Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Firmware update "E71" multiple models

Re: Firmware update "E71" multiple models

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

If you can update the firmware via Sd card with out any issues but you only have issues using the online update but ONLY at this same site I would speak to this site IT dept sounds like they have blocked ports etc.

As a simple fix to rule out client network connect a Ricoh device to dummy network tethered to your cell phone & initiate a network update.

This will run the update outside of the client network environment.
    I think that he has a bunch of used machines he is wanting to update in his shop before placing them with new customers. Normal operation here in the colonies. He is his own IT department.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I think that he has a bunch of used machines he is wanting to update in his shop before placing them with new customers. Normal operation here in the colonies. He is his own IT department.
    That's exactly what I'm doing.
    These machines at one point or another are all connected to my own network for testing, updating, etc. and I'm just trying to find an answer to what seems to be turning into a more difficult question than expected.

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar

E71: Network communication error occurs at the reserved date/time of the package firmware update from the network.

Ricoh had a problem with the "Network Support" file in a particular package firmware update. There was a problem across multiple models including the ones you listed. After the "Network Support" firmware piece is updated, the "device encounter fax document" disappears. Once Ricoh found the error it unpublished the package firmware worldwide including the Application site. I believe there were some TSB's published as to which package firmware versions to avoid. I'm sure there are machines in the field that have these "corrupt" versions and were never updated. Hopefully, this might explain some of the reasons for the E71 error.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricoh-ono View Post
    E71: Network communication error occurs at the reserved date/time of the package firmware update from the network.

Ricoh had a problem with the "Network Support" file in a particular package firmware update. There was a problem across multiple models including the ones you listed. After the "Network Support" firmware piece is updated, the "device encounter fax document" disappears. Once Ricoh found the error it unpublished the package firmware worldwide including the Application site. I believe there were some TSB's published as to which package firmware versions to avoid. I'm sure there are machines in the field that have these "corrupt" versions and were never updated. Hopefully, this might explain some of the reasons for the E71 error.
    These are not scheduled updates. I'm trying to manually update via SP mode

Again, I currently have 5 of the IM430's at my shop (for example), purchased from the exact same location.
    I can't say that they all had the exact same firmware modules, but I'm fairly they sure they were at least very close, as they were all purchased from the same dealer, and installed at nearly the same time.
    3 were giving E71 errors when attempting to update via SP mode, and 2 of them I was able to update either via SP mode, or the App site.
    I updated the 3 machines manually, and the other 2 via SP mode. They now have all the exact same F/W levels, yet I still have the same E71 on 3 units.

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar

Understood. According to Ricoh, this E71 occurs when the firmware is updated via the following methods: Application Site, Streamline NX v3, Device Manager NX Pro/Enterprise, and Service Menu (SP Mode). Why you still have it happening on 3 of the 5 machines after the update, I can't answer.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Tech 100+ Posts emiliorsg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds like something the previous dealer had setup like @Remote and did not get it removed on al of them.I believe the SP mode Update actually uses the @remote server, but if the machine is configured to use a RCG, Remote Communication Gate, it will error if the RCG is not found. Check the setting of SP 5816-021 and 062.
    I think the same. Those machines would be connected to @remote and the configuration was not deleted.