-062) don't exist, and none of the other proxy SP's are configured - either on machines that update properly or that display the E71, error so I don't think this is my solution in this case.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    As the title says, I get this error quite often on machines I pick up for resale; However, it seems to be more prominent on some - for example, I'm not sure I've ever had an MP C306 that didn't generate this error, and most of my MP501's do too.

The same machines also fail if I visit the Application site and try that way, but it just says something like "server unavailable"

I've looked around and just can't find much info on this one.

Most recently, I picked up 5 of the IM 430F machines from the same end user.
    All units were configured seemingly identically, and were all used on the same network.
    3 of the 5 units give me an E71, and 2 went through the process and updated properly via SP mode.

This is by no means a huge problem as I have access to the firmware to do it manually, I'm just interested/ curious to know if anyone has insight into why some work and some don't?

Thanks!!
    I can usually get past this by updating the engine and system copy modules first, then updating the rest of the modules, all or package files afterwards. You might also try the previous versions as they are available, THEN do the current version after.

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    I can usually get past this by updating the engine and system copy modules first, then updating the rest of the modules, all or package files afterwards. You might also try the previous versions as they are available, THEN do the current version after.
    Just to be clear.....
    I am able to update the firmware with SD card with either package or romdata files without issue, I'm just unable to use the SP mode or Application Site to update the firmware on many machines.
    Again, while it's not a big deal at all, I'm just curious when I have acquired multiple identical models from the exact same location, why I'm able to update some in that fashion, and the others error out?

I do appreciate the input.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Just to be clear.....
    I am able to update the firmware with SD card with either package or romdata files without issue, I'm just unable to use the SP mode or Application Site to update the firmware on many machines.
    Again, while it's not a big deal at all, I'm just curious when I have acquired multiple identical models from the exact same location, why I'm able to update some in that fashion, and the others error out?

Sounds like something the previous dealer had setup like @Remote and did not get it removed on al of them.I believe the SP mode Update actually uses the @remote server, but if the machine is configured to use a RCG, Remote Communication Gate, it will error if the RCG is not found. Check the setting of SP 5816-021 and 062.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Just to be clear.....

If you can update the firmware via Sd card with out any issues but you only have issues using the online update but ONLY at this same site I would speak to this site IT dept sounds like they have blocked ports etc.

As a simple fix to rule out client network connect a Ricoh device to dummy network tethered to your cell phone & initiate a network update.

This will run the update outside of the client network environment.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk